Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2014, 12:53 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,080,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I've been on this forum for years and this has been going on for years, so don't think you are saying anything different that other people haven't already said. The appearance thing is laughable. I have no jewelry or tattoo's of any kind. My hair is dark brown, just like any other guy out there.

I know for a fact it is employers. I've even had conversations with managers and employment counselors who told me they felt sorry for what I've been through all my life, they seem shocked, but of course there's nothing much they can do for me. It's alot more though. It's society, people around me and people I encounter that are the problem. Otherwise I would succeed. I'm coming from the standpoint of trying to make something out of nothing, which isn't really possible. You can't make 3 dimes appear in your hand because you want them to.

It's real. I'm being held back.
You had my sympathy until you started blaming everyone around you for being unemployed. Do you have no responsibility to do something to make yourself more marketable? I guess not because the world really is against you! I was out of work for several years due to illness but I eventually pulled myself together and found a job. So it's possible. This is not advice, it's my own experience. I guess you are doing things to make yourself an attractive candidate, revise your resume, get advice from places like this forum, do plenty of interviews etc.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:54 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,280,898 times
Quote:
I've been on this forum for years and this has been going on for years, so don't think you are saying anything different that other people haven't already said. The appearance thing is laughable. I have no jewelry or tattoo's of any kind. My hair is dark brown, just like any other guy out there.

I know for a fact it is employers. I've even had conversations with managers and employment counselors who told me they felt sorry for what I've been through all my life, they seem shocked, but of course there's nothing much they can do for me. It's alot more though. It's society, people around me and people I encounter that are the problem. Otherwise I would succeed. I'm coming from the standpoint of trying to make something out of nothing, which isn't really possible. You can't make 3 dimes appear in your hand because you want them to.

It's hard in the mind, to know you have to live without employment and where jobs are out of reach. Not because of you, but because of what other people are doing and how other people behave and act. Because of this, you are condemned to a life of misery.

Tell me how you would feel if you were in your 20's or 30's and were prevented from getting a job because of other people. You had everything......but someone or some people stopped you from moving forward. Like an employee throwing your application in the trash, or an employer ignoring your phone calls x1000. Imagine EVERY application you follow up on is met with a furious response from an angry store manager. Every single time.

Every.

Single.

Time.

It's real. I'm being held back.
Yes, prejudices certainly do enter into hiring, even when the interviewer doesn't realize it. I've met few people who understand that we all have prejudices - and those few are the only ones who have a chance of consciously overriding those prejudices when hiring. I remember getting jobs where I simply better fit the interviewer's idea of what a geologist should look like (that's what I was doing back then), and I know of other cases where I didn't get the job because the interviewer got a different impression. It wasn't any reflection on my abilities or value, it was simply something far beyond my ability to influence.

I have to tell you though, you do sound as if there is some vast conspiracy to deny you employment. There is not. You will do yourself no favors by thinking that there is. Life is hard, life is usually unfair, but the world is not out to wreck your life.

I've applied for more jobs than I can remember, and I probably only got interviews for 10% of them and only got half those jobs. Most often the application/resume is ignored. You don't take it personally. And that was mostly in the 1990's and 00's, when the job market was much better. You are going to have a much harder time of it now, and I would too in your shoes, it is no reflection on your abilities or value - there's just not a lot of opportunity right now.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:01 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,413,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
You had my sympathy until you started blaming everyone around you for being unemployed. Do you have no responsibility to do something to make yourself more marketable? I guess not because the world really is against you! I was out of work for several years due to illness but I eventually pulled myself together and found a job. So it's possible. This is not advice, it's my own experience. I guess you are doing things to make yourself an attractive candidate, revise your resume, get advice from places like this forum, do plenty of interviews etc.
If you've never had a job in your life, it is taken personally and rightfully so. I want to further my education. But it's like I said, every option I think I have or people think I have is out of reach. Unless I was to move to a big city with lots of job openings and a low unemployment rate and a sane population who have communication skills, act professional and respect other human beings. Or obtain a car and a way to pay the insurance on it. The resume stuff is moot at this point. There is nothing to put on it, that is why the jobs I apply for have applications. I need companies that actually call people for interviews, actually interview people, act respectful, and actually hire the people they interview. Not just say they will call at a later time.

Employers that won't go psycho when I follow up on an application, something they SUPPOSEDLY want people to do!

I need a job. I need a start. Otherwise it's like an ant trying to climb mount everest.

Last edited by parried; 03-14-2014 at 01:24 PM..

Old 03-14-2014, 01:23 PM

64 posts, read 84,370 times
The bottom line is there are people that believe in human morality and those that do not. And no, that statement has nothing to do with religion. Religion or lack thereof is a separate topic. Belief in morality does not necessitate belief in religion or any type of "divine" faith. For those that do believe in morality, it is a given that every person owes every other person justice. No one is exempt from having that owed to them nor is anyone exempt from owing that to another.

As part of that owed justice, every person is owed and entitled to (yes, let's go ahead and put another popular word in there) an opportunity to work that at least provides a minimal standard of living fit for a modern human. Beyond that is a luxury, and no one is entitled to that since it is a luxury precisely because it is impossible to provide to everyone. No one is owed every specific job they want, but they are owed A job.

Now we could go into endless details about the specifics. For example, obviously someone justly in prison is not owed a job. Someone not willing to perform his duties in his jobs is not owed a job. People also have obligations in terms of seeking a job and becoming qualified to get one. There are countless other possible examples and details people could discuss.

I would say this guy said it pretty well in terms of the traditional American free market:

FDR Fireside Chat. 2nd Bill of Rights - YouTube

Sometimes inconvenience is unavoidable even in a just society. But should people flat-out have to SUFFER in order to be in a LOTTERY for an opportunity to earn a decent living? Absolutely not.

But, as I said, it all comes down to whether a person thinks and/or speaks in terms of morality or amorality. The OP's listed statement is an amoral one from amoral people. However, obviously neither the U.S. nor any of the rest of the world works the way they could and should - any sane moralist would not encourage someone to wait for what is morally/justly owed them.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:27 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,046,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuestioner View Post

Sometimes inconvenience is unavoidable even in a just society. But should people flat-out have to SUFFER in order to be in a LOTTERY for an opportunity to earn a decent living? Absolutely not.
Precisely. What is doubly appalling is that this is not "just the way things are." Those jobs moved overseas, replaced with illegals and visa workers, etc. - all of those could have Americans working at them. But, that would cost some money and cut into those record corporate profits and executive compensation packages... so, instead we're supposed to ignore all that has happened to benefit a select few and instead keep on playing the employment lotto, despite there not being anywhere near enough jobs to go around.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:29 PM

A man that's been homeless for 36 years. Thirty-six years!!! Another person that was held back from a chance at life because of other people.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:

A man that's been homeless for 36 years. Thirty-six years!!! Another person that was held back from a chance at life because of other people.
Who held him back?

Old 03-14-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Precisely. What is doubly appalling is that this is not "just the way things are." Those jobs moved overseas, replaced with illegals and visa workers, etc. - all of those could have Americans working at them. But, that would cost some money and cut into those record corporate profits and executive compensation packages... so, instead we're supposed to ignore all that has happened to benefit a select few and instead keep on playing the employment lotto, despite there not being anywhere near enough jobs to go around.
Almost sounds like you're advocating for cracking down on illegal immigration..... round em up and deport em?

Given what I take to be the gist of your other posts, I doubt this what you think at all (nor what I think), just pointing out how inconsistent it sounds to a casual observer.

You're not going to find any simple answers when politicians are involved.... doesn't mater which side the politico is on.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:54 PM

Parents.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Parents.
How could they hold him back when he says they completely abandoned him at age 2? I took it that they were basically out of his life at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment