Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 04:46 AM

9,018 posts, read 13,875,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Night shift is job security for me. Very few people can truly live a totally overnight lifestyle. That's where I come in to rake the money in. As for health problems I have been doing various night gigs for about 20 years and have had no issues.
I was reading that night shift work causes heart disease.....that is scary.

You are right though,very few people can truly work nights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 07:14 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,316,187 times
I remember working at a law firm in NYC many years ago - the word processing department was staffed 24 hours a day (I was day shift). The night shift was pretty much left to their own devices for the most part, but one night the head of the department came in for a surprise visit to find most of the staff asleep, complete with pillows on their desks.

They were all let go immediately.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:04 AM

4 posts, read 5,642 times
This week I found out that a boss in another department has a back-room he uses to take naps during the day. He's not a hypocrite though, because he doesn't bust people for nodding off.

Random thoughts:

I read that Facebook or Google has some sort of weird sleeping pods for their employees.

The Spanish seem to understand a siesta is beneficial.

Humans were meant to sleep at night. You can't stop it, no matter how hard you try to fight nature.

Air traffic controllers work 45 minutes on, then a break. So, it would be hard for them to fall asleep.

There are only two types of people on night shift: Those that admit they sleep on the job and the liars.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:13 AM

17,665 posts, read 17,817,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
I work midnight to 8 AM and have become used to it. I do not think I could last to long on those rotating shifts. That has to be hard on the body.
The day I start the 11pm-7am shift, I take melatonin and unisom to help me sleep through the day. Our bedroom is dark even in the brightest day. I use the unisom for the first few days. I have trouble focusing on unimportant task but I am awake. By the third or fourth day I don't need the unisom and that's when the most important scheduled work is planned. When I get off on Tuesday, I go to bed and set my alarm to wake me early. Rest of the day I'm totally useless and physically/mentally out of sync. The other two shifts are easier to adjust.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:15 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,214,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
The day I start the 11pm-7am shift, I take melatonin and unisom to help me sleep through the day. Our bedroom is dark even in the brightest day. I use the unisom for the first few days. I have trouble focusing on unimportant task but I am awake. By the third or fourth day I don't need the unisom and that's when the most important scheduled work is planned. When I get off on Tuesday, I go to bed and set my alarm to wake me early. Rest of the day I'm totally useless and physically/mentally out of sync. The other two shifts are easier to adjust.
I have worked the night shift more years than most of the people on this forum are old. It isn't easy and, yes, you feel better when you work days or second shift. Working night shifts successfully is more about finding the system that works for you. If I try to stay up, after my shift is over, I feel like a zombie. I like to come home and get some sleep - not too much that I cannot sleep before I go back into work. I usually try to get three or four hours in the morning and three or four hours before I go back to work. I do flex my hours sometimes and I also work my hours around appointments. Sometimes I can only catch a catnap.

Everybody is different. It does take time to adjust and find the system that works for you.

Old 09-06-2017, 03:06 AM

4 posts, read 2,132 times
THAT IS A BUNCH OF ****!!!!!!! I JUST NODDED OFF AT WORK AND THE SLEEZY ASS NIGHT SECURITY GUARD WROTE ME UP>>>>im sitting here wondering if im going to loose my job...then apartment then everything else. its about as offensive as peeing on toilet seat.
I don't know...I feel bad. but loosing my job on the first offense seems extreme....what do you think will happen? they mentioned a three strike policy two years ago when I got the job. two years with no mishaps. ...I really feel like I don't have any options in terms of new work. I don't have a degree, and im trying to pay for an expensive city by myself. I have a dog. how could someones life go that wrong just because of something so accidental.

Old 09-06-2017, 03:10 AM

is this forum really old or do people respond??? im just sitting here waiting for someone to say something...unless youre going to be a jerk..of course.

Old 09-06-2017, 03:15 AM

I was reading that lack of sleep causes everything from obesity to schitzophrenia. psychotic hallucinations..and even death . it's not just an inconvenience. it screws with our bodies if we don't adjust correctly to nightshifts,,,,,,,i feel like a guilty little kid ....in trouble. and im afraid. there is no other job out there for me. maybe I can become ??????I used to work as a preschool substitute, but it only paid ten an hour. and im struggling on 1400 a month after taxes as it is. I don't think that no sleep is just something that a person gets used to. I think it is very dangerous......but not as dangerous as me not being able to do my job. by the time anyone responds...im going to be gone.,,,ever felt so guilty you cant move? frozen...that's me..ashamed,,,

Last edited by crappitycrapcrap; 09-06-2017 at 03:27 AM..

Old 09-06-2017, 03:30 AM

I need a lifestyle change with more money.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:39 AM

10,627 posts, read 12,182,515 times
1) Are YOU a security guard? You don't say. Saying 'a night security guard' wrote you up. Doesn't tell us what you should have been doing and what your job was. IF you were a security guard -- well then depending on what you SHOULD have been watching out for then that could make your falling asleep a more serious issue. Is your job to watch paint dry -- or are really supposed to be 'guarding' something?

2) Was this 'security guard' a supervisor or boss? You don't say that either.

3) IF there's a three strikes policy, and this is your first issue then you should be OK. Let's hope.
But could they fire you? Yes. But they likely won't. Again, let's hope.
Could depend on your relationship with the boss or supervisor otherwise. Good luck. IF they're understanding you should be fine.

This is why it never hurts to make friends with co-workers. It's no guarantee they'll have your back. But I like to think it increases the chances. I'd like to think a friend/co-worker would have just awakened you and said, "Yo, you can't fall a sleep like this." But instead this person wrote you up.....

You'll just have to see what the aftermath is......

(Oh and people may not have responded yet for a couple of reasons:
1) Sometimes they only look at the start date see it's old and don't read further.
2) Starting a new topic or issue in an old thread may not get a lot of answers because of 1) above
3) if people DO answer sometimes they're answering and commenting on the ORIGINAL topic, and not even paying attention that you've starting a whole 'nother question with the last bump up post.
4) for these reasons it's sometimes best to just start a new thread.)

Last edited by selhars; 09-06-2017 at 08:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment