Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should high school kids be working while in high school?
Yes 109 76.76%
No 33 23.24%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 02:25 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,354,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I had a car because I saved up my money and bought one..... Any idea where that money came from (hint: go back and read some of my earlier posts)? It certainly wasn't my father who was struggling to rub two pennies together. I was burned out at times. As I said before, it was never easy. But nothing worth having is. I learned to meet tough deadlines, how to prioritize my time, how to plan, how to be self sufficient, and how to tough it out when things got rough. More importantly, I learned that regardless of what is going on, I don't have to fail. For me, that laid the foundation of a work ethic that I carried into college, and into the real world. Because of that I never see a failure as a failure. It's merely a learning curve that I have to overcome. Life feels easier for me now that all of that is out of the way. But you can bet I remember every minute of it and respect what I went through to get here. It keeps me from becoming complacent. A lot of very successful people have a similar mindset. I hope to one day join them.

You have to make it work. If you need it bad enough (or want it bad enough) it works. The mentality of "I can't work because I need to go to football practice" or "I won't have any time to spend with my friends" is why so many (not all) younger folks aren't productive any longer.
Your quite the hard worker Lambert.
I admire your ambitions.
I think people like you are few and far but Im glad you pulled it off.
That would be very hard for a lot of people since most of us prefer a comfy ride or like a sense of balanced life style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 02:25 PM

5,620 posts, read 5,977,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
I have taught high school since the 90's and no way could a student today spend just an hour on homework and excel in higher-level classes.
I knew a few but they were also getting 2300s on the SAT (back in ~09) or 35+ on the ACT. Even AP Calc BC and Physics C weren't challenging enough for them. Last I checked one of them was in graduate school at Princeton for math, plenty of brain power. For me I aced those classes but it took a LOT more work. Generally a few hours every night, often more. Of course, going to college suddenly made high school look easy but with time I got used to it.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:30 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,189,336 times
I worked some in high school so I could pay for the things my mom refused to pay for: clothes, gas, any food outside of the meals my mom served, etc. I don't think I gained much out of the experience besides the extra money at the time. I still got good grades and did sports and other things, so I don't think I lost anything, either.

I had a few other menial jobs after high school so its not like I would have missed out on that kinda job experience altogether had I not worked in high school. To be honest I think my mom was unnecessarily hard on me. I was a good kid, I didn't need financial restrictions to motivate me. She was much easier on my younger brothers. I think she was a little bitter toward me because her family growing up had much less than we did. In turn, I felt the weight of the world on my shoulders, like I always have to prove my worth to her. I still feel that way. I wouldn't dare ask her for a dime.

I'm sure it depends on the kid and the situation...there are so many variables to consider.

Last edited by brocco; 07-13-2016 at 02:47 PM..

Old 07-13-2016, 02:34 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,354,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
You can work and maintain high academic marks. I did it, and so did many others I know. It's not that difficult to do. It just requires prioritizing your time well. (Which is subsequently another lesson that working through school teaches)
Time Management is definitely important some are good at it while others just never learn
But I heard somewhere that I think if your grades start dropping, they don't let you work anymore or something like that?
Last I heard you needed a work permit to work if you were under 18.
So say if you wanted to work at like Hot Topic or Mcdonalds you needed to provided a work permit to your employer and have them sign it as well as your parents?

and also since the recessions do kids have a harder time being hired for like the summer or school year, Im curious to know since my younger brother may want a job during the summer for next year?
Im not sure if its the same now or as it was back in the 90's.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:42 PM

285 posts, read 264,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Time Management is definitely important some are good at it while others just never learn
But I heard somewhere that I think if your grades start dropping, they don't let you work anymore or something like that?
Last I heard you needed a work permit to work if you were under 18.
So say if you wanted to work at like Hot Topic or Mcdonalds you needed to provided a work permit to your employer and have them sign it as well as your parents?

and also since the recessions do kids have a harder time being hired for like the summer or school year, Im curious to know since my younger brother may want a job during the summer for next year?
Harder because employers usually want people who can legally work more hours and not have to follow as many restrictions. For me, I had to have my mom sign off saying I can work.

Yes with the grades, some places fire you if grades start slipping.

And to the guy who said he had the same classes, no you did not. It's 2016, not 1990 (or whenever you went to class). What I did as a sophomore, you did as a senior. My mom and dad couldn't even help me freshman year. Didn't understand what they were staring at and why I, and I quote them, "had homework we got in college and youre still in high school". Standards are very different. Saying you had the same is a such a lie, it made me laugh.

Even my brother, who is going to be a sophomore, is getting some work I got my senior year.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:42 PM

5,620 posts, read 5,977,948 times
Quote:
In the late 00s when I was in high school, GA teen unemployment was around 33%. I only got a job working at my mom's office. I applied everywhere near me and there was nothing. Even coming back during break for college there was nothing so I worked at my mom's again, just a different office. Wasn't until I actually had a bachelors that I could get a (temporary) job not at my mom's office. The problem for me wasn't so much there weren't a lot of jobs, there were just too many students. 3.5 K students in my high school, 3+K in the high school to the east and there just weren't enough to go around. I also notice a LOT of older workers at the stores and fast food places around me now. The poor economy plus employers looking for more stable workers (available at all times, year round) has locked out a lot of high schoolers.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:50 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,730,921 times
If I were an employer, I wouldn't hire someone who just graduated from college, but had never worked a paid job. I wouldn't care how high their GPA was or how great they supposedly were (or thought they were). I just wouldn't hire them. I'd prefer to hire someone from a less advantaged background who had to learn early about work ethic.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:51 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,719,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTK View Post
Harder because employers usually want people who can legally work more hours and not have to follow as many restrictions. For me, I had to have my mom sign off saying I can work.

Yes with the grades, some places fire you if grades start slipping.

And to the guy who said he had the same classes, no you did not. It's 2016, not 1990 (or whenever you went to class). What I did as a sophomore, you did as a senior. My mom and dad couldn't even help me freshman year. Didn't understand what they were staring at and why I, and I quote them, "had homework we got in college and youre still in high school". Standards are very different. Saying you had the same is a such a lie, it made me laugh.

Even my brother, who is going to be a sophomore, is getting some work I got my senior year.

You're welcome to think what you'd like. (I noticed you quickly avoided the inflation discussion.) I have kids in school now and two nieces in high school that I tutor so I'm not as far removed as you'd like to think I am.

I graduated in 2000 btw.... so not as much of a dinosaur as you want to imply.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:52 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,719,995 times
Quote:
Your quite the hard worker Lambert.
I admire your ambitions.
I think people like you are few and far but Im glad you pulled it off.
That would be very hard for a lot of people since most of us prefer a comfy ride or like a sense of balanced life style.

Thank you... but my posts aren't to brag on work ethic. It's more to show that it can be done for those who have the drive.... whether that drive stems from necessity or desire the end results are the same.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:52 PM

285 posts, read 264,229 times
Honest to god for those who graduated in the late 90s (before the year 2000 to be honest), do you have any idea what the coursework now looks like? Or are you gauging everything about education on what you went through, not exactly realizing things aren't even remotely the same, and telling kids to just pick it up? It's not easy and only getting harder and that's a fact, the very argument saying "when I was in school" knowing damn well you graduated a LONG time ago, is ridiculous. Even buying houses has significantly changed, in terms of costs, and that's something we agree on but why not how education has clearly changed?

Kids today aren't complaining over nothing if you know what we have to bring home daily. Until you do, I don't think you can appropriately and accurately determine our issues based on yours 10+ years ago.

A small example would be my grandmother and all my grand aunts and uncles who thought I was simply not trying to be social with the family, refusing coming over so I could do homework, and complaining. Until I showed them my homework, they instantly backed off. Thought I was AP and no, just below average and losing motivation.

Motivation because I was having a significant amount of problems during my jr high and high school years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment