Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 05:05 PM

45,572 posts, read 60,857,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggumbo View Post
I'm thinking about just applying to be one (as a back up plan) so that I won't have any sort of gaps in my employment background.

Would it look "bad" in anyway though since it's not even close to being related to what I want to do? I never want to work as an actual educator.

My issue is that if I'm going to be applying for part time jobs while I'm also looking for a full time job, I want the part time job to be helping my resume, ya know? At this point, anything is better than nothing, so I apply for everything from waitress/hostessing positions to retail.
Just know what you're getting yourself into. Most subs are not there to "get a feel" to see if they want to teach, unless they have their certification and are trying to get a foot in the door, but for the paycheck. And school systems know that.

As far as impacting your job search, you're making money while unemployed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 05:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,710 posts, read 81,563,799 times
Do you have the required certification? Here in our District you must have a state teaching certificate and pass a background check to work as a substitute. The certificate requires a BA and completion of a teacher preparation course at an accredited college.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:22 PM

533 posts, read 1,114,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Just know what you're getting yourself into. Most subs are not there to "get a feel" to see if they want to teach, unless they have their certification and are trying to get a foot in the door, but for the paycheck. And school systems know that.

As far as impacting your job search, you're making money while unemployed.
Yeah, I'm simply looking at it as a way to get a paycheck AND to avoid gaps in my resume. I never want to be a teacher; no offense to educators on this forum, I'm not trying to say I'm above the work of a teacher or anything like that, simply that someone like me would not make a good full time teacher (I can't deal with children for extended periods of time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Do you have the required certification? Here in our District you must have a state teaching certificate and pass a background check to work as a substitute. The certificate requires a BA and completion of a teacher preparation course at an accredited college.
Where I'm at you simply have to have a background check done and registered fingerprints, then fill out a paper application (welcome to the education system of the south y'allllllllll, none of that fancy teacher prep coursework for subs here! haha).

Old 11-17-2013, 06:57 PM

10,116 posts, read 19,447,126 times
Ok, look....just apply and get accepted on the sub list. Even if you never get a single call for an assignment, you can always say " ....substitute teacher with happytown ISD 2013--2014" Then it doesn't look loike you've been unemployed for a long stretch, I'm assuming that is your main goal......whatever works.....

Old 11-17-2013, 09:28 PM

3,776 posts, read 4,125,825 times
Yes, it is a very bad idea if you value your life and self-worth. However, it is worth pursuing to 1) plug the gap in your resume, 2) teach you many things about life that you never learned in school, and 3) it will give you the motivation to quickly find a job to your liking so you won't have to put up with the school administration. Good luck.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:56 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,968,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Nope. Honest work is never bad.
Agreed about honest work never being.

The main problem is that given the stress-to-pay ratio, its one of the worst jobs around. Subs are even less supported by administration than are teachers and that's saying something.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:00 PM

3,776 posts, read 4,125,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Agreed about honest work never being.

The main problem is that given the stress-to-pay ratio, its one of the worst jobs around. Subs are even less supported by administration than are teachers and that's saying something.

You are correct. Subs are treated like garbage by school administrators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment