Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 07:05 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,033,677 times

Advertisements

A few random points:

1) The actual unemployment rate is well north of 10% - depending upon what sources you believe, it could be close to 20%. The "headline" numbers don't count: those who have run out of benefits, the barely employed, the grossly underemployed, those who have never entered the workforce, those who were forced to retire early, those who are "self-employed" for resume purposes, but effectively out of work. And then there are all the people who stick around in grad school to avoid the horrible job market and thus are effectively unemployed. No, the headline numbers are worthless and the U6 number isn't much better.

2) Those who are out of work haven't done anything wrong. It is a popular theme around here and in various far-right wing circuits full of "boot-strappers" to blast the unemployed as lazy, stupid, etc. The reality is that there simply are nowhere near enough jobs for everyone who needs work, and jobs continue to vanish every day. Millions of middle class jobs have been lost, and of the fewer jobs created, nearly all are part-time poverty wage work. So, we're left with people who simply will not be able to find work because there isn't any to be found.

Unfortunately this reality is lost on the "boot-strappers" who spin yarns about how "back in my day, I got a job at the mill when I was 18. It was hard work, but I retired from there, so people today are just lazy!" Nevermind that the mill has been gone for 10+ years, and the companies that used the mill's products now build most of their goods overseas or, if they still have a presence in this nation, they employ a fraction of the workers now than they did years ago. No, it is still clearly the "fault" of the unemployed.

3) What separates them? A job - that's it. There's no shortage of self-proclaimed "special" people out there - not saying you're one of them - who honestly believe they will never be unemployed. They are "too smart" or "too skilled." All of which is utter BS. This nation has no shortage of smart, skilled, and hardworking people who are out of work and basically declared "unemployable" thanks to greedy corporations, idiotic hiring policies, and hateful views on those who are out of work. Unemployment can happen to anyone at any time. Even the self-employed can effectively be unemployed if their business goes deep into the red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 07:22 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post

3) What separates them? A job - that's it.
Sure. How did those that have a job find the job while others failed to do that?

Old 02-10-2014, 07:23 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,844,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest
What separates the employed from the unemployed?
Employment status.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:29 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Employment status.
Sure. How did those that are employed got employed while others failed to do that?

Old 02-10-2014, 07:33 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,844,539 times
Quote:
How did those that are employed got employed while others failed to do that?
Somebody decided to hire those that became employed or they started their own businesses. The unemployed either just sit on their asses or no employer has decided to hire them.

Quote:
What is the majority of the population doing right that the rest of the population is not doing?
Working.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:36 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,092,097 times
Sometimes it is luck. Sometimes it is nepotism. Sometimes it is actual skill and/or persistence.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:45 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
As far as an answer to the general question of what separates the employed from the unemployed, whatever the percentages may be, I can think of a number of factors...

1) Restless job hopping is asking for unemployment benefits. Those I know who have never been unemployed had the foresight to stick with a good company even though things might have been kind of dull. Good companies will keep you employed when times get lean.

2) Obviously your field matters. My friends in finance have it tough. My friends who work for nonprofit types have it really rough. Engineering is so-so. Healthcare is good.

3) Definitely NOT education.

4) People who are portable. On a recent project I was working a few years ago, over half of the employees got laid off. Yes, over half. Those who were willing to relocate were able to find jobs.

5) Entry to mid-level workers. The 2-5 year crowd is very, very employable. The salary is manageable and you don't have to train from the bottom.

6) Straight path people. Those who have only done one thing their whole life and have few gaps and and little job hopping. Those are the people companies want.

Those are the ones that come to mind...
Location matters too of course.
Appearance, Reputation are a few more.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:28 PM

13,722 posts, read 7,992,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
...sometimes it is actual skill and/or persistence.
When my wife's company closed two years ago and I watched as she collected unemployment for 6-months while not making (what I considered) much of an effort to find new work.

She would fill out a few on-line applications every so often but it wasn't until the benefits were running out that she got cracking.

I guess it's the way you want to look at things. In my eyes she wasn't doing much but she felt because she applied for a job or two each week or so that was enough.

My guess is a lot of people are like that. As long as a check coming in and it covers the basics it's all good.
Problems come when the checks stop.

I explained to my wife she needed to get something because unless she did she'd end up having to take a crappy minimum job. At this life we need the extra money.

For me, it's one thing not to work because of an illness, and something very different if you're not doing much footwork.

Again I suppose it's how you see things. Someone says, "Hey, I sent out a few resumes this week. Not much else I can do."

Whereas I think, "I've got to find a job" and will continuously look to until I do.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:44 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
There is a lot to be said for the statement above. Whenever I hear someone moan about how hard it is to find a job, I ask them who is paying their rent, buying their food, heat, cable, paying for the cell phone, never one time, have I heard the person moaning about finding work, who pays for all that alone. They have veterans benefits, SSDI, Workers Comp, a spouse, parent, whatever...motivation.

I know, if I have no job, I will be homeless. No one pays my rent. No trust fund, no parents to bail me out, that is it. That is motivating. I can complain that I am depressed, tired, whatever, but in the end, I will find a job, no matter what. And, I have had some pretty crap jobs, a lot of people would have never done. I have been a maid, CNA, para educator, worked in call centers, and lots of other jobs most people would never do...just for the money, to make rent, when I could not find anything better.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:59 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
There is a lot to be said for the statement above. Whenever I hear someone moan about how hard it is to find a job, I ask them who is paying their rent, buying their food, heat, cable, paying for the cell phone, never one time, have I heard the person moaning about finding work, who pays for all that alone. They have veterans benefits, SSDI, Workers Comp, a spouse, parent, whatever...motivation.

I know, if I have no job, I will be homeless. No one pays my rent. No trust fund, no parents to bail me out, that is it. That is motivating. I can complain that I am depressed, tired, whatever, but in the end, I will find a job, no matter what. And, I have had some pretty crap jobs, a lot of people would have never done. I have been a maid, CNA, para educator, worked in call centers, and lots of other jobs most people would never do...just for the money, to make rent, when I could not find anything better.
Yes, that is very true.

Unfortunately, having to do that isn't too great for your resume.

I wish employers would realize that sometimes we have to take temporary or part time work or jobs with no mobility to make ends meet. When I have done that, it is work related to my field, so it looks 'hoppy'. It might even be better if I worked at Red Lobster or something totally unrelated so they can tell, "Well, he just needed a job."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment