Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 10:12 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,517,466 times

Advertisements

Don't take this job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 11:22 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,790,483 times
Go with your own gut, nep321, not a good feel, given what you describe, I don't think I would work there.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:42 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,054,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Today I had an interview with a company and as soon as I got there and walked inside, I was appalled at how nasty and filthy the place was.
Don't be expecting a raise come the new fiscal year from this company.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:00 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,992,552 times
If a company cannot provide a decent and clean environment for its employees, it gives you a good idea of how much they value them and will treat them in other areas. BIG red flag if you got bad vibes from the condition of the building and the lack of hospitality at the interview.

I once worked in a call center that had 2nd hand everything, from the chairs to the computers, all in rough shape. It was no surprise that pay was low, benefits stunk and policies were not employee friendly. The company ended up closing that call center and relocated it to the Phillipines, where they could operate even cheaper. Sad thing is....the owners were two Harvard graduates who made millions from the company and could have treated their employees much better.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:22 AM

8,313 posts, read 8,749,138 times
It sounds like most posters on this thread have only worked for small companies.

Money for the building is not wage and benefit money. Completely separate.

When I worked for the then Fortune 1 company it was the oldest and dirtiest place I ever worked. Chairs older than I was. I had great pay and benefits. They wouldn't put a dime into the building unless they had to.

I don't remember anyone ever quitting because of that.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:26 AM

7,953 posts, read 7,893,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
It sounds like most posters on this thread have only worked for small companies.

Money for the building is not wage and benefit money. Completely separate.

When I worked for the then Fortune 1 company it was the oldest and dirtiest place I ever worked. Chairs older than I was. I had great pay and benefits. They wouldn't put a dime into the building unless they had to.

I don't remember anyone ever quitting because of that.
That might have been true back then but you have to consider allergies and what it can mean for conditions in the long run. I have a good friend that lived in an apartment that had a mold issue that ultimately killed his AKC husky.

You have to maintain buildings. Here in the northeast lead paint can be a deterrent from new home buyers due to concerns with children. There is also an asbestos factor where a major retailer got into a ton of trouble by having people manually clean it up with their hands!

Code violations can add up. ADA alone can be pretty costly
I just passed by a hardware store in western mass that by the looks of the first half appears to be shuttered and broken down. The other half clearly shows it is open. While it is true that locals know it is open how exactly is it to expand?

Recently a Au Bon Pain closed in my town. I liked it for the food but eventually the decor faded. The waterfall was turned off, the tv was taken down, paint was not repainted and worst off all half of the light bulbs in the mens bathroom burned out and were not replaced! As a result the place reeked because well apparently not everyone could aim. So that explains the lack of customers.

Little things add up with buildings.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:51 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,536,160 times
we are really talking about a host of potential problems. Yes lead, asbestos, sick building syndrome, pests, insects, basic hygiene issues. Mice and rats carry serious diseases, they wiped out a third of Europe, for those who didn't sleep through history 101 would agree. Old or broken furniture, doors, windows or other fixtures could lead to injuries. So I hope that those employers or any like that have a good liability insurance or are prepared for personal injury lawsuits. People will eventually get hurt one way or another.

OP my advice would be to NOT take this "job." Something bad could happen in a week or in a matter of days. You are going to be putting yourself at serious risk. I doubt it will be worth the money.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:42 PM

10,117 posts, read 19,487,858 times
If the building has mold, no telling what type of crud you could pick up. I hope you thoroughly washed all clothes you wore there!

Old 09-13-2014, 01:17 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,869,634 times
I personally would take the job and keep looking for something better. You never know what may happen. It may take you a long time to find another job.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:36 PM

22,060 posts, read 25,415,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Agreed. Basic maintenance and custodial requirements are not being met. Doesn't matter whether this is directly the fault of the business or the landlord, it reflects poorly on a company that is too cheap to pay one way or the other.

Unless you really need the job, I would look elsewhere.
Yup, it does. Not necessarily that they're even broke though. There's a couple law firms I go to that are just disgusting. I mean, it's pretty standard to see working offices with boxes of files taking over the place and the furniture/carpeting and so on haven't been updated since the place opened 30 years ago... that doesn't really bug me. But when the carpet hasn't been vacuumed for at least three months and there's old coffee cups with dry crusty stuff since the water all evaporated in the conference room? Yikes.

Some of those firms are doing pretty well financially. I know one just opened a second office. The new office doesn't have the years of accumulated filth yet, but it won't take long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment