Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 05:19 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,923,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Boy are you WRONG! I've worked in HR and I could fire ANYONE at ANY TIME for ANY REASON or NO reason.
I guess you've never been sued for wrongful termination? You sound like a labor lawyer's dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 05:20 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I guess you've never been sued for wrongful termination? It sounds like you are a labor lawyer's dream.
Lawsuits are just a normal part of doing business. Most are settled for pennies on the dollar. Only an idiot doesn't take an offer on something so hard to prove given Employment At Will laws.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:31 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,923,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Lawsuits are just a normal part of doing business. Most are settled for pennies on the dollar. Only an idiot doesn't take an offer on something so hard to prove given Employment At Will laws.
I think employment should be at will, but in practice it's not. At my last company we put up with a lot of underperforming employees and weird behavior to avoid lawsuits and being dragged through the court of public opinion on the front page of the newspaper. It was a little demoralizing to the good workers.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:33 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,531,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Mods, if this does not belong, please move. But it's about flirting.

I'm at work today and was discussing something (work- related) with supervisor.
So as we're wrapping up our discussion, she's sitting behind her desk, playing with her hair - just lightly tugging at the strands. We concluded our talk, I turn to leave her office, and impulsively - I don't know what the hell possessed me to say this - I look at her and say, "Oh, incidentally...didn't you study Psychology in college?" She said yes. So I say, "Not to take this the wrong way, but the tugging at your hair when you're speaking with someone...that's a flirtatious gesture." She looked at me levelly without a word; I said to her, "I studied Psych and the findings of Freud as well as body language!" Think I may have floored her, but meant no harm.

Was I wrong?
😂😂😂😂 Classic

Old 11-02-2015, 08:14 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,345,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I guess you've never been sued for wrongful termination? You sound like a labor lawyer's dream.
Exactly! A coworker of mine was in a car accident on the job. She was out on injury leave (Worker's Comp) She was cleared to return to work several weeks later; discovered that she was fired while on WC! She sued, of course - nearly 6-figure settlement along with automatic reinstatement and retroactive benefits!

Oh...and the supervisor who bad-mouthed the worker: demoted and reassigned to Siberia.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:36 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Exactly! A coworker of mine was in a car accident on the job. She was out on injury leave (Worker's Comp) She was cleared to return to work several weeks later; discovered that she was fired while on WC! She sued, of course - nearly 6-figure settlement along with automatic reinstatement and retroactive benefits!
But was she twirling her hair?

Old 11-02-2015, 08:45 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:

Oh...and the supervisor who bad-mouthed the worker: demoted and reassigned to Siberia.

No connection to sexual harassment.

Now be a good employee and watch every syllable you say for the rest of your tenure there.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:06 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Quote:

Riiiiiiiight.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:58 PM

137 posts, read 100,986 times
Wildly inappropriate, IMO. She wasn't "playing" with her hair and certainly not in a flirtatious way. Tugging at the ends typically indicates boredom or uneasiness. Twirling the hair while smiling and giggling would mean flirting. You have to look at the context with body language, not some Men's Health rag article! But to say that to your boss just moved you into creeper territory as far as I'm concerned. ��

BTW, 99% of people who have attended college for more than 2 years have taken a psych class. It's best not to play armchair psychiatrist with a single undergraduate credit or a weekend seminar under your belt. Seriously dude, what were you thinking??

Last edited by AnnSmithJones; 11-20-2015 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-21-2015, 11:23 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,663,170 times
Quote:
Mods, if this does not belong, please move. But it's about flirting.

I'm at work today and was discussing something (work- related) with supervisor.
So as we're wrapping up our discussion, she's sitting behind her desk, playing with her hair - just lightly tugging at the strands. We concluded our talk, I turn to leave her office, and impulsively - I don't know what the hell possessed me to say this - I look at her and say, "Oh, incidentally...didn't you study Psychology in college?" She said yes. So I say, "Not to take this the wrong way, but the tugging at your hair when you're speaking with someone...that's a flirtatious gesture." She looked at me levelly without a word; I said to her, "I studied Psych and the findings of Freud as well as body language!" Think I may have floored her, but meant no harm.

Was I wrong?
Is this a troll post? If not, you really need to learn about filtering.
Pray that you get slapped by the common sense stick, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment