Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2014, 12:08 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,690,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? being 27 years old and having 4 kids IN wedlock, when you're working a minimum wage job would be okay?

Absolutely not. Not making a moral judgment but pointing out basic economics.

I read an article on a young married couple who were both CNAs, they also happened to have 4 kids.

Their combined income before taxes was 42K a year, and they were whining about how hard it was and how they worked opposite shifts to save on babysitters.

Well, who told you to have 4 kids? Trying to support 6 people on 42K a year(before taxes) is going to hard even parts of the country that have a lower COL.

Again why put yourself further behind the 8 ball?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 12:18 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,764,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Absolutely not. Not making a moral judgment but pointing out basic economics.

I read an article on a young married couple who were both CNAs, they also happened to have 4 kids.

Their combined income before taxes was 42K a year, and they were whining about how hard it was and how they worked opposite shifts to save on babysitters.

Well, who told you to have 4 kids? Trying to support 6 people on 42K a year(before taxes) is going to hard even parts of the country that have a lower COL.

Again why put yourself further behind the 8 ball?
To quote a famous musician:

Quote:
“Who are you to judge the life I live?
I know I'm not perfect
-and I don't live to be-
but before you start pointing fingers...
make sure you hands are clean!”

― Bob Marley

Old 08-02-2014, 12:26 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,206,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
To quote a famous musician:
Perhaps you should have referred to that famous musician when you pointed the finger at the employer when a father murdered his child by leaving him in a hot car while at work:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...l#post31506622

Old 08-02-2014, 02:05 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,006,803 times
Quote:
There was one regular poster on this forum from Denver who is originally from Michigan (they left because they couldn't find a ob in the first place) and decided to return back to be a part of Detroit so-called "comeback" that's been happening for the pat 40-50 years (anyone who watches the news or has lived/visited Detroit recently see how well that's been coming along 1.2 million people later).

Needless to say, they ended up moving back to Denver because of how hard it was to not only form a network with people (Metro Detroit is such an insular region with very little net migration and virtually no population growth that it's much harder to break into new social groups than in your typical major city), but because after 6-12 months they couldn't find a job in their profession.

They ended up moving back to Denver and found a new job immediately.
I'm sure there are stories like that, however there are also stories of people who moved to Charlotte expecting an easy integration into professional networks and a job on a platter, sat around unemployed for a year, and headed back home. If you scan many city forums on C-D, particularly those that are "boom" locations, you'll see posts advising prospects not to move down without a job in hand as life is tough. Does that mean there are "no jobs" in Charlotte? No.

I'm not going to say that some guy in Detroit didn't get a job more easily in Denver or Phoenix or Indianapolis. My point is the kneejerk reaction that "There are no jobs in Detroit (or wherever)" is just conjecture for people in non-regional types of positions. (I wouldn't expect to break into acting in Detroit, for instance). In a large metro, even with a higher percentage of unemployment, most accountants can find a job if they really want to. Most salespeople can find a job if they really want to. Maybe it takes a couple of months longer. Who knows. But it's not that there are "no jobs."

Old 08-02-2014, 02:15 PM

17,403 posts, read 12,009,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? I should have decided that I could afford law school???
Why was law school the only choice? Don't you have a college degree? For millions of successful people, that is enough.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:04 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,764,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
I'm sure there are stories like that, however there are also stories of people who moved to Charlotte expecting an easy integration into professional networks and a job on a platter, sat around unemployed for a year, and headed back home. If you scan many city forums on C-D, particularly those that are "boom" locations, you'll see posts advising prospects not to move down without a job in hand as life is tough. Does that mean there are "no jobs" in Charlotte? No.

I'm not going to say that some guy in Detroit didn't get a job more easily in Denver or Phoenix or Indianapolis. My point is the kneejerk reaction that "There are no jobs in Detroit (or wherever)" is just conjecture for people in non-regional types of positions. (I wouldn't expect to break into acting in Detroit, for instance). In a large metro, even with a higher percentage of unemployment, most accountants can find a job if they really want to. Most salespeople can find a job if they really want to. Maybe it takes a couple of months longer. Who knows. But it's not that there are "no jobs."
I think you're just taking the statement out of context.

When someone says there are "no jobs," they don't literally mean there are absolutely NO job openings.

They're referring to the fact that there are so many people competing for so RELATIVELY FEW job openings. That is still the case in Michigan in the wake of the Auto Industry's collapse, as the UE rate is still well above the national average.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:10 PM

17,154 posts, read 13,005,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
I went to a Panera the other night and tried their new kiosk for ordering, which bypasses the cashier. You place your order on an iPad and they bring it out to you, drinks are self serve. You also have the option of ordering from your phone using their app.

It's only a matter of time until McD's implements something like this, and then that minimum wage (whatever it is) will start looking good to those unskilled workers who are out of a job. If a relatively progressive company like Panera is doing it, it's got to be just the tip of the iceberg.
Any restaurant that tries to get me to use a machine to do everything myself will make me a FORMER customer of theirs. I happen to like humanity for the most part; all this automation is distasteful, IMO. Self checkouts are most obnoxious things ever invented. Strike that; they're only second to automated telephone systems with endless menus that don't understand a dang thing I say/type Jason's Deli has one of those kiosks for their salad and soup lines. I just go up to a human and order from him or her instead.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:16 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,527,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Why was law school the only choice? Don't you have a college degree? For millions of successful people, that is enough.

Is it enough when the degree is in a useless liberal arts field and it is at the bottom of the Carter recession in the Rust Belt?

Aren't you aware that a college degree becomes pretty much worthless five years out of school in the absence of career-related experience?

Old 08-02-2014, 04:47 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,965,701 times
When filing out a application for a job there will be a space for what education level you have obtained be it HS, Some college (AA degree) or advanced degree like a BA or PH.d etc.

I have NOT filled out one since 1958 as I was self employed from 1960 -1996 then retired. (they may have changed since)

A few yrs back talked to my Grandson about finishing his last 5 credits for his AA degree and he never went back to my knowledge. How NICE it would be to fill in that spot of having his AA instead of just the HS.

That slight difference would show some positive application to a potential employer.

Also gave a comparison of 10 people applying for a position.

7 would have a HS or less.
2 would have a AA degree.
1 person had a BA degree.

Now the position would vary that's for sure depending on the nature of the job..

To some here that bemoan being out of work of the three that I showed above where would you qualify?

Old 08-02-2014, 05:51 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,006,803 times
Quote:
I think you're just taking the statement out of context.

When someone says there are "no jobs," they don't literally mean there are absolutely NO job openings.

They're referring to the fact that there are so many people competing for so RELATIVELY FEW job openings. That is still the case in Michigan in the wake of the Auto Industry's collapse, as the UE rate is still well above the national average.
I agree, I don't think it is a literal statement. But I think the ease (or lack thereof) of getting a new job is over exaggerated for those playing into stereotypes about regions. Like I was saying, if you work in a field that is not highly specialized or regional it's likely most people can find something in a reasonable timeframe. Opinions on ease of attaining a job seem to be amplified both in the positive and negative depending on the reputation of the city or region. Even for Detroit, which has a higher than average unemployment rate, it's not even across fields. A good many of the jobs lost were in manufacturing, specifically labor jobs. If you're not in the market for those kinds of positions, it's kind of irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment