Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 08:13 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,599,381 times

Advertisements

robots they dont complain get tired, get pregnant, get sickm in fight, bicker, or get drunk or high or quit or rant about their rights and your discrimination.
what is pay?? a few drops of oil now and then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 08:26 PM

29,887 posts, read 25,028,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
robots they dont complain get tired, get pregnant, get sickm in fight, bicker, or get drunk or high or quit or rant about their rights and your discrimination.
what is pay?? a few drops of oil now and then.
$350/hr service call, $500 - 5K replacement parts, workers to maintain and operate the equipment ($10-$15/hr), workers to set the equipment up ($15-$22/hr) workers to program the equipment (60-100K/year)... There are plenty of expenses involved. What's more, management tends to wildly underestimate these expenses, while overestimating the actual market demand for their output, when jumping at the chance to invest. Plenty of companies make huge investments in "automation", only to find themselves bankrupt or barely getting by in a couple of years.

What many companies find themselves doing... They invest millions in automated equipment. Suddenly, their capacity is vastly expanded, while their pool of available work is increased only marginally. What do you do when your plant is not running at 80% capacity? You go out and bid on more work. What you end up doing is underbidding on jobs just to fill up idle time. The plant doesn't make much return on this time. Aside from this, some jobs inevitably overshoot their estimated time. Suddenly, the plant is losing money on many of their jobs, and barely bringing in enough money to cover these loses on the rest.

There are countless plants literally prostituting themselves out in this fashion. In this case, automation is a terrible investment. They go right back to nickle and diming their workers, and finding people who will work for peanuts, just to remain viable and competitive... Inevitably, people leave, company if forced to retrain, equipment isn't running at peak capacity until worker learns, and after a year, they leave. The process is repeated countless times, as if it's a Walmart or something.

Where I see automation working the best... Manufacturers who have their own product line, and selling huge volumes. For the smaller "job shops" running on razor thin profit margins, there's just too much competition, way too much debt required, and many are just one recession away from being completely wiped out. Invest in something else... Just don't invest millions expecting to do someone elses work. Be a plumber if you want to go that route. Much easier to lay everyone off during a recession and vacation in the Keys.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:30 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,992,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I don't think anyone is teaching them that. I think they are coming to that conclusion on their own. You see, they were taught to believe that they were special by parents, teachers and the school system in general. When the class performed poorly on a test, the test was graded at a curve. When they got a C in a class, they were congratulated on a good effort.

So when they enter the private sector and find that they aren't as valuable as they once believed, things don't compute. Why, if I'm not getting by, there must be a problem! Naturally, they believe it is the system that is the problem, and not a fault on their part. This translates into unreasonable beliefs like burger flippers deserving $15/hr and unreasonable minimum wage hikes.

There are winners, and there are losers. That's the way it has always been. That won't change just because an entire generation was given a trophy for trying.
It is a problem with the system. The system pushed them through even if they didn't actually deserve to be pushed through. The emperor will be naked until enough people step up and tell him he isn't actually wearing clothes. Same thing happens when you are told you are a winner enough and then you enter the real world you end up not even able to get an LCD job.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:35 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,345,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It is a problem with the system. The system pushed them through even if they didn't actually deserve to be pushed through. The emperor will be naked until enough people step up and tell him he isn't actually wearing clothes. Same thing happens when you are told you are a winner enough and then you enter the real world you end up not even able to get an LCD job.
I'm not even sure it's that. I think what it comes down to is that there is currently an economic revolution of sorts that's taking place, and we're kind of in the middle of this gray area. We're too close to the economic system that we grew up with. I can remember the final days of industrial plants which offered close to lifetime employment and large pensions. Then came early retirement. Then came lay-offs to gut retirement, and then there was this idea that the individual had to save up for his own retirement. I'm not going on some ideological bent here - just noting the trend. In my short lifetime, my lifespan began with lifetime or near lifetime (25-30 years) retirement + a company lapel pin.

What we've got now is completely different. I think we've moved into an age in which people are replaced by robots; one person's doing the work of two or three people; drones are threatening to replace delivery drivers; and temp-to-hire workers are permanently temp. I think we're moving to an age in which 'employment' needs to be reconsidered. We're used to having one job for the day. The generations of tomorrow might well work two, or maybe three. But more so, they will probably end up working for themselves and marketing their own individual talents to their friends, neighbors, fellow churchgoers and the like. Things like 3D printing and E-bay will enable people to become their own producers, and in some cases, people will consume the very things they produce, so that they don't always have to do work for anyone.

The problem is, our institutions, our schools, and everyone else haven't really picked up on this yet. We're using old measuring sticks. In truth, the economy is moving on with or without us. The good news is, humans are adaptable creatures. We'll figure this out. We'll keep the good, we'll sort out and rectify the bad. Might take some time though.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I'm not even sure it's that.
I'd argue that the education system is still pumping people out who may serve better to be held back a year or two or even suggested to opt out. We want to teach to the bottom to get graduation rates up and it makes us worse. Not only that but parents don't take the same interest as those in Asian countries. This is the main reason we are trailing in the tests, they use tools that either we don't care about or don't even know exists.

Quote:
I think what it comes down to is that there is currently an economic revolution of sorts that's taking place, and we're kind of in the middle of this gray area. We're too close to the economic system that we grew up with. I can remember the final days of industrial plants which offered close to lifetime employment and large pensions. Then came early retirement. Then came lay-offs to gut retirement, and then there was this idea that the individual had to save up for his own retirement. I'm not going on some ideological bent here - just noting the trend. In my short lifetime, my lifespan began with lifetime or near lifetime (25-30 years) retirement + a company lapel pin.
My parents lived a lot different than most in the time I've grown up. My mother only worked for the DOD for her entire career. My father worker for the town for my entire life. Many parents of millennials have been through two or three companies without considering buyouts and mergers.

Quote:
What we've got now is completely different. I think we've moved into an age in which people are replaced by robots; one person's doing the work of two or three people; drones are threatening to replace delivery drivers; and temp-to-hire workers are permanently temp. I think we're moving to an age in which 'employment' needs to be reconsidered. We're used to having one job for the day. The generations of tomorrow might well work two, or maybe three. But more so, they will probably end up working for themselves and marketing their own individual talents to their friends, neighbors, fellow churchgoers and the like. Things like 3D printing and E-bay will enable people to become their own producers, and in some cases, people will consume the very things they produce, so that they don't always have to do work for anyone.
I agree. Technology has only hit the tip of the iceberg in many cases.

Quote:
The problem is, our institutions, our schools, and everyone else haven't really picked up on this yet. We're using old measuring sticks. In truth, the economy is moving on with or without us. The good news is, humans are adaptable creatures. We'll figure this out. We'll keep the good, we'll sort out and rectify the bad. Might take some time though.
This is because we are chasing Moore's Law. Technology is speeding up dramatically. Schools cannot keep up with it. While humans are adaptable, some are just too stubborn or stupid to realize it until they cannot work anymore. The issue to me is, will this new technological based economy lead to more entrepreneurship (albeit localized) or will it turn into the days before the French revolution where business owners and politicians have all the wealth and everyone else is forced to eat cake because bread costs too much.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:07 AM

7,942 posts, read 7,860,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I don't think anyone is teaching them that. I think they are coming to that conclusion on their own. You see, they were taught to believe that they were special by parents, teachers and the school system in general. When the class performed poorly on a test, the test was graded at a curve. When they got a C in a class, they were congratulated on a good effort.

So when they enter the private sector and find that they aren't as valuable as they once believed, things don't compute. Why, if I'm not getting by, there must be a problem! Naturally, they believe it is the system that is the problem, and not a fault on their part. This translates into unreasonable beliefs like burger flippers deserving $15/hr and unreasonable minimum wage hikes.

There are winners, and there are losers. That's the way it has always been. That won't change just because an entire generation was given a trophy for trying.
That might be true to a point but the concept folds in on itself. To what manner and what extent can baby boomers retire without selling off their stocks and other investments to a 2nd party that does not fully exist?

Does the private sector really value anything at this point? Everything is mass produced by a machine. The logistics of selling anything on a wide scale are lower now then before.

Let's not also forget that companies can be owned by other companies fully or in part but often times these percentages are so low that they cannot vote on various issues and expect an impact. Proxy fights are the nature of the game now (look at Carl Ichon with Apple)

So if your customers are outsourced
So if your employees are outsourced
So if your owners are outsourced

A business has to be sustainible in order to survive. The larger it gets the harder that is to accomplish because the variables keep multiplying. It's one thing to deal with domestic tax rates, regulations, currency rates, interest rates, labor costs etc. But managing that with dozens of countries is insane. Yes there's firms like BDO but how much work can they do for everyone?
Then what?

Old 12-10-2013, 12:10 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,075,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
$1,215 is chump change given the large gap in median salary levels by level of education.

21% in 6 years is hardly out of line.

it is when wages have not kept pace......

Old 12-11-2013, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
it is when wages have not kept pace......
I think that is the meat and potatoes of it. Sure the wages maybe "free market valued" but the fact is the FMV wages haven't kept up with the COL in many areas. This is great if you are in the south but not if you are anywhere else where the COL is higher.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:16 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,645,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
If I have a company that made products, I'd much rather train the people I have working for me. I'd rather them know exactly how I want something done than how some hack at a community college wants it done.
I've taken community college course, they are terrible. I learned one thing, it's a big ****ing book sales scam.
Sure, I bet there are some decent classes, but few and far between.
9 times out of 10 the graduates will still need to be trained.

What about the people who have to work 2 full time jobs to make ends meet? You can not go to school and work 80 hours.
I'm working 72 hours and I barely have time to eat let alone school.

The whole system is ****.

There are so many openings but no one is hiring.
The ones that are hiring tend to only hire friends and family.
Then you have the **** jobs that suck terribly that are always hiring like cab driving.

A lot needs to be done to incentivize companies to hire, and people to gain skills, and make it easier for them to do so.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment