Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 08:00 AM

6 posts, read 4,702 times

Advertisements

my employer requires business professional dress from all positions, mailroom to CEO.

they are also known for being an extremely low payer and once hired will not give raises, no matter if you are promoted or not.

in fact, many staff i've spoken with shop at goodwill for their dress-clothes so they can afford the code less they violate it and be removed from the premises. Seriously. GoodWill.

the Company is located in Nashville, so it's always fun to wear a suit in 110 degree heat. they make sure to send out the dress code every summer to make sure we remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illcosby View Post
Depends.
I've been doing the jeans and t-shirt thing in my office for almost 7 years, we're allowed to wear whatever as long as it's clean. If clients are showing up, we get a day's notice to put on a shirt with a collar. That's about it.
Yes, nothing says professional like having a collar on your shirt. As if the staff beliefs and values suddenly change at the appearance of a collar on the shirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
Absolutely! I would welcome the opportunity to work somewhere where people care enough to dress and act like professionals.
Dress code does not make one 'act professional.' There are plenty of criminals and fraudsters wearing suits, including the employer I work for which recently paid nearly $100m in fines for fraud which was organized from the very top by the CEO and CFO. "Act Professional." Yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
A company that requires formal dress is pretty much the polar opposite of that sentiment. Their actions are saying "we value you as professionals, and we want you yourselves and the rest of the world to view you that way, too." Sign me up!
Really? My employer, when an employee is promoted, will give a maximum of a 5% raise even if the job's minimum is much higher simply because they are an internal candidate. Furthermore, salary bands are 'anonymous.'

Yes, their actions value the employee as professional because they require business professional of all staff. They really value their employees which is evident from the glassdoor.com reviews where the Company has a 2.5 stars and the CEO's approval rating is 24%.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If they want you to wear a suit, they expect you to act in a professional manner and aren't going to be happy with your playing for 25% of the time that they are paying you to work.
What on earth is with this nonsense that somehow wearing certain clothes causes one to 'act professional?' Did the Wall Street fraudsters in their 5 thousand dollar suits 'act professional?'

By the way, I make 40k a year and am required to 'act professional' each and every day by wearing a shirt and tie. I feel very professional and like the Company values me when I apply for a new job at a higher salary range and they give me max a 5% raise. And guess what? I get my dress shirts tailored so they aren't looking like a tent by getting the sleeves and sides taken in and find good deals on shoes such as Bruno Maglia for <$100 and a Brioni tie at TJ Max for $30.

I feel and act super professional. AND VALUED.

I feel so valued and professional.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:21 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,318,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH98 View Post
Dress code does not make one 'act professional.' There are plenty of criminals and fraudsters wearing suits, including the employer I work for which recently paid nearly $100m in fines for fraud which was organized from the very top by the CEO and CFO. "Act Professional."
To be fair it is called "White Collar" crime not "Casual Friday" or "T-Shirt and Jeans" crime.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:23 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,754,141 times
Quote:
What on earth is with this nonsense that somehow wearing certain clothes causes one to 'act professional?' Did the Wall Street fraudsters in their 5 thousand dollar suits 'act professional?'
There's a difference between acting professionally and acting ethically...

The below link clearly defines the difference (as it relates to the medical field):

Is your doctor's behavior unethical or unprofessional? | OUPblog

Old 03-02-2017, 10:23 PM

787 posts, read 645,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
According to statistics, 91% of companies are business casual these days. However, 9% of them still have a formal dress code (suit and tie).

Currently, I have a potential job opportunity that requires ALL employees to wear "business formal" attire five days a week. Yikes. I NEVER had a job that required that. Always business casual.

According to glassdoor.com, the reviews for the company are generally positive, and people say that the pay, benefits, culture and company are great. But they say that the one con is wearing business formal.

Now, I don't know if they let you take off your blazer while working during the day. God, I would hope so. I need to be comfortable while I'm at work. I'm a small, skinny guy, so wearing a blazer all day would be hell.

Another thing that sucks is that, just last month, I spent $600 on updating my business casual wardrobe (all new shirts, pants). Now, if I took this job, I would have to basically buy all new business formal clothes AGAIN and throw away all the business casual clothes I just bought. Ugh!

Anyway, back to the point. Would you accept a job that requires business formal dress code?
This whole thread is just full of lols.

I was raised to believe that being a man is not just about responsibility, maturity, morals, and ethics, but about how you dress and carry yourself as well.

What kind of a man shys away from putting on a suit? Any day I walk out the door in nice looking leather shoes, a smooth matching belt, and a stunning timepiece on my wrist, in a well tailored suit, is a day I feel alive, and I feel great.

Never understood a guy who complained or groaned about dressing well, and 9/10 times his poor experiences are due to crap clothing and poor fitting clothing. A well fitted suit in quality fabrics, heck I get a diamond hard erection just walking around in one, knowing I carry the responsibility of the well being of any hussy in the immediate area who might faint at the mere sight of such a well put together man in his prime.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:29 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,589,849 times
For the right opportunity absolutely. It makes no difference to me what I wear. I would require a higher salary than I'm currently making to maintain that wardrobe and dry cleaning costs though...but honestly I wouldn't take a job with a lower salary at this point so that's kind of a moot point.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:17 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,762,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
This whole thread is just full of lols.

I was raised to believe that being a man is not just about responsibility, maturity, morals, and ethics, but about how you dress and carry yourself as well.

What kind of a man shys away from putting on a suit? Any day I walk out the door in nice looking leather shoes, a smooth matching belt, and a stunning timepiece on my wrist, in a well tailored suit, is a day I feel alive, and I feel great.

Never understood a guy who complained or groaned about dressing well, and 9/10 times his poor experiences are due to crap clothing and poor fitting clothing. A well fitted suit in quality fabrics, heck I get a diamond hard erection just walking around in one, knowing I carry the responsibility of the well being of any hussy in the immediate area who might faint at the mere sight of such a well put together man in his prime.

Did this thread get moved to the PUA sub forum when I wasn't looking? Anyway you better switch to cotton boxers before those diamonds end up getting you a sexual harassment charge or a restraining order put out against you.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:41 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,496,492 times
Typically people in these environments are well compensated.

Wearing suits is actually easier than business casual as you just get some navy and charcoal suits, some solid colored shirts and a variety of ties and you should be good to go. The hardest part is matching the tie and if you need one the pocket square. In many of these environments the jacket gets hung up in your office as soon as you get in and does not go back on again until you leave, go with whatever the office culture is, and in this case people often get two sets of pants for each jacket as the jackets last much longer.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:43 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,496,492 times
Quote:
Dress code does not make one 'act professional.' There are plenty of criminals and fraudsters wearing suits, including the employer I work for which recently paid nearly $100m in fines for fraud which was organized from the very top by the CEO and CFO. "Act Professional." Yeah.
You an act professional while perpetrating fraud....as a matter of fact it helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment