Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 10:46 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,971,107 times

Advertisements

There's this gorgeous new girl at work and I really want to ask her out, but I don't know how to approach her. We don't always work in the exact same place because my company works in different parts of a large soccer stadium.

First of all, do you think it's a smart idea in the first place to ask out a co-worker, and secondly what's the best way to ask her on a date without making her feel uncomfortable or disliking me? How can I improve my chances of her saying yes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 11:00 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,104,234 times
Now I'm not sure what this job is but if it were a corporate job that was my career I would probably try to avoid dating coworkers. If your a college student or young adult just working a job I wouldn't really have any issues with it. Sure if you get rejected it may be a little awkward for you moving forward but as long as you realize that and are cool wiht that thatss realy the only thing stopping oyu.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:28 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,927,409 times
Avoid it like the plague.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:33 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,253,091 times
I married a girl from work. We worked in different parts of the company, which was important. A manager/non-manager relationship can also be difficult. We started talking in the hall, then went to lunch a few times, then real dates. It took a few months before we went on a real date.

I would ask if she wants to meet after work for a drink/coffee/something you like. Keep it casual, not too date-ish.

My friend dated a girl from work and it ended badly. He went a little stalker-ish and got fired. Be careful.

897 posts, read 1,181,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Pretty much this. At my first job out of college I heard the person I was replacing quit after getting pregnant from someone she married who worked at the job. The company was giving her a hard time about maternity leave, and since the guy who she was dating and then married was a higher up, they felt like she thought she had special rights so they made an example out of her and found ever legal way to make her suffer until she was forced to quit.

So that was all I needed to know moving forward.

10,075 posts, read 7,547,752 times
Why? You do realize there's a big pool of potential people to date right, I mean outside of work... Why do something that can risk job/career? If you had met her outside of work then dated her and later found out you work together, that's a bit different. Now that you guys know each other at work, it's different.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:08 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,971,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
Why? You do realize there's a big pool of potential people to date right, I mean outside of work... Why do something that can risk job/career? If you had met her outside of work then dated her and later found out you work together, that's a bit different. Now that you guys know each other at work, it's different.
Where am I going to meet these people? It seems like nowadays you can't date anywhere. Online dating is a joke if you're under 30, and hitting people up in public is considered rude at best and creepy/sociopathic at worst. And not everyone has friends who know potential partners that are single and interested in meeting new people.

And don't get me started about these fictitious "groups" we should all join!

Old 02-23-2015, 03:34 PM

154 posts, read 261,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
There's this gorgeous new girl at work and I really want to ask her out, but I don't know how to approach her. We don't always work in the exact same place because my company works in different parts of a large soccer stadium.

First of all, do you think it's a smart idea in the first place to ask out a co-worker, and secondly what's the best way to ask her on a date without making her feel uncomfortable or disliking me? How can I improve my chances of her saying yes?
No it's not smart to ask her out unless you want a sexual harassment suit. You're not even sure if she is single get to know her first

Old 02-23-2015, 03:38 PM

17,208 posts, read 15,428,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post

Old 02-23-2015, 03:51 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,547,409 times
It is ill advised for many reasons. Do you really want to have to be miserable at work if the relationship doesn't work out?

You could also still be miserable at work even if the relationship DOES work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment