Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 02:04 AM

310 posts, read 685,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelJockey View Post
So if I were to put on my resume "July 2010 - October 2014, Self-employed daytrader" you think I'd have a better chance??
FWIW, the daytrader isn't the issue, pushing smokes is.
Not in a million years would I let get a resume from a tobacco pusher get past the shredder at our organization.

What happened trading? Got squeezed on a short and had to cover into a huge loss?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 05:22 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,855,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarelyRelocating View Post
FWIW, the daytrader isn't the issue, pushing smokes is.
Not in a million years would I let get a resume from a tobacco pusher get past the shredder at our organization.

What happened trading? Got squeezed on a short and had to cover into a huge loss?
That's pretty ****ed up. Hope you end up unemployed and discriminated against.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:10 AM

5,770 posts, read 3,220,581 times
Quote:
So here's my situation...my last job I was a territory manager for a major tobacco company. I worked there from 2007 until 2010 when I laid off due to a restructuring. At the time I was trading stocks and doing well with it. Well enough that at some points I was making more money than when I had a job. So I just kept at it and didn't pursue another job.

Well, I took a huge hit on my stocks and lost A LOT of money! So now I am in need of a job. What the heck do I do?? I can't just turn in a resume that shows my last job was in 2010, employers would look down on that.

I thought about just making up a job that I worked at the last 4 years, and say it was overseas in another country. How would they verify employment then? They wouldn't call a company in another country to check, would they?
I think that getting a job as a management consultant would be easier than getting a job. Consider making the day trading thing a full time pursuit while you were unemployed.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:17 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,116,258 times
Go to Saudi Arabia and work as a real camel jockey.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:32 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,002 times
if you lie they have ground to fire you. day trader not a lie, show them your records, if you made money trading thats a good resume.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:05 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,417,559 times
I think the day trading is a positive thing. It sounds daring, creative, shows initiative blah blah blah.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:50 AM

260 posts, read 427,921 times
Totally agree with using daytrader as recent employment. If you are still struggling to find a job, why not consider volunteer work or if you're young enough, internships? That way people can personally see your work ethic and consider hiring you. That's what happened to me. In any case best of luck!

Old 10-05-2014, 10:16 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,116,258 times
A friend of mine trades stocks, not a day trader, as he stays in the positions for months. His account has done very well over the last 6 years. This year, he was contacted with a job offer by the brokerage(one of the top 5 largest brokers) holding his account. He's hasn't had a day job in 6 years. He declined the job, since he doesn't want a real job.

Go figure. One guy sees stock investing as shameful and a need to lie, while other people are getting job offers based solely on stock trading with no resume or work history.

Last edited by move4ward; 10-05-2014 at 11:11 AM..

Old 10-05-2014, 10:20 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,354,805 times
Quote:
So here's my situation...my last job I was a territory manager for a major tobacco company. I worked there from 2007 until 2010 when I laid off due to a restructuring. At the time I was trading stocks and doing well with it. Well enough that at some points I was making more money than when I had a job. So I just kept at it and didn't pursue another job.

Well, I took a huge hit on my stocks and lost A LOT of money! So now I am in need of a job. What the heck do I do?? I can't just turn in a resume that shows my last job was in 2010, employers would look down on that.

I thought about just making up a job that I worked at the last 4 years, and say it was overseas in another country. How would they verify employment then? They wouldn't call a company in another country to check, would they?
Just say you were self employed with day trading and then maybe make up something else. For some reason I would be skeptical if someone said they made a living day trading for the past 4 years.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:07 AM

3 posts, read 5,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Just say you were self employed with day trading and then maybe make up something else. For some reason I would be skeptical if someone said they made a living day trading for the past 4 years.
I have to agree with the part about making something else up.

If you are going to be applying for jobs that are directly related to your day trading (ie stock broker, etc) then putting on your resume that you were self-employed day trader would probably help you...unless they wanted proof of all your trades and saw you lost a lot of money then they might think twice about hiring you as a trader.

Now if your going to try and get a job in a totally different field then just putting that you were a self-employed day trader might not even get your resume past the trash can. I have a friend who was self-employed for several years and after the recession his business was no longer profitable so he decided to close it and find an office job. He applied to many jobs but never got an interview and he is college educated and had good experience from running his own business for years but that didnt seem to matter.

Finally, he hired a hiring/resume coach who basicly told him that putting self-employed on a resume was seen as a black mark by many HR people because they thought it meant the person would be too independent thinking for a company and would not be easily molded to a company's work views and would possibly leave the company if they decided one day to start another self-employed business. He also said that HR people did not like the fact that it was harder to verify a self-employed person's past work since there would be no HR person for them to call. The hiring coach told my friend that instead of putting on his resume that he was self-employed he should put it as regular employment and list himself as a manager of the business instead of the owner. He also gave him tips about how to get someone to verify his employment so it would appear to be a regular employment job instead of self-employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment