Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2014, 12:05 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,950,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
If your story is true, than you have a profound appearance problem of some kind. There is something about you that is turning people off, because it is not that hard to find a job. If you look crazy, like studded jewelry sticking out of your face, or blue hair, or some other ridiculous style statement that screams "don't take me seriously", or you are obese, or what not, then you are having extreme first impression issues. This sounds mean? Perhaps yes, it does. But you have to look like a normal well-adjusted human being to get a job. Even if you are not (and really most of us are not).

The bike thing could also be an issue. If you don't have a car, you need to be living in an urban area, it's that simple. If you are in the suburbs and you don't have a car, you are going to look like a failure.

The problem is not the world, or the "employers". Employers are just people who need something done. You are not looking like a solution to their problem. It is you who has to fix that. How do you present? Do you look and smell good and put off a happy vibe? Or do you look marginal and put off a desperate vibe?
If they don't pick you because of obese isn't that discrimination? There are healthy "obese" people in this world that can do jobs and aren't sucking wind every 40 seconds like you may see on biggest loser. I'm one of these. I work out, eat right (make sure to eat fruits veggies and don't drink soda or beer (as much and try to watch carb intake)) but I still have a bigger, heavier frame and am somewhat fat. Unless it the job is being an athlete or a model, does weight actually have a place in the job selection process?

Old 03-14-2014, 12:15 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,413,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
If your story is true, than you have a profound appearance problem of some kind. There is something about you that is turning people off, because it is not that hard to find a job. If you look crazy, like studded jewelry sticking out of your face, or blue hair, or some other ridiculous style statement that screams "don't take me seriously", or you are obese, or what not, then you are having extreme first impression issues. This sounds mean? Perhaps yes, it does. But you have to look like a normal well-adjusted human being to get a job. Even if you are not (and really most of us are not).

The bike thing could also be an issue. If you don't have a car, you need to be living in an urban area, it's that simple. If you are in the suburbs and you don't have a car, you are going to look like a failure.

The problem is not the world, or the "employers". Employers are just people who need something done. You are not looking like a solution to their problem. It is you who has to fix that. How do you present? Do you look and smell good and put off a happy vibe? Or do you look marginal and put off a desperate vibe?
I've been on this forum for years and this has been going on for years, so don't think you are saying anything different that other people haven't already said. The appearance thing is laughable. I have no jewelry or tattoo's of any kind. My hair is dark brown, just like any other guy out there.

I know for a fact it is employers. I've even had conversations with managers and employment counselors who told me they felt sorry for what I've been through all my life, they seem shocked, but of course there's nothing much they can do for me. It's alot more though. It's society, people around me and people I encounter that are the problem. Otherwise I would succeed. I'm coming from the standpoint of trying to make something out of nothing, which isn't really possible. You can't make 3 dimes appear in your hand because you want them to.

It's hard in the mind, to know you have to live without employment and where jobs are out of reach. Not because of you, but because of what other people are doing and how other people behave and act. Because of this, you are condemned to a life of misery.

Tell me how you would feel if you were in your 20's or 30's and were prevented from getting a job because of other people. You had everything......but someone or some people stopped you from moving forward. Like an employee throwing your application in the trash, or an employer ignoring your phone calls x1000. Imagine EVERY application you follow up on is met with a furious response from an angry store manager. Every single time.

Every.

Single.

Time.

It's real. I'm being held back.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:24 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,313,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
If they don't pick you because of obese isn't that discrimination? There are healthy "obese" people in this world that can do jobs and aren't sucking wind every 40 seconds like you may see on biggest loser. I'm one of these. I work out, eat right (make sure to eat fruits veggies and don't drink soda or beer (as much and try to watch carb intake)) but I still have a bigger, heavier frame and am somewhat fat. Unless it the job is being an athlete or a model, does weight actually have a place in the job selection process?
I would also add that in many office/white collar type jobs, being overweight or having any other type of health issue usually has no bearing on job performance.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:28 PM

50 posts, read 76,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I've been on this forum for years and this has been going on for years, so don't think you are saying anything different that other people haven't already said. The appearance thing is laughable. I have no jewelry or tattoo's of any kind. My hair is dark brown, just like any other guy out there.

I know for a fact it is employers. I've even had conversations with managers and employment counselors who told me they felt sorry for what I've been through all my life, they seem shocked, but of course there's nothing much they can do for me. It's alot more though. It's society, people around me and people I encounter that are the problem. Otherwise I would succeed. I'm coming from the standpoint of trying to make something out of nothing, which isn't really possible. You can't make 3 dimes appear in your hand because you want them to.

It's hard in the mind, to know you have to live without employment and where jobs are out of reach. Not because of you, but because of what other people are doing and how other people behave and act. Because of this, you are condemned to a life of misery.

Tell me how you would feel if you were in your 20's or 30's and were prevented from getting a job because of other people. You had everything......but someone or some people stopped you from moving forward. Like an employee throwing your application in the trash, or an employer ignoring your phone calls x1000. Imagine EVERY application you follow up on is met with a furious response from an angry store manager. Every single time.

Every.

Single.

Time.

It's real. I'm being held back.
Do you EVER stop whining?? Good God and I thought I had a lot to complain about...

It's no wonder you're not employed.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:32 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,413,006 times
This society and the people in it can dish it out but they can't take it when the person they are hurting says something.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It case of limited resources that we see in the environment all the time. Some people just don't have those resources close enough to us. Say Toastmasters or any sort of job skills group. If you don't have the money to drive in a car, know people who are going, have a bus line that goes there or has a friend who can take you there, you aren't going.

In a way. We all need work to get money to provide ourselves with basic needs of shelter and food (water is a different story.) If we don't have money, one has to be trained in wilderness survival and studied Caveman in college because that is all they will be able to do to SOMEWHAT live without money.

The number was compiled differently then. It's not an exact apples to apples comparison, more like a Granny Smith to Golden Delicious. Both apples but different in taste, texture and skin color.

That wasn't the point. The point was that for the most part, most people who say "no one owes you a job" cross-sections with those who believe if not just spout out the just-world fallacy of you deserve to be unemployed for karma reasons. Are there good people who did nothing wrong out of work, of course and they just want a opportunity for a job. That is where I stand. Give me an opportunity to work and I'll show you I can do that.

10% to 7% was over three and a half years. The unemployment rate could have slipped through any of these possible outcomes.:
  1. Death of unemployed workers.
  2. Unemployed workers becoming a stay-at-home mom or dad.
  3. Unemployed workers becoming discouraged workers dropping out of the labor force.
  4. Unemployed workers not looking for work because they re-entered college.
  5. Unemployed workers going into business for themselves.
  6. Unemployed workers becoming full-time employed workers.
  7. Unemployed workers becoming part-time employed workers.
  8. Unemployed workers becoming part-time employed workers but wanting to be full time.
  9. The Unemployment Rate used more of a random sample with jobs (full-time or part-time) than those without jobs searching.
Any number of these could be why we had a 30% reduction in over three and a half years. Now yes, the final one is an EXTREME case but a possible one.

Charities and not for profit companies are started up to not make money (in the traditional business sense)...

So what if there is no way to support yourself, then what do you do? And please don't tell me Dr. Death is an option...

Again, this goes back to resources. I can learn engineering through free online methods. Unless I have a job that I used them in, it likely won't lead to a job.

Agreed, can't rep this more but you are right on the money.

It is but you need people working and companies moving to sell your products and services to. No customer base, you're dead. You can only cut costs for so long. Eventually these cost cutting eat into sales and slowly bring you closer to break-even revenue. If you go past that point, you won't be in business for much longer.

Not in it of itself but many have historically done that and have been slapped around by the government at different times.

Momma's wrong again. Businesses that sell to consumers need people employed to buy their product or service. With other businesses (perhaps even themselves) cutting jobs, stagnating if not slashing pay (whether it is less hours for wage employees or lower yearly pay for salary.) By companies cutting jobs and stagnating pay across the board the consumer base is smaller and smaller. Eventually we may see a day of few companies because they lost their consumer base and the revenue streams that come with it. Fewer companies means fewer jobs. Anyone else see the math problem here?

Many people have pointed to the wink-wink, nudge-nudge owed jobs through the "good ol' boy network" so I guess some are owed because they exist (if only for a mere means)...

But the problem is not enough are successful today. If they are not having record sales, their record profits are coming from cost cutting. Nowhere has cost cutting lead to growth. Many businesses are just in quarter-to-quarter survival and not decade-to-decade survival like they were even decades ago,
I remember reading somewhere that once a company slashes a certain percentage of their jobs/workforce, the odds of them surviving are not good.

For example, some made up numbers, a company that is well run can generally cut say 5% of it's work force during a recession, and then ramp back up. If a company was run poorly, it would probably 20% - and it would be hard to recover from that and be as successful as they were before the recession. In other words, they would just be a shell of their former selves.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:44 PM

460 posts, read 983,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
I would also add that in many office/white collar type jobs, being overweight or having any other type of health issue usually has no bearing on job performance.
Disagree. Men who are taller, better looking, and more fit tend to make it to the C-suite in Fortune 500 companies. Guess how my finance leader looks.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:47 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,950,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusHsu View Post
Disagree. Men who are taller, better looking, and more fit tend to make it to the C-suite in Fortune 500 companies. Guess how my finance leader looks.
BigDavey was talking about JOB PERFORMANCE. IE: there is no real value in getting a better looking more fit applicant compared to an obese one (except the whole healthcare debate...).

Old 03-14-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusHsu View Post
Fine then, you maybe have a small minority of people where better looking people tend to get hired. But they do not matter much for the rank and file

Old 03-14-2014, 12:51 PM

460 posts, read 983,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
Fine then, you maybe have a small minority of people where better looking people tend to get hired. But they do not matter much for the rank and file
It matters for the rank and file too. Looks matter, especially clean cut and well dressed.

I am not talking about performance. I am talking about promotions and making management. You do realize performance and competence is only part of the package?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment