Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 06:48 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,536,077 times

Advertisements

I don't qualify for pell grant this year. My husband makes just over the limit. I will take a loan but that's ok. I hope they will reimburse me, that would be nice.
Did you go to the radiology program too? Was it very hard? I have 2 little kids, worried about study time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 08:11 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,571,368 times
I'm a med tech, not radiology tech. But the people that I know who did it didn't find it taking anymore time than a 9-5 job, except it was like 6 am to 3 pm. The program I saw was set up to have lectures/hand's on experience while there during the day, and some homework at night, a few hours. I can't say how it is with kids though, none of us had any :S. But I don't know how it differs with another program, there's so many of them in the country that I doubt they are all setup the same way.

I wouldn't be too focused on the reimbursement, I say it like it is "small". But a signing bonus can take care of it, if not then just working a few months to a year will take care of it. You mentioned pell grant, so I'm guessing you are a student? If you are a STEM major, you could get the smart grant that's pretty much automatic to any STEM majors.

A benefit to working at the hospital(s) for a family is the health insurance. I don't know if it applies across the board (but it was for the ones I've been in), most of the plans were cheaper than on private market (not sure if it changed with ACA/Obamacare, I never looked on there before) and if the hospital covered it, it was discounted greatly if performed there or out right just "free" (aside from monthly insurance payment). This might save you money for insurance with kids if your spouses isn't on a great insurance. Or get both if you guys want.

While I call it reimbusing, it's more like them putting you through school so they get an employee they like out of it. It's no different than companies paying their employees to go to school. But the hospital can't pay a non-employee to go to school so they reimburse them later after they put in the X number of years. Like how Walgreen pays pharm techs to become pharmacists if they agree to work at Walgreens for 5 years. Air Force paying med school if the future doctor works for 5 years.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:38 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,536,077 times
Thanks for your help!

I have taken prereqs, that's all. But I have taken wnough prereqs I can get into most programs. lol
It's time to actually move on and do something.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:15 PM

63 posts, read 62,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Who cares if they are for profit if they teach you what you need to know. I dropped $15k on one of those "for profit" schools, you know with the cheesy commercials. It was a 7 month program, 5 hours a day and 5 days a week. 4 days of hands on learning the trade and 1 day in the classroom. Getting employed after involves hands on tests, so they focused on that. The materials we went through (as much as we could use) made that 15k seem pretty worth it.

I learned enough skills at that school to get me immediately hired at a 55k job with good benefits and experience. Within a couple years of experience at that trade I easily could have been making 100k and work is IN DEMAND. Instead of staying on my tools I got another certification and within 3-4 yrs of that trade school I was making about 150k, which I am now about 5 years later. I have a mostly office job now with great benefits and experience. I'm off 2 weeks over Christmas and getting paid for it.

I went to a trade school and later got my associates. My associates looks good on my resume but doesn't help much job-wise with my experience.

If I had to choose, it would be a tough choice between the tech school I went to or the associates. They are both in the same field. The trade was probably better for the hands on portion, but the associates better for general knowledge. Since the tests to obtain jobs outside of school are hands on, the trade school was better. For learning more on computers, general knowledge, etc. the a.a.s. was good.

thank you for this post, am also interested in the trade school but am yet to locate any in releigh north carolina, i'll be happy if you could suggest any for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment