Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2014, 04:05 PM

30,420 posts, read 52,052,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
NOWHERE. I don't get where they are getting this from either. I even RE-READ the article a SECOND time to see if something else was there that I didn't catch, but um....NO. Not even an INFERENCE that she was on the dole or not with the father of her children.
Yup... I read it THREE times, to see if I was missing something! People just love to make ASSumptions, don't they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 04:15 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,852,695 times
Wow. There's some brutal stuff in this thread. Can any of you who are barking about her 4 kids point to anything in the article that indicates that she's on welfare or collecting food stamps or that her children all have different fathers? I can't seem to find any of that in the article.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:25 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,155,398 times
All I know is taking care of 4 kids, working full time at any job, and applying herself to the task of trying to better conditions for herself and her co-workers must be totally exhausting. I dont know where she would find the time for schooling too, lol.

Im wondering what is wrong with trying to get a liveable wage for the work you do? All work is noble.

Rich people hate paying taxes, dont they? Maybe their tax burden could be lowered a bit IF this poor woman and her family could get the basics of daily life from her job.

I think she has a lot to be proud of, including her proactive stance toward the conditions of food service workers at large.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:28 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,852,695 times
She's apparently a single mom who lives with her mother and shares expenses with her.

Fast food workers to escalate wage, union demands | Fox News

Quote:
Delisline said she and her four girls live with her mother, but the family still has difficulty paying utilities and the mortgage while providing for her children. She said she has not been to a doctor in two years and does not get paid if she stays home sick.
If she hasn't been in a doctor in two years because she can't afford it, she's not on welfare.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:38 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,351,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
This concerns me. It's hard enough as it is, and having been laid off before, what do you do when you keep working and then get laid off at 45, or 50, or 60? And nobody wants you? Then what?

You can avoid certain things by getting degrees or being a top performer or whatever people throw out there, but you can't avoid getting old (other than dying). If you're 55 and are the one without a chair in employment musical chairs...
You live on your savings and take freelance work or cobble together part-time jobs beneath your intelligence until you're 62. And then you file for your Social Security in desperation, knowing it will mean you have less for the rest of your life. But by then you've already sold your nice house and are used to driving the car you bought ten years ago. And you thank God you aren't in the group of people who will inevitably be told they have to be 70 before they can collect.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:44 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,351,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Wow. There's some brutal stuff in this thread. Can any of you who are barking about her 4 kids point to anything in the article that indicates that she's on welfare or collecting food stamps or that her children all have different fathers? I can't seem to find any of that in the article.
I can't either. There seem to be an awful lot of judgmental people here who who are replying to a story they've made up rather than the one in front of them. All to justify their outrage, which in most cases is highly exaggerated.

I also wish people would educate themselves about cell phones before they jump on every person they see talking on one. Most young people today don't even HAVE landlines. And the cell phone they are talking on might well be one of many of a group plan that costs the individual user far less than a landline does.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:11 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,047,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I can't either. There seem to be an awful lot of judgmental people here who who are replying to a story they've made up rather than the one in front of them. All to justify their outrage, which in most cases is highly exaggerated.

I also wish people would educate themselves about cell phones before they jump on every person they see talking on one. Most young people today don't even HAVE landlines. And the cell phone they are talking on might well be one of many of a group plan that costs the individual user far less than a landline does.

They ALWAYS bring up low income people having cellphones, especially iphones as though they have no family or friends that can gift one to them.

The people in this forum even cry when they see them with a REGULAR flip phone. They really, really, really and I mean absolutely HATE seeing low income people on cell phones of ANY type.

I don't get it. Why? You're working, living a decent life, but yet you are cringing with hate and envy seeing poor people:

- eating at McDonalds

- working at McDonalds

- talking on a cellphone and give them DEATH RAYS when you see it's a smartphone

- wearing clean clothes

- smiling or laughing with their friends and family

- not looking sad or upset, because they're low income.

They'll deny it, but 90% of the posts in here are in regards to her children, supposed welfare that she's getting, if her children all come from one man or several, if she's getting free birth control or not, etc.

They're upset with this woman for DARING to WANT to make more than $7 an hour flipping burgers. If they could fill out a petition to have her strung up and lashed like they do in the middle east, they would have created it within seconds of reading this article.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:24 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,650,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Honestly you choose your job and worth. She doesn't have to work at McDonalds. I worked at McDonalds for 1 single day and decided I didn't belong there. I said to myself I can do better and will find better. ANYTHING was better than that. I wrote down what wanted in a job. Spoke into existence I had it. And that's exactly what happened in a little over a month. I found a great paying job that payed double what I was getting at McDonald's. You choose what you deserve.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:28 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,764,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I wrote down what wanted in a job. Spoke into existence I had it. And that's exactly what happened in a little over a month.
So you mean if I write down what I want in my bank account, it would be spoken into existence?

Where's my pen with paper!?

Last edited by 313Weather; 08-01-2014 at 05:38 PM..

Old 08-01-2014, 05:37 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,047,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
So you mean if I write down that I want in my bank account, it would be spoken into existence?

Where's my pen with paper!?
Lmfao!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment