Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 02:05 PM

7,942 posts, read 7,857,190 times

Advertisements

I'd add that if the place really isn't in good condition how are they keeping their records? Buckets do NOT fix leaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 03:29 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,384,993 times
The question is: who's responsible for cleaning the building. There has to be something in place. Is it the employee's job? Because if so, that may be why they don't seem to care. I'm not above rolling up my shirt sleeves but I wouldn't be the designated maid.

What sends up the red flags here is the health of the building. If a building is sick, you'll be sick being inside the building. Let's face it, you don't have to eat there and you can sanitize one restroom stall, probably. You can keep your little area clean (maybe it will rub off) so if the job pays well and you're interested, I'd still take it. But if there is mildew in the air conditioning system (do they even change the filters?) and nasty carpet and moldy features, it might be flat out unhealthy.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:41 PM

221 posts, read 336,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
It sounds like most posters on this thread have only worked for small companies.

Money for the building is not wage and benefit money. Completely separate.

When I worked for the then Fortune 1 company it was the oldest and dirtiest place I ever worked. Chairs older than I was. I had great pay and benefits. They wouldn't put a dime into the building unless they had to.

I don't remember anyone ever quitting because of that.

+1. You should see the rathole I work in. But it's a lucrative rathole, and I don't ever see myself departing voluntarily.

In a past career, I did extensive visiting of various work environments...and I'm kind of thinking there is a touch of entitlement going on here. Find out about the actual job, not whether the on-site butler will get you a flask of beverage

Old 09-13-2014, 04:48 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,761,774 times
Keep in mind that they are asking you to spend 5 days a week, 40 hours, at this building, your home away from home per say.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:58 PM

522 posts, read 697,451 times
I think at that point I would've just asked to go to the bathroom and left. The company sounds like a joke if it can't even keep up a semi-decent work environment.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:54 PM

506 posts, read 327,634 times
Yes. Given that the company can't even take care of its own property, who knows how it is going to treat its workers?

Old 09-13-2014, 11:37 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,032,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Today I had an interview with a company and as soon as I got there and walked inside, I was appalled at how nasty and filthy the place was. The receptionist let me use the bathroom and on the way there, I had to walk down this hall way and the carpet was disgusting with mildew and stains all over, and the paint on the walls was chipping. In the bathroom there was mold. The whole place had a musty smell to it and things were not that organized.

The whole interior of the building was very......strange. It felt extremely claustrophobic. The halls were very narrow, the walls were bright yellow, which drove me crazy. And the conference room that we had the interview in was extremely outdated. The chairs had hair and lint all over them. I was just disgusted by the lack of cleanliness and lack of any sort of modernization of the entire facility.

I just can't picture myself working in an environment like that.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
2002. Got placed by an agency with a smallish company called ITM Solutions. Was in a small office in a larger building. Office was run down, carpets dirty, all crammed in there together. Not ideal.

Got a large contract and they moved to another space that was a lot larger and a lot nicer.

2003. Got a job at a financial company. Building was way behind the times, floors icky, roof falling apart, etc.

Company made billions and moved to a larger space, fully customized, nicely decked out. Was at the time the most fixed salary I'd ever made.

My point: if the company has at least a chance to grow and go somewhere, you might actually end up better off than being a number at some high-swing company that has ultra nice buildings but doesn't care about its employees. My best experiences have been at small-to-medium companies that were in a state of growth, despite how crummy their building might have been.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:54 AM

6,412 posts, read 6,312,442 times
My first job out of grad school I walked in for the interview and was like wtf?! It was in a basement, worst part of town, obnoxious old school cheap fluorescent lighting, no windows, trashy bathroom, etc.

But my would be boss was a peach and they gave me a flexible schedule. (I assume they didn't get many good applicants.) I was happy to work there due to those reasons.

My point: weigh all points.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:32 AM

779 posts, read 975,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yeah I know. Compared to where I currently work, it's like night and day. My current job is located in an office building with beautifully landscaped grounds, adequate lighting, nice carpeting, parking garage, and is reasonably up to date in appearance. Maybe I'm spoiled, but seriously, the place I interviewed at today was disgusting. Also, the job pay is estimated to be about 15% less than fair market value, which sucks.
Go ahead and take the job. Let us know if the estimated 15% less pay was correct and why you were looking for another
job.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:03 AM

4,321 posts, read 4,225,939 times
Many years ago I worked for a midsize very prestigious company. Top floor of a highrise in Midtown Manhattan, luxurious building, dedicated elevator, mahogany desk, some rare wood paneling in the conference room, all kinds of exotic training programs, gourmet catering for meetings, even staff meetings. Company went out of business after a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment