Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2014, 06:47 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,338,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Yeah, I don't get the argument for living wage. It will vary. If the critics think a living wage for a single person is $10/hr, e.g $20k per year. Should this worker be paid 6 figures for a family of 5 (herself plus 4), 5 x $20k = 100k?

What franchise owner can afford to pay a cashier $100k/yr in a low margin business like food? Does she get $140k, if she has 2 more kids and takes maternity leave on top of it?
I think common sense is in order. A franchise owner can afford to pay his employee 15 dollars per hour with health insurance and some holidays. I own fast food franchises. McDonalds is one of the most lucrative franchises to own. Even with higher wages and health insurance, you would still make a significant profit.

What people fail to realize is that who is going to buy your products if people are not making money? When the economy was at it's strongest in the late 1990's and early 2000's, people were not only employed but they were earning significantly higher wages. As a result, people spent a lot more money. When people spend, that will create jobs. However, who is going to buy your products if everyone is paid low wages and can't afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 07:18 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,145,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I think common sense is in order. A franchise owner can afford to pay his employee 15 dollars per hour with health insurance and some holidays. I own fast food franchises. McDonalds is one of the most lucrative franchises to own. Even with higher wages and health insurance, you would still make a significant profit.

What people fail to realize is that who is going to buy your products if people are not making money? When the economy was at it's strongest in the late 1990's and early 2000's, people were not only employed but they were earning significantly higher wages. As a result, people spent a lot more money. When people spend, that will create jobs. However, who is going to buy your products if everyone is paid low wages and can't afford it.
Yes, common sense is in order. People keep saying she has 4 kids. A $15/hr isn't enough for a family of 5. Why do they bring that up?

The single mother of 4 started her McDonald's job in 2004. She didn't benefit from those significantly hire wages back then, either.

The minimum wage in the late 90's and early 2000's was lower, so employers were paying less. If you adjust the minimum wage for inflation, it's a wash. The early 2000's was a recession.

Last edited by move4ward; 08-03-2014 at 08:31 AM..

Old 08-03-2014, 10:43 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,283,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
With 24 per week working people have plenty of time to look for a better jobs than this low life job Mc Donalds who is not taking care of it employees ..... There are some restaurants which serve better food making better pay if the food service is what you like some cooks serve $40 plates ............ I worked in a restaurant forty years ago making $3.50 per hour , so if you look at the increase in this field that is one dollar per hour every ten years to your $7.35
What I do not get why people say the employee is to blame and should look for another job if their job does not pay much. Somehow it is not okay to take a low wage but it is okay to pay your employees a lot. It seems we want to hold the employees responsible but not the employers. Why should they be allowed to pay people so little especially when the CEO's of these companies are making so much money.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:04 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,768,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
What I do not get why people say the employee is to blame and should look for another job if their job does not pay much. Somehow it is not okay to take a low wage but it is okay to pay your employees a lot. It seems we want to hold the employees responsible but not the employers. Why should they be allowed to pay people so little especially when the CEO's of these companies are making so much money.
The supposed logic behind what you describe is that an owner/manager can decide to pay whatever they want since it's their business they own/manage, even if it is morally wrong to not pay their employees more when they can afford to do so.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:42 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,941,445 times
Why people choose to have kids before they have a college degree and a living wage job is beyond me.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:49 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,214,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Why people choose to have kids before they have a college degree and a living wage job is beyond me.
College is not always the answer. It is not the only way to be a productive member.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:16 PM

30,914 posts, read 37,067,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
A competent and productive member of society.
And we're obviously not talking about that type of person if they have 4 kids out of wedlock and are working at a minimum wage job.

And quite honestly, even lots of competent and productive people can't afford to have 4 kids. I'd venture to say most competent & productive people in this day and age know they can't have 4 kids and be able to do a good job.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:25 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,535,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The unions pick the 1968 minimum wage because it was the high water mark for its purchasing power, yet they try to pass it off as if it is the historical norm for purchasing power, when it wasn't. The current $7.25 minimum is somewhere in the middle of its historical range for purchasing power. But the effective minimum is much higher than $7.25 because a lot of states have higher minimums.

As others have said or implied, it's not 1968 any more. Those fighting for a $13 or $15 minimum wage may well find themselves replaced by machines.

Only if the middle class chooses to go along with it.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:04 PM

10,349 posts, read 14,017,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
And we're obviously not talking about that type of person if they have 4 kids out of wedlock and are working at a minimum wage job.

And quite honestly, even lots of competent and productive people can't afford to have 4 kids. I'd venture to say most competent & productive people in this day and age know they can't have 4 kids and be able to do a good job.
Yes, most competent and productive people wait until they can afford to have kids in the first place and they have one or two since they understand how much it costs and want to be able to actually support their kids.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:09 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,214,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Yes, most competent and productive people wait until they can afford to have kids in the first place and they have one or two since they understand how much it costs and want to be able to actually support their kids.
There's nothing wrong with having 3 or 4 kids as long as you can afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment