Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 04:33 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,279,429 times

Advertisements

Based on all factors mentioned, I would stay with the current position in this employment market. Sometimes money isnt every thing. As others have mentioned, you could always meet your old boss in a few months and discuss it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 04:42 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,808 times
No pension? No brainier!

Old 01-01-2014, 07:03 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,684,215 times
I once left a good job for a much higher paying job. And, to be sure, I did make more money in the new job. However, my new work colleagues were pretty much a bunch of idiots. It was hard for me to believe that they could gather so many dumb people in one place. In short, it wasn't much fun. I eventually retired early.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:20 PM

151 posts, read 258,216 times
Cowherjaw,

My boss left 10 years ago b/c of office politics to go back to his old technical position at Boeing (Hughes) satellite division. He wasn't in a position to hire people and it was a different field which I didn't have experience in. In addition, it is a highly unstable group at Boeing. They are laying off people right now on a voluntary basis so my boss took the buyout package and went back to the old company because his nemesis is no longer there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherjaw View Post
Your gut will tell you what to do, but I am curious as to why your boss went back to the old company, what role he went back into compared to his previous role, and why didn't he recruit you in the 9 year period you were apart?

Old 01-01-2014, 07:28 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,351 times
I would also stay, you worked 3 years for this promotion and now you are leaving? Seems like a waste! And the other job has more hours? Nah- I'd stay!

Old 01-01-2014, 07:42 PM

Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for your input. Your advice in general basically confirmed my inclination to stay put. Although the base salary of $125k is very appealing I am uneasy about taking it. Once I leave, there is no chance going back to my current company if it doesn't work out. The two companies have been suing each other in three or four different lawsuits so there is a lot of bad feelings going both ways. By staying, my option of returning to the previous employer remains open. Like you said, I need to establish myself in the "Principal Engineer" position for a while eventhough I will be doing the same job. My former boss and I are close enough so I will tell him that I am not ready. I play golf with him 3 or 4 times a year so I will try to assess the current work environment there before reconsidering the comeback.

Many Thanks,

Last edited by MattNguyen; 01-01-2014 at 07:52 PM..

Old 01-01-2014, 08:03 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,818,729 times
I'd have to ask this though. When it's your former "employer" is this just one person or some official communications.

I ask this because I worked in an environment where some managers would promise others various things that they were naiive to believe (not to say you are) but when reality kicked in they left.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:49 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Congrats! Sounds like the right decision.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:10 PM

I didn't want to come into the plant for a formal interview b/c rumors will fly immediately as there are a bunch of people there with friends at my company.

I met my former boss who is the Engineering Manager, the Sales Manager, and the HR Manager for lunch and numbers were thrown around. Eventhough it was non-official, I believe these guys are serious and have the authority to make it happens as discussed.

My name has been changed just to be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I'd have to ask this though. When it's your former "employer" is this just one person or some official communications.

I ask this because I worked in an environment where some managers would promise others various things that they were naiive to believe (not to say you are) but when reality kicked in they left.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:06 AM

20 posts, read 24,653 times
At this point in your career, certainly you have to assess the goals that you have set for yourself...

For example, are you willing to trade the extra income for less time with your family? Also, you mentioned about the volatility of the new offer. Do you save so that you have that blanket to cover for the months that you will spend looking for a new job, if you were to leave the company?

Of course, working with a boss you love will be a really big point, since many resentments and unhappiness at work usually is a direct result of the person you report to, not so much of the environment itself... I've had a boss making sarcastic remarks all the time and disrespect any decisions of his employees...that was really terrible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment