Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2014, 09:28 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,313,754 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't mind wearing a suit and tie. If it's tailored right it looks nice and is comfortable and actually reduces a lot of clothing decision making. Don't really understand the hate for the jacket. That is my favorite part. It's easy to take on and off and there's always a pocket that is perfect for carrying a smart phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 09:38 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,861,074 times
There is just got to more here than "wearing formal attire".....

What's the real issue????

Old 10-24-2014, 12:44 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,919,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Are most of them in IT, like you are? I think IT is a different animal than many other professional jobs, because you do a mix of sit down computer work and hands on physical work. Even in an environment with a more formal atmosphere the IT department typically dresses down a bit. Obviously I am speaking generally and there are exceptions as you've noted.
Pretty much every software developer wears jeans to work. It falls in the IT bucket but there is no crawling around. It is sitting in the computer all day. I haven't worked in a business formal environment ever. People across all kinds of roles wore all sorts of casual clothing and 90% never crawled around.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:58 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,589,537 times
I can do the shirt, tie and dress pants, but not a suit jacket on at all times. That's more restricted to the finance industry.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:12 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,572,110 times
You should move to conservative Birmingham, Alabama. You will never see as many suits and ties as in this place. And rigid work hours, and modest pay scales.

Longer I've lived here, the more I'm convinced that the folks that make the decisions in this city, want to stay in the year 1960. But the law makes them accept some change. Thank God for at least those laws.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Rule of thumb: jobs that require a suit tend to be rather well paid. The higher salary should cover your dry cleaning bill.

OP, if you don't want to wear a suit, don't apply for the job. Also, before you wear a blazer to a job that requires a suit, you'd better check and see if that is OK, because a blazer with dress pants is not a suit.

You can purchase a "summer weight" suit to keep the weight and the heat down.
Gotta disagree with that. In my experience, even low level entry type positions want a suit. A SUIT, not an ugly cartoon tie with a clown shirt.

Uggghhh...I've burned out apparently.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, the job has nothing to do with dealing with clients or customers or anything like that. I would just be in a building working in a back office cubicle all day, every day, only interacting with a few coworkers. So it boggles my mind why they require employees to wear suits. You've gotta be *KIDDING* me.

Also, another poster pointed out that the fact that they require formal attire says something about the company. I, for one, do NOT like old school ANYTHING. It's 2014, I'm a liberal person and like progress.
Man, you just need to turn and run from this gig. there will be others come down the pike. I'd take a pass.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:50 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,060,172 times
I think another point people may be missing is that it's not just the type of attire that has to be worn, but the whole attitude of the employer. An employer that would require formal attire every day, year round, for positions that don't face clients regularly probably is obsessed with image rather than work quality, probably doesn't treat their employees very well, and probably has a lot of arbitrary rules that make life difficult for employees without any real benefit to the employer. And I think the OP is fearing that it means a more conservative environment then he is comfortable with.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:27 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,484,161 times
If I had a choice, I would choose NOT to wear a suit and tie. If I needed the job, then I would suck it up and do business formal. For some folks, too much dry cleaning can really create a large bill. And I hear it's not good to dry clean more than once every 3 months... something to do with wearing out the materials or something.

After one of my interviews, I got back to my motel across the street and switched to sandals, shorts, and a Tshirt since it was 90 degrees where I interviewed. I deemed an acceptable risk of someone seeing me (they all more or less returned to their offices, or wasn't the right time in that window of opportunity) vs. NOT to dirty the suit and dress pants, as even though I don't interview that often, interviews are part of my livelihood to get a job and pay the bills.

And yeah, it is nice to see people in an interview with T-shirts, or otherwise business casual. I had a band instructor in high school saying even though it's not professional, we did consider doing a concert in school clothes since the A/C went out, if nothing else, to show that it was the people playing the instruments, not the suits and blouses. I've heard cases where some office end up allowing business casual since the air conditioner is too weak, or went out for a few days.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:21 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,608,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Pretty much every software developer wears jeans to work. It falls in the IT bucket but there is no crawling around. It is sitting in the computer all day. I haven't worked in a business formal environment ever. People across all kinds of roles wore all sorts of casual clothing and 90% never crawled around.
To avoid looking like I'm somebody from IT is why I never wear jeans to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment