Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2016, 03:54 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,815,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Why should I?
I get paid the same at the end of the day weather I do more or less work so why should I right?
just dont make a mistake and go “above y beyond” in case of violating a policy, i learned from that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 06:09 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,806,083 times
I just read in an important magazine that business and managers in all fields read. The article is informative of the new attitude in business management from IT to manufacturing.

Quit looking for that 1 in a million super star. Reason, they will be poached by someone else.

Instead, fire the inadequate workers. Fire those that only do what they absolutely have to do. Fire the ones that waste your time on the Internet and cell phones. Fire the ones that stand around talking all the time. Replace them with the experienced worker in that field, that wants to do a good job, and goes beyond doing only the minimum.

They say mangers are getting tired, not getting their money's worth with slack off attitude so many workers have today.

This is reported as the exact reason, that company after company is doing away with cubicles and going back to open office where a manager or one that reports to the manager sits to the rear of the group keeping tabs on the work force. Many workers call it micromanaging, but management has come to the conclusion that is needs to go this route, to get the workforce back to doing their jobs, and working a full day they are paid for.

One reason that wages have not risen much, is management has felt they were paying all the typical workers have been worth. They are tired of having workers like the OP, and are looking for good solid workers to get the job done right. Management is starting to take charge of the workplace again, and feel if workers do not have enough to keep them busy, then get rid of the worst slackers and the work will still be done.

Only when they get control back in the workplace will it be worth paying higher wages, and benefits. Each company has their own formula on how much of the gross income can go to salaries and benefits. When the income increases, they have the money available for raises and better benefits. And one way to increase the amount of money available for wage and benefit increases, is to get rid of the slackers, and replace them with worker who are willing to work and they will be able to reduce the number of workers needed, and the money can be allocated to increased wages and benefits for those willing to work.

Times are changing, and companies that have followed this path are seeing the results and they are the ones increasing wages and benefits. Others have seen how the changes have been a big benefit to the companies that have gone this route. We keep seeing posts that workers complain that starting in November or January their company will be going to open offices and doing away with cubicles, as one example.

Times are changing and those people that have been wasting time on Internet, etc., will soon be working under a different environment than they have been working under.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:28 PM

7,977 posts, read 5,007,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
I just read in an important magazine that business and managers in all fields read. The article is informative of the new attitude in business management from IT to manufacturing.

Quit looking for that 1 in a million super star. Reason, they will be poached by someone else.

Instead, fire the inadequate workers. Fire those that only do what they absolutely have to do. Fire the ones that waste your time on the Internet and cell phones. Fire the ones that stand around talking all the time. Replace them with the experienced worker in that field, that wants to do a good job, and goes beyond doing only the minimum.

They say mangers are getting tired, not getting their money's worth with slack off attitude so many workers have today.

This is reported as the exact reason, that company after company is doing away with cubicles and going back to open office where a manager or one that reports to the manager sits to the rear of the group keeping tabs on the work force. Many workers call it micromanaging, but management has come to the conclusion that is needs to go this route, to get the workforce back to doing their jobs, and working a full day they are paid for.

One reason that wages have not risen much, is management has felt they were paying all the typical workers have been worth. They are tired of having workers like the OP, and are looking for good solid workers to get the job done right. Management is starting to take charge of the workplace again, and feel if workers do not have enough to keep them busy, then get rid of the worst slackers and the work will still be done.

Only when they get control back in the workplace will it be worth paying higher wages, and benefits. Each company has their own formula on how much of the gross income can go to salaries and benefits. When the income increases, they have the money available for raises and better benefits. And one way to increase the amount of money available for wage and benefit increases, is to get rid of the slackers, and replace them with worker who are willing to work and they will be able to reduce the number of workers needed, and the money can be allocated to increased wages and benefits for those willing to work.

Times are changing, and companies that have followed this path are seeing the results and they are the ones increasing wages and benefits. Others have seen how the changes have been a big benefit to the companies that have gone this route. We keep seeing posts that workers complain that starting in November or January their company will be going to open offices and doing away with cubicles, as one example.

Times are changing and those people that have been wasting time on Internet, etc., will soon be working under a different environment than they have been working under.
I hope alot of this applies to many of the useless idiots at the top then who do only god knows what all day long and run companies into the ground

Old 08-29-2016, 07:06 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,138,509 times
Quote:

They are not being paid for a full day that is a big part of the problem, they are taking the jobs out of desperation because there are an abundance of low pay jobs but very few good jobs. Doing open office plans wont keep people off their phones or the internet. Sure you could literally have IT block the internet and they will just use their phones, people are not paid enough to care and a lot of jobs now days have no sense of pride. If people are cogs in a machine you should expect burn out and for people to have to take VERY frequent breaks. You could fire everyone but then you will have really high turn around which is expensive plus UI law suits (as I would assume you are of the mind set that every company should fight UI tooth and nail and when you do that the odds are you will eventually face a very expensive law suit after doing that long enough).

You will get high quality back in the work force when you start paying more and offer intellectually engaging and rewarding work. If you are compelling people to write tedious mundane reports or are managing a call center then expect people to have to take frequent breaks to deal with the boring monotonous work no matter what the pay is.

The only reason companies are able to still have a lot of leverage is because there are still quite a few 50 something's that have not retired yet. Just wait until all you have to choose from is millenials and gen X. They wont tolerate draconian work atmospheres so that your board can buy an extra yacht.

Sure if I spend 15 min on the internet looking up something maybe only loosely work related that's time and money but how much money exactly ... compared to profits?

Companies have lost all credibility because they post record profits in the billions and treat rank and file employees like slaves, don't expect cooperation and as the older generation start retiring (or dying) there will be hell to pay in reduced national GDP because NO ONE will care other than the greedy top 1% who want to pay slave wages.

Now its true there are some people who are just plain lazy but they are easy to weed out, the issue now is companies are acting in ways to disincentive people. Very few people are motived by the pay rates that are abundant out there right now and very few people can perform dry monotonus work for hours on end with no breaks.

Maybe I just better control who I have around me but I have never met these ultra lazy people, only seen them portrayed in sitcoms which we all know perfectly reflects reality lol.

I have often times found that its never the jobs themselves that suck its the people or the bosses that take things to extremes with all the drama they create.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:12 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,684,788 times
Well, I don't know about anyone else, but had I never gone above and beyond my duties, I'd probably still be a dishwasher in some greasy Spoon in South Georgia, ot East Texas. At my age, that would probably suck.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:30 PM

105 posts, read 105,732 times
Quote:

The people who are working the hardest are the lowly employee. I believe most of the people in charge don't know how to do their jobs at managing. I have seen more people promoted based on their personalty than their actual work or seniority.

At my current job, I was literally thrown in a position I had no knowledge of and no one to train me. You know who I blame? My manager. And what is my manager like? All he does all day is talk on his phone or shoot the breeze with the president and wanders in out of the office all day.

So blaming the lowbie employees is a BS excuse. It is the people in charge, who have to know how to manage people. Their the ones in control, but they think control is micromanaging with open office space and squeezing their employee's paycheck. If there is no incentive, for example, better pay, than what is the point of an employee striving to do better? If there is no room for advancement, then why should they bust their butts?

Old 08-29-2016, 07:40 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,360,645 times
heck there are even no bonuses when you exceed productivity/micromanagement standards. the bosses look good, but that certainly doesn't trickle down to the rank and file.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:55 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,964,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Why should I?
I get paid the same at the end of the day weather I do more or less work so why should I right?
What are your life goals? Professional goals?

Old 08-29-2016, 08:32 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,589,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
What are your life goals? Professional goals?
Posting the same question on the internet every few weeks, mostly.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:13 PM

233 posts, read 231,528 times
Go the extra mile at your current work, not because you're are loyal to your firm or your boss, but to yourself.

If you want to "graduate" or move up to the next level, you have to prove, again not just to your company, but most importantly to yourself that you are ready to do so.

Work as if you are already a manager in your mind, by taking on leadership roles or accepting more challenging assignments that are a notch or two above your current level. If you are a junior associate, produce quality work that equals or better yet surpasses that of senior analysts.

Once you have promoted yourself, both in your own mind and by your own actions at work, your compensation will inevitably follow suit in no time. Your current job is merely your training ground for your next -bigger and better- gig. Yes, it takes going above and beyond what your current job duties entail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment