Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 11:08 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,278,062 times

Advertisements

How about a full on flushing of the cheeks and noticeable redness of the neck and upper chest area. As happened with a female coworker new to the company, Was it a sign of interest or just an allergy that week. Nobody will ever know for sure. But then came the slow movement of her hand toward mine while having a meeting about email marketing campaigns. I told her soon after that this is a professional relationship and no more. It is very flattering to get such interest, however things can get lead to trouble when the lady in question is married with kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 11:44 PM

3,428 posts, read 3,353,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
You take your study of body language a bit too literally. Yes, tugging on hair CAN be a flirtatious signal. It could also be a personal habit one has when he or she is deep in thought. It could also mean her head was itchy and she was avoiding scratching it around another person. Or you were making her want to rip her hair out and she was trying to controhil herself.

In any case, if I were your boss, I would take your comment as somewhat rude and certainly unnecessary. In fact, depending on the tone you used delivering your statement, I might assume you were flirting back. Were you?
It was an offhand statement. Not as if I was hitting on her. Again, everybody, I GOT IT! I'VE LEARNED MY LESSON! OKAY???

Old 10-29-2015, 11:49 PM

483 posts, read 692,851 times
This has been a funny thread. I needed the laughs. Thanks everybody.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:57 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,935,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Wrong. Just mindful of sexual harassment, and not tolerant of ignorant people like the OP, who yes, should have been fired..immediately.
I also hope you're not a manager. It's hard to fire an employee for stealing, destroying company property, or making lifelong enemies out of a valuable customer, so for *flirting*?

A one-sentence reprimand - "try to keep those kinds of thoughts to yourself" - is sufficient.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:06 AM

34,107 posts, read 17,172,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I also hope you're not a manager. It's hard to fire an employee for stealing, destroying company property, or making lifelong enemies out of a valuable customer, so for *flirting*?

A one-sentence reprimand - "try to keep those kinds of thoughts to yourself" - is sufficient.
Not hard at all. Employment at Will is law in 50 states. Newsflash: Short of union contract language, there is no requirement to even state a reason to terminate.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:11 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,314,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
It was an offhand statement. Not as if I was hitting on her. Again, everybody, I GOT IT! I'VE LEARNED MY LESSON! OKAY???
She wants you. Ignore them and go in for the kill.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:42 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,574,057 times
Your remark was so far out of line it can't even see the original line. Seriously, I'm surprised you haven't been reported for sexual harassment. That was extremely creepy.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:33 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,448,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Hey, you're the one who posted this thread, thinking it was funny. Maybe next time you'll think first.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:36 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,612,140 times
BTW, just an aside about Freud. I think he's been petty much debunked, when it comes to women. He claimed that women have penis envy because they want the organs themselves, seeing how they don't have anything. (Freud obviously didn't understand the female body.) He interpreted most dreams of women to have sexual meanings. He had some serious sex issues, apparently.

It's not surprising that he would interpret many ordinary movements of women to be sexually oriented. That's in keeping with his view of women. But he was wrong in that area.

I've also noticed throughout the years that many men view women in a way that's not objective. They see what they want to see, and often assume a woman is "smiling flirtatiously" at him, or making suggestive comments, or is interested in a relationship with him, when none of those things is true. You will find this with child molesters, too, as they reference a child giving him a "suggestive look," or "smiling flirtatiously" at him. I can't count the times that men have assumed I was interested in them, when I wasn't in the least. Nothing in my words or behavior implied that, yet that's what they saw or heard.

If the person someone is looking at is a sex object to that person, he tends to view that person in a sexual context, which is more often than not completely opposite to reality.

Implied in the OP's comments is the fact that he thinks she would be flirting with him. He is older, she is younger and a supervisor. It's not likely she has ever viewed him in a romantic or sexual way. Therefore, he should have known that in that instance, fiddling with her hair was not a flirtatious action.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:40 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,574,057 times
Unfortunately a great number of men think that if a woman so much as looks in their direction or smiles at them then they want in their pants, immediately, no matter where they are.

OP had a story going on in his head similar to penthouse forums and the boss was probably thinking about a deadline she had to meet and was stressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment