Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 10:37 PM

58 posts, read 84,810 times

Advertisements

I was let go from a job of only after a week yesterday (March 6) because I wasn't fast enough. I worked my butt off, asking questions like crazy and getting know how the system works at this new work environment. Everybody's system is different so I like to of course double check

I originally came in to replace this Graphic Designer because he supposedly found another job.

I started on the 24th of February and already things were weird. Vibes were bizarre. I wasn't informed in how long my evaluation was supposed to be.

The Production Manager gave me a run down of everything. Mind you I worked at a sign shop before working with large format files. This shop had similar software to send jobs to print, similar printers and plotters.

What pissed me off is the fact that you have two employees (Production Manager and Graphic Designer) who are friends that didn't really want to help me. I wasn't getting any support. They were training me but deep down they didn't want to. I just wasn't feeling it. But I pretty much worked my butt off, catching up little by little, learning the ropes. But boss man (possibly his wife) and those two weren't satisfied. Smh...pure B.S.

I will miss two people who pretty much had my back. But wow...don't know if this a Florida thing or all over where companies can just let you go within a week if they are satisfied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 10:40 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,332,501 times
Bad fit.

Move on.

It sucks, but that's life.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:16 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,345,774 times
they sound like jerks to work for, cut your losses. It will be better next time.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:22 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,140,137 times
I got canned after only a week also, and it wasn't in Florida. O

Old 03-06-2014, 04:00 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
I got canned after only a week also, and it wasn't in Florida. O
Me too. I got a job working in the ophthalmology field. Soon after I started the job I realized how boring the job was. I hated every minute I was there, and I really love my field. The work was incredibly monotonous and unchallenging. But I refuse to quit a job without having another, so I decided to keep working at it and put my resume out to other ophthalmologists. My seat was barely warm before they fired me after only one week on the job. I never felt so happy to be unemployed in all my life

Old 03-06-2014, 06:05 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
I used to have a sign shop and let several people go after a week or even less over the years. In those cases it was either a complete lack of manual dexterity to do weeding of vinyl, or they had lied about their ability to convert bitmaps to vector files and clean them up. In a production environment speed is money, and when you have been hiring people to do it for a few years you can often tell whether someone is going to be able to get up to speed. The prices charged to customers are based on a specific amount of time that it takes to do the work, and if it takes too long there goes the profit. "Not being a good fit" is more subjective, and has to do with how well the employer likes your attitude, work habits and even personality. Without a contract, any employer can let someone go after a week (or even a day) if they are not satisfied.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:07 AM

544 posts, read 1,439,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon_Chic View Post
I was let go from a job of only after a week yesterday (March 6) because I wasn't fast enough. I worked my butt off, asking questions like crazy and getting know how the system works at this new work environment. Everybody's system is different so I like to of course double check

I originally came in to replace this Graphic Designer because he supposedly found another job.

I started on the 24th of February and already things were weird. Vibes were bizarre. I wasn't informed in how long my evaluation was supposed to be.

The Production Manager gave me a run down of everything. Mind you I worked at a sign shop before working with large format files. This shop had similar software to send jobs to print, similar printers and plotters.

What pissed me off is the fact that you have two employees (Production Manager and Graphic Designer) who are friends that didn't really want to help me. I wasn't getting any support. They were training me but deep down they didn't want to. I just wasn't feeling it. But I pretty much worked my butt off, catching up little by little, learning the ropes. But boss man (possibly his wife) and those two weren't satisfied. Smh...pure B.S.

I will miss two people who pretty much had my back. But wow...don't know if this a Florida thing or all over where companies can just let you go within a week if they are satisfied.
Definitely think it's a Florida thing, I've had people not want to train me in Denver, but still got trained. I had the same thing happen here in Ft. Myers in January, I've never had that happen before. A couple of people I've talked to since said the owner of the company is a total shyster and no one should work for him. Problem is he makes everyone sign a no compete contract keeping you from working in the "market" area for 2 years. So you're stuck working there unless you move 100 miles away. Glad I was gone after a week, just let him try to sue me on the no compete!

Old 03-06-2014, 07:25 AM

334 posts, read 585,518 times
I have lived all over and this happens everywhere. And it tends to be bizarre.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:30 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,486,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon_Chic View Post

I am sorry. I guess it is a blessing in disguise.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:06 AM

58 posts, read 84,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I used to have a sign shop and let several people go after a week or even less over the years. In those cases it was either a complete lack of manual dexterity to do weeding of vinyl, or they had lied about their ability to convert bitmaps to vector files and clean them up. In a production environment speed is money, and when you have been hiring people to do it for a few years you can often tell whether someone is going to be able to get up to speed. The prices charged to customers are based on a specific amount of time that it takes to do the work, and if it takes too long there goes the profit. "Not being a good fit" is more subjective, and has to do with how well the employer likes your attitude, work habits and even personality. Without a contract, any employer can let someone go after a week (or even a day) if they are not satisfied.
That I understand. But I needed to get accustomed to the company's system and where to find files and make sure I don't muck up on those file. Also using a different software to send jobs to cut on the plotter. I knew how to send jobs to print via Onyx. Was on a roll with that. But the fact of the matter is why he didn't tell me ahead of time instead letting me work the whole day and telling me at the last minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment