Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 05:46 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,683 times

Advertisements

I've seen so much ranting about not being able to find a job. There are millions of reasons quoted for not being able to get hired anywhere, and there seems to be a new reason everyday. Sometimes it sounds like everyone deserves to be employed for reasons X or Y. Yet, as of January the unemployment rate was only 6.6%. Among those with higher education, 3.2% are jobless.

Stats taken from: A Wave of College Grads Found US Jobs in January - ABC News

So what separates the 93.4% from the 6.6% and what separates the 96.8% from the 3.2%? What is the majority of the population doing right that the rest of the population is not doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 06:06 PM

11,251 posts, read 11,022,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
I've seen so much ranting about not being able to find a job. There are millions of reasons quoted for not being able to get hired anywhere, and there seems to be a new reason everyday. Sometimes it sounds like everyone deserves to be employed for reasons X or Y. Yet, as of January the unemployment rate was only 6.6%. Among those with higher education, 3.2% are jobless.

So what separates the 93.4% from the 6.6% and what separates the 96.8% from the 3.2%? What is the majority of the population doing right that the rest of the population is not doing?
First off, you need to get rid of the idea that the unemployment rate is only 6.6%. That only takes into account people collecting benefits. Many have fallen past that threshold, or have given up entirely. Don't eat up everything the liberal media feeds you.

You also need to look at the underemployment rate as well. If you have a Masters degree and you're pouring latte's at Starbucks, you fall into that category. But hey, it's a job, right? It shows willingness to work and staves off the oh-so-feared-gap-in-employment history...........

Old 02-10-2014, 06:07 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:

93.4% aren't employed

but what separates the employed from the unemployed?

a job

Old 02-10-2014, 06:13 PM

361 posts, read 922,273 times
I think real questions can be raised about the legitimacy of a social order where that many able adults can't provide for themselves. Quite a few, I know, just have no desire to support themselves at all, but doesn't that just reinforce the fact that something has gone seriously wrong with our world?

Old 02-10-2014, 06:16 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,654,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
93.4% aren't employed

but what separates the employed from the unemployed?

a job
lol. I was going to say that.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:17 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
First off, you need to get rid of the idea that the unemployment rate is only 6.6%. That only takes into account people collecting benefits. Many have fallen past that threshold, or have given up entirely. Don't eat up everything the liberal media feeds you.

Again, this myth... whether you collect unemployment benefits or not has zero impact on the federal unemployment rate. It is NOT a component of the calculation. How the federal unemployment rate is calculated is public information for all to see.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:21 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,683 times
There have been myriad threads debating the legitimacy of the government's published unemployment rates. Let's not beat the dead horse.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:27 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:

I find this almost impossible to believe when companies are getting 50-100 applicants per job.

If the unemployment rate among those with bachelors was 3%, then companies in every industry would be having trouble finding workers, and that is CLEARLY far from the case in just about every industry as we can see from this forum.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:45 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
As far as an answer to the general question of what separates the employed from the unemployed, whatever the percentages may be, I can think of a number of factors...

1) Restless job hopping is asking for unemployment benefits. Those I know who have never been unemployed had the foresight to stick with a good company even though things might have been kind of dull. Good companies will keep you employed when times get lean.

2) Obviously your field matters. My friends in finance have it tough. My friends who work for nonprofit types have it really rough. Engineering is so-so. Healthcare is good.

3) Definitely NOT education.

4) People who are portable. On a recent project I was working a few years ago, over half of the employees got laid off. Yes, over half. Those who were willing to relocate were able to find jobs.

5) Entry to mid-level workers. The 2-5 year crowd is very, very employable. The salary is manageable and you don't have to train from the bottom.

6) Straight path people. Those who have only done one thing their whole life and have few gaps and and little job hopping. Those are the people companies want.

Those are the ones that come to mind...

Old 02-10-2014, 06:51 PM

361 posts, read 922,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Again, this myth... whether you collect unemployment benefits or not has zero impact on the federal unemployment rate. It is NOT a component of the calculation. How the federal unemployment rate is calculated is public information for all to see.
True. At the same time though, as I understand it, you can work 20 hours in an entire month and still be classified as "employed".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment