Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 09:53 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,627,276 times

Advertisements

Dental hygienists make good money. If I could do it over that's what I'd do. The hours are good too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 05:47 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,610,756 times
So it appears that the best return for your buck when going for a 2 year degree and or certificate is either in the medical/dental field (usually falling under the banner of "Allied Health") and the skilled trade field. Is that about right in terms of 2 year degrees or are there other areas worth pursing?

Old 12-31-2014, 06:05 AM

17,461 posts, read 15,592,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
So it appears that the best return for your buck when going for a 2 year degree and or certificate is either in the medical/dental field (usually falling under the banner of "Allied Health") and the skilled trade field. Is that about right in terms of 2 year degrees or are there other areas worth pursing?
Engineering Technology

Old 12-31-2014, 06:22 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,387,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I keep hearing this term "trade school". There is no such thing other than those for-profit places like Triangle Tech that put you in debt and you learn no real skills. Community college is basically a glorified trade school today

Employers really don't want to train workers anymore. They expect "turn key" employees.
Who cares if they are for profit if they teach you what you need to know. I dropped $15k on one of those "for profit" schools, you know with the cheesy commercials. It was a 7 month program, 5 hours a day and 5 days a week. 4 days of hands on learning the trade and 1 day in the classroom. Getting employed after involves hands on tests, so they focused on that. The materials we went through (as much as we could use) made that 15k seem pretty worth it.

I learned enough skills at that school to get me immediately hired at a 55k job with good benefits and experience. Within a couple years of experience at that trade I easily could have been making 100k and work is IN DEMAND. Instead of staying on my tools I got another certification and within 3-4 yrs of that trade school I was making about 150k, which I am now about 5 years later. I have a mostly office job now with great benefits and experience. I'm off 2 weeks over Christmas and getting paid for it.

I went to a trade school and later got my associates. My associates looks good on my resume but doesn't help much job-wise with my experience.

If I had to choose, it would be a tough choice between the tech school I went to or the associates. They are both in the same field. The trade was probably better for the hands on portion, but the associates better for general knowledge. Since the tests to obtain jobs outside of school are hands on, the trade school was better. For learning more on computers, general knowledge, etc. the a.a.s. was good.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:24 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,390,674 times
Surveying A.A.; needed everywhere; you can work for the city, work for road builders, work around the world, work outside.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:54 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,610,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Surveying A.A.; needed everywhere; you can work for the city, work for road builders, work around the world, work outside.
Interesting and is something I never even considered. I have nothing against going the medical/dental and skilled trades route but it is good to know that there are other options for the 2 year degree in the event one decides to invest in it.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:27 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,407,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
This may just be this area, but I know of MANY people who went ONLY for the Associate's in Nursing and had no problems finding work as RNs.
I know many that did the same thing. Nothing stays the same forever though. The market has changed. A decade ago Hospitals were taking anyone that had become an RN. Now the market is full of RN's and hospitals can be picky.

We used to pay new grads $33 an hour for the first 6 months and $36 an hour for the second six months. After that they could get a 5% increase a year or work their way up from RN1 to RN5.

We now start our grads out at $22 an hour and more than not want them to have a BSN.

Now they can make up to $45 an hour. Many RN's here are making close to $100,000 and not working overtime. Those that work overtime are easily making over $100,000 a year. We had one that made $177,000. She worked all the time.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:12 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,733,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I keep hearing this term "trade school". There is no such thing other than those for-profit places like Triangle Tech that put you in debt and you learn no real skills. Community college is basically a glorified trade school today

Employers really don't want to train workers anymore. They expect "turn key" employees.
Just because your perception of them are bad doesn't mean that they are in fact a bad idea. If you go to a trade school without a good reputation that guarantees you job upon graduation and blah blah blah, then yeah, avoid that. But if you go to an actual good trade school, you will learn your trade and be able to be employable at a good salary.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:16 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,733,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Good for him, but I'd love to know where your fiance works! Did he have an established friend, who owned a high end shop & immediately began working there upon graduation, with a ready made clientele & inexpensive booth rental? That is an extraordinary & very unusual salary for the average hairdresser, let alone 1-yr out of school. According to the labor board, the average hairdresser makes in the $25-30K range. I used it as a stepping stone to other things. Living in large cities, I could barely afford to feed myself when I worked as a hairstylist/makeup artist. How did he get a job with that much earning potential straight away?
NYC and one of the top salon's in the country. She's just an assistant too and this is her first ever job. If you work at a low end salon you will definitely not earn decent money. If you work at a higher end salon you will be able to make a lot of money.

Being a hairdresser the amount of money you make greatly depends on how good you are and how much you have a passion for it. There's people at her salon that are making close to a million a year. It's not impossible.

The people that make 25k a year are the ones that work at salons charging 12 dollars for a hair cut and 40 dollars for a highlight.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:47 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,407,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
NYC and one of the top salon's in the country. She's just an assistant too and this is her first ever job. If you work at a low end salon you will definitely not earn decent money. If you work at a higher end salon you will be able to make a lot of money.

Being a hairdresser the amount of money you make greatly depends on how good you are and how much you have a passion for it. There's people at her salon that are making close to a million a year. It's not impossible.

The people that make 25k a year are the ones that work at salons charging 12 dollars for a hair cut and 40 dollars for a highlight.
A close friend that I have known since I was maybe 12 years old found his calling in life cutting hair. This guy didn't even finish high school. He is not the kind of guy that you may picture as someone that cuts and styles womens hair. Oh the girls like having him around. Picture a half white, half Samoan, surfer dude, in shape, toned and tanned body. Im not even sure how he got started in the business. Now he has become kind of a Rockstar hairstylist working with the Michael O'Rourke team and the Rock your Hair products. This buddy of mine loves what he does. About his only loves are cutting hair, surfing, and #1 on his list his wife and daughter. I can tell you this he is making a lot more money than $25,000 a year. Then again he works in Malibu, Camarillo, and Ventura.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment