Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 07:02 AM

7 posts, read 13,990 times

Advertisements

I've been working mostly in customer service/administrative type roles but would like to be doing something that means more to me - and something that will give me the opportunity to make more money without spending several years in school. What do you think are the "best" (I know that's relative) certifications or 2-year degrees out there?

The ones that look good to me are:

-CNA (But I've heard that can be INCREDIBLY stressful)
-Accounting (But will anyone hire you with a 2yr vs 4yr degree in this area?)

What about you all? Have you pursued a certificate/2-year degree instead of a bachelor's? What field did you study, and would you do it again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 07:16 AM

17,268 posts, read 15,458,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berrylight View Post
I've been working mostly in customer service/administrative type roles but would like to be doing something that means more to me - and something that will give me the opportunity to make more money without spending several years in school. What do you think are the "best" (I know that's relative) certifications or 2-year degrees out there?

What about you all? Have you pursued a certificate/2-year degree instead of a bachelor's? What field did you study, and would you do it again?

CNA is NOT even relatively close to good money. Average CNA pay is $10-$12/hr.
2 years? If you considered CNA, why not go for an RN? Takes 2 years, and is a pretty rewarding career.

And by the way, ANY job that pays relatively decent will be "stressful."
And no, you will likely not get an accounting job with a 2 year degree.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:18 AM

17,268 posts, read 15,458,474 times
Quote:

I received an A.S. in Engineering Technology before going on for my Bachelor's. I got hired relatively easily with offers just under $20/hr.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:24 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,929,800 times
I would suggest earning a two year degree in IT. A two year degree in IT has the potential for you to earn 80-100k in about 5-10 years depending on your specialty. I know some workers in IT who focus on cyber security that are making over 150k.

Whatever you do, try to avoid two-year degrees in things like "Psychology" unless you plan on going all the way to the doctorate level.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:25 AM

22,615 posts, read 47,734,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Agreed!

Old 12-30-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
2 years? If you considered CNA, why not go for an RN? Takes 2 years, and is a pretty rewarding career.

Yes, there is a degree of stress in higher paying jobs but it's more rewarding. Fast food and retail jobs are very stressful add on the stress of trying to live on minimum wage.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:

Yes, there is a degree of stress in higher paying jobs but it's more rewarding. Crap jobs like in fast food and retail are pretty stressful especially when you tack on the additional stress on trying to survive on $9 an hour or juggling multiple $9 an hour jobs.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:51 AM

6,593 posts, read 11,302,314 times
Quote:

If you are currently working, and like the environment/employer - you may want to see what other opportunities there are there to start.

Not saying going back to school isn't worth it - but I would look at the pros and the cons. The only thing that is guaranteed with getting those certs/degree is a few letters behind your name at the end of your email. But how many others are thinking the same thing? And how many jobs are out there?

So is it worth spending that money/time for a 'maybe'? And that's something only you can answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I would suggest earning a two year degree in IT. A two year degree in IT has the potential for you to earn 80-100k in about 5-10 years depending on your specialty. I know some workers in IT who focus on cyber security that are making over 150k.

Whatever you do, try to avoid two-year degrees in things like "Psychology" unless you plan on going all the way to the doctorate level.
The bolded is the key word there. However, the reality is that IT is very much experience/accomplishment based (especially cybersecurity). So again, having that degree makes you more qualified than those that don't have one.... which isn't saying a whole lot given the number of folks that have actual experience.

And while your friend's experience can't be disputed. What can be is whether or not the degree was the sole factor. From my own experience, I'm sure it contributed. But I'll wager that other factors may have had a bigger role in his success (personality, character, environment etc.).

Again, not discounting education. I'm all for it. But it rarely is the "golden" ticket.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:55 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,607,911 times
As s1alker mentioned, 2 year IT seems to be the best ticket. CNA is not great money and there is little upward advancement unless you plan on going to nursing school and completing that BSN. As for accounting certificate, as mentioned earlier would there be situation in which an employer would hire a person with a 2 year accounting certificate over the guy who graduated with a 4 year degree in Accounting?

In terms of healthcare I have heard decent things on respiratory therapy and radiology technician-perhaps it is something to look into?

And yes all jobs to some degree are stressful but adding in the "how will I make it on 9$ an hour" just makes it worse.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:30 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,727,576 times
Have you ever thought about doing a trade school? Can usually be done in a year or so and if you're good at what you do the money comes in fairly easily.

One year out of cosmetology school and my fiance is making roughly 60-70k a year at the lowest position. This is only going to go up from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment