Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 06:33 PM

29,871 posts, read 25,005,650 times

Advertisements

Just wondering... I'm interested in moving to a new location. Instead of driving or flying to interviews constantly, would it make more sense to use a temp agency? I've never used temp services before. In fact, I have always held a very negative opinion of them. Even still, I wouldn't mind meeting with a recruiter once, then working a temp to hire position for a period of 3 months or so. In the end, I'm relocated and able to find another job with general ease. Also, some services place you in a full time position, and simply collect a commission for the service.

Any thoughts? There are plenty of jobs in this location, and the pay vs COL is actually pretty attractive. It would be a PITA to have to fly down for interviews, especially while working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 07:50 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,611,060 times
The job offer I got that had me moving from GA to WA in 2011 was with a temp agency... Aerotek. I got hired on by the client after 5 months.

I worked with Aerotek one time before and was hired on by the client after 3 months that time. I've got nothing bad to say about Aerotek... professional, pay was always on time, and hooked me up with a couple nice jobs that opened the door for nicer jobs down the road. The biggest thing is they got me out here in WA state where I have more than doubled my income.... and COL isn't THAT much higher out here.

What locations are on your list?

Old 04-08-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
The job offer I got that had me moving from GA to WA in 2011 was with a temp agency... Aerotek. I got hired on by the client after 5 months.

I worked with Aerotek one time before and was hired on by the client after 3 months that time. I've got nothing bad to say about Aerotek... professional, pay was always on time, and hooked me up with a couple nice jobs that opened the door for nicer jobs down the road. The biggest thing is they got me out here in WA state where I have more than doubled my income.... and COL isn't THAT much higher out here.

What locations are on your list?
I'm leery of Aerotek. In Michigan, my neighbor worked for them. The one thing I remember him saying... "I'm making what I made in highschool working for these crooks!" I understand the business model, and that they need to make money. Still, it was way below what he should have been making, although it was around 2009. Many people were making crap. Heck, I think I was working 2 jobs while going to school.

I did get a callback from some Aerotek recruiter, but the position wasn't what I wanted. They always say "and we have some other opportunities you may be interested in...." Usually not worth the time spent listening.

Was looking at Tulsa lately. Seems 1/2 the jobs are through temp services, but the wages posted aren't bad. Cheap COL and good paycheck beats high COL and good paycheck

Old 04-08-2014, 09:49 PM

Michigan isn't Seattle...

The job I moved here for was $20 an hour... the other job I spoke of with Aerotek was $22. We all know that temp agencies are generally pretty cheap... but that isn't always the case.

I would not have moved 3000 miles for a $12 an hour job. Aerotek has been great for me... the only temp agency I've ever worked for and like I said, they got me in the door out here.

Let me know how Tulsa works out...

Old 04-08-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Michigan isn't Seattle...

The job I moved here for was $20 an hour... the other job I spoke of with Aerotek was $22. We all know that temp agencies are generally pretty cheap... but that isn't always the case.

I would not have moved 3000 miles for a $12 an hour job. Aerotek has been great for me... the only temp agency I've ever worked for and like I said, they got me in the door out here.

Let me know how Tulsa works out...
Did you have to do a face to face interview with a recruiter?

The recruiter in Tulsa wants me to fly down for an interview. She said they have to do a screening, background check, etc. Other services simply call when they have a job I might be a fit for.

I have made contacts in other states though. I'm not entirely sure where I'd like to go, but Tulsa looks good because of the volume of jobs and consistent high pay. Nothing worse than losing your high paying job in a low wage area. LOL I saw a $25/hr job in Montgomery Alabama that looked cool. Good luck replacing that with something comparable when they lay you off!

Old 04-09-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Did you have to do a face to face interview with a recruiter?

The recruiter in Tulsa wants me to fly down for an interview. She said they have to do a screening, background check, etc. Other services simply call when they have a job I might be a fit for.

I have made contacts in other states though. I'm not entirely sure where I'd like to go, but Tulsa looks good because of the volume of jobs and consistent high pay. Nothing worse than losing your high paying job in a low wage area. LOL I saw a $25/hr job in Montgomery Alabama that looked cool. Good luck replacing that with something comparable when they lay you off!
That's funny because in both cases that I worked with Aerotek I have yet to do a face to face at my local office.

I originally emailed my resume to WA and was contacted by a recruiter from the Tacoma office. I took a drug screen and met a recruiter at the GA office.... They sent paperwork/background and drug test info to WA.

The client called me... Did a phone interview then a Skype interview and got the offer.

The other job I had responded to an ad and was contacted for an interview the same day I was flying to the east coast for a week. I interviewed... Went on my trip and did the paperwork at an east coast office and had it sent to WA... Then came back and started the job.

So basically I've worked twice out of the Tacoma office without ever having set foot in the Tacoma office. If the Aerotek rep tells you that you can't do interviews/paperwork-background checks/drug tests locally and have the stuff sent to Tulsa let them know that I have done exactly that...

What's good about changing jobs in a high wage area is you can get better pay... I started with the big corporate job... 2 small business jobs which resulted in layoff... And now back to a big corporate job. In each case the new job resulted in an increase... ($5, $1, $1)

They say the best way to get a raise is get a new job... LOL

Old 04-09-2014, 10:11 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,470,869 times
A temp job is basically a way to stay afloat while you look for a real job. Even temp-to-perm only leads to a perm job 27% of the time and companies filled with temps are often the lowest form of scum to work for.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
A temp job is basically a way to stay afloat while you look for a real job. Even temp-to-perm only leads to a perm job 27% of the time and companies filled with temps are often the lowest form of scum to work for.
... Or they don't want to be bothered with hiring employees off the bat that turn out to be horrible workers.

We've got some temps here... And one was let go the other day after 2 months due to horrible welding that didn't improve over time... Despite the fact he passed a weld test.

Both temp jobs I took were "temp to hire" and both resulted in permanent jobs with a Boeing supplier... I don't bother with the "60 day assignment" jobs. Anyway.... It's been a good experience for me.

YMMV.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:49 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,470,869 times
A lot of the companies arround here have temps they keep for years stringing them along so they can play accounting games and not pay benefits.

Temp-to-hire sounds good in theory try before you buy the trouble is companies have abused it to the point (supported by the 27% stat) that the minute a temp agency becomes involved you are everyone's last choice for employment. Noone currently employed will consider you, anyone decent will hesitate or take the job and leave promptly when they find something better. As a result, a temp agency is not a place to go for decent employment and as an employer it is not the place to go for the best talent.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
As a result, a temp agency is not a place to go for decent employment and as an employer it is not the place to go for the best talent.
I guess I'm not the best talent then.

Honestly though as long as this job continues to pay me $1800 a week I'll continue to call it a pretty good job despite the fact I found it via a temp agency.

I don't care who signs my check... and if people like yourself want to continue to believe that temp agencies aren't a source of what could be a very good job that's fine too...it just opens the door for people like me to find good jobs.

No worries on my end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment