Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 05:19 AM

360 posts, read 812,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Well I did... Twice. I made $60k in 2012 and am on pace for $85k this year... Both jobs originated with me as an Aerotek temp. I can even post a pay stub if there are any doubts.

Is that how it is in Indiana? I was there in February for a week and my first question was "Where do people work in this state?"

Sometimes you gotta take risks in life. I moved cross country for a job with Aerotek that resulted in a permanent job with ThyssenKrupp Aerospace 5 months later...

I guess I got lucky?

Some places only hire through a temp agency as is the case with both jobs I started with Aerotek.

Why would I work for a temp agency? If you had a chance at a job that started at $22 an hour then went to $28 after 90 days would you do it?

I could give a damn about the benefits... I'm 39 not 79. I'm trying to get in with a big company and if I have to go through Aerotek to do it so be it. I never said working with a temp agency was my career plan... But if I have to use them to get my foot in the door I will.

I'm not working $10 hr McJobs... I'm doing jobs that are $20 and up and haven't had a problem getting it. Maybe I start out at less but that's a price I'm willing to pay for opportunity.

A 3 month and 5 month stint with a temp agency are just small portions of my time spent in the workforce and have led to good paying jobs. It doesn't happen for everyone but at the same time your bad experience doesn't mean everyone has one.

Best of luck to all in the job hunt!
Please do present a pay stub as I haven't heard of anyone EVER making $60k working a temp, and not a contract position, with Aerotek. They have a poor rep within the industry and they get very few high quality candidates as a a result. You seem to be their only " satisfied" customer.

Anyway, you shouldn't concern yourself with if a company uses a temp service to hire as most companies
who do so don't pay well in the first place.if you are looking for long-term work your best bets are still trying network through people who you know or by approaching the company yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 05:44 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,306,864 times
When I relocated from VA to NYC after getting married I signed up with two temp agencies and began working right away. My third temp employer ended up hiring me full-time.

Nine years later when I relocated from NY/NJ to Charlotte, NC without a job I immediately met with a couple recruiters in the area with a goal of temping until I could find full-time work. Fortunately, I ended up landing an interview with a company the same week I arrived, and was offered a job there. Started in the new job exactly a week after we moved here. However, the recruiters were confident they'd have a lot of work and would definitely find full-time work through them.

I think temping is a great way to go to get your foot in the door of some companies that might not consider you based on just your resume - and it helps you learn the market. Another bonus: you get the opportunity to cherry pick who you want to work for long-term. I was a temp for 2+ years in Virginia and LOVED the flexibility it afforded me as well the exposure to various companies in the area until I found the one I DID want to work for on a permanent basis.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:25 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,607,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
If I was unemployed maybe but I'd sure as heck be putting full effort into job searching for a real job even if I did and not believe the 90 day hire carrot that I have a 27% chance of ever seeing a bite of and I don't take counter offers. That is the cost of playing the temp game (no commitment by either side).
I did end up with a real job.

Not sure what part of that you don't understand. I'd be willing to bet I make more than a lot of people that were hired on directly by a company too.

$1778 last week... Not bad for a "non-real" job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwaynebandit View Post
Please do present a pay stub as I haven't heard of anyone EVER making $60k working a temp, and not a contract position, with Aerotek.
You are in Indiana so I believe you... LOL

Weren't you the person that said $20 an hr isn't possible there?

Well it is here... And is pretty much the norm. Factor in the OT and you can make $60-90k off a $25 hr job with a temp agency. I've done it.

Let's clear up one thing right now though... I am not saying all temp agencies are golden... Hell I just posted a Craigslist ad the other day for a $13 hr QA job... LOL

What I am saying is there are a few that are better than the rest... At least in Seattle. One would be Aerotek... Another Madden IC.

Last edited by Kees; 04-10-2014 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: ... Added quote

Old 04-10-2014, 06:35 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,448,982 times
Same here it is very rare for a temp agency to offer more than $20 an hour here unless it is for an extreme IT niche or something similar.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:41 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,607,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I think temping is a great way to go to get your foot in the door of some companies that might not consider you based on just your resume - and it helps you learn the market.
I agree. That's my point exactly. I've gotten my foot in the door with some good employers via Aerotek.

Quote:
Same here it is very rare for a temp agency to offer more than $20 an hour here unless it is for an extreme IT niche or something similar.
I guess it's all about COL.

My rent is $1500... Lights and water another $250.

Try to swing that on a $15 hr craptastic temp job. Not happening...

Old 04-10-2014, 06:57 AM

Cost of living isn't cheap here either. The temp agencies and their clients are just bottom tier dirt bags preying on the desperate here. Their pay rates are min wage for noncollege grads and ~$15 for college educated professionals with no or joke benefits.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:24 AM

358 posts, read 512,933 times
I've done that a couple times. When I went to Seattle cold turkey in '97 I started with Western. I had a job the same day. I stuck with them about a month until I came across a better job at another agency that I can't remember the name of, but they specialized in hospital jobs.

I also hooked up with Manpower back in the Midwest when I moved home. It's a great way to get your feet on the ground until you can land a better job.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:10 PM

162 posts, read 228,990 times
Quote:
Cost of living isn't cheap here either. The temp agencies and their clients are just bottom tier dirt bags preying on the desperate here. Their pay rates are min wage for noncollege grads and ~$15 for college educated professionals with no or joke benefits.
In my hometown in NY, the cost of living was not cheap either. I was disgusted that these temp agencies, expect a college educated professional to slave $10/hr with no or joke benefits and zero future in the company or growth potential. Where do they expect us to live, in the crappiest and most dangerous neighborhood with welfare kings and queens? It was a huge slap in the face. I advise, if anyone were to take a temp job, heed the title "Temp" and actively search while you are at it. I have had my share of temp jobs, never was hired permanent. 99.9% of the contract workers at my jobs were slowly getting laid-off within 2 months (they promise a 6 month to a two year contract. That usually equals two months! Then, they hire a new slew of suckers to do the work).

Old 04-11-2014, 12:37 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,180,170 times
Quote:
A lot of the companies arround here have temps they keep for years stringing them along so they can play accounting games and not pay benefits.

Temp-to-hire sounds good in theory try before you buy the trouble is companies have abused it to the point (supported by the 27% stat) that the minute a temp agency becomes involved you are everyone's last choice for employment. Noone currently employed will consider you, anyone decent will hesitate or take the job and leave promptly when they find something better. As a result, a temp agency is not a place to go for decent employment and as an employer it is not the place to go for the best talent.

Why would I want to convert from temp to perm? I earn $140K/yr as a temp. If I were to ask for a FT job , which I can do any time, I would take a pay cut to around $100K. I can by my own benefits and the OT rate is better than the FT slobs who get nothing but a pat on the head by their supervisor. I have been a "temp" at my current position for four years.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:44 PM

Let me guess IT/software. That is the main exception. In most other fields temps not only get no benefits they earn less than a FTE, in fact sometimes a great deal less as little as half. I went from 40k and no benefits to 70k and full benefits when I told my last permatemp company to take this job and shove it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment