Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: So, would you?
Yes 12 57.14%
No 9 42.86%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 11:20 AM

6,812 posts, read 6,978,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
I feel like I am. Based on the fact my presentations were cancelled today - I now have 5 to present next week. I honestly was putting in my letter of resignation tomorrow. I'll still attempt to do the work though.

It's honestly just embarrassing at this point.

Good question - which I will honestly answer. It may be a combination of everything. This is honestly the only job I've had where I have basically stunk. Most of the concepts fly over my head and it's a bit boring, so maybe I do not put in the required time to focus on understanding all of the policies, etc. I've been sitting at my desk for over 2 hours trying to understand one particular subject I NEED to know for a committee tomorrow, and I just do not get it. Faking it...yea, the chairperson will tear you apart if they get a hint you don't know what you are talking about.

I just don't even want to try anymore based on the fact I fail every time. I think it's seriously affecting my self-esteem.

I want to ask a coworker for help, but they look at you like you have four eyes when you tell them you don't understand something, especially if they think it's simple. Everyone sits on a high horse in this office.
Find something else. Being subjected to feeling bad about yourself for 8 hours a day is going to take a toll on your self esteem and confidence when looking for another job.

I've had jobs that I was in over my head, but persevered to become successful at them because I wanted to and was up to the challenge. In a few others, I didn't have the interest, patience, desire or talent to perform a job so left to find something else. We spend so much time at work, it has to be something at least bearable. There are some jobs that people are not cut out for, and there is no reason to stay in them.

If you are considering moving, this would be an ideal time to do it. Just do it in the right way, and don't burn any bridges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 06:30 AM

532 posts, read 961,275 times
I did, a long time ago -- I took a job as assistant to the company accountant. I NEVER should have taken it. I had 2 interviews (account and the president of the company), I did have accounting well bookkeeping experience, but never embellished my resume.

Even when I was offered the job, I should have listened to the little voice in my head telling me NO! but the main reason I took the job -- the Accountant (and President), but mainly the Accountant as he was my boss was so nice.

I stayed for 3 months and knew I had to leave -- yes, my boss remained very nice, I just clearly didn't have enough experience for the job.

I resigned giving 2 weeks time, they were able to fill the position about a week before I left.

Interesting that I didn't feel qualified, but before I left I put together some manuals on the job (there were time sensitive tasks that had to be done on certain days) and even did a week's worth of training for the new person and realized I knew more than I thought I did

After I put in my notice, my boss commented that I seemed so much more relaxed!

I don't regret it at all -- I didn't have another job lined up, but this was 15+ years ago. I never put it on my resume either given the short time I was there, nor did I ask for any references (although the president did tell me to call him if he could do anything for me), I felt given the reason why I resigned and being there only 3 months, I didn't want to put them in an awkward position of possibly saying no to a reference request.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:12 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,138,671 times
To the OP,

If you are that bad at your job, it doesn't matter if you are fired or if you quit. Your boss will still give you a mediocre reference and in interviews you will have to give a reason why you left. That said if your QOL of is so bad you can't continue this job any longer, you should quit. You shouldn't be scared of being fired unless they give you a PIP. How long have you been at the job anyways?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment