Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2016, 07:08 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,962,839 times

Advertisements

In college, I started applying for jobs in September of my senior year, had a job interview in November and took a position in January starting in July. That last semester was like the best of my life. I knew that as long as I passed (they put it as a condition in the employment) that I was "guaranteed".

But I also remember all the times my friends were out partying and I was prepping for an interview. I sacrificed much early on in life so I could have a great life now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Unfortunately the gf's are often pregnant by the time they figure that out.
Then the gf's try to raise the kid on their own and finally find a real man that has a good job and can help support them when they mature.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:25 PM

144 posts, read 115,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
In college, I started applying for jobs in September of my senior year, had a job interview in November and took a position in January starting in July. That last semester was like the best of my life. I knew that as long as I passed (they put it as a condition in the employment) that I was "guaranteed".

But I also remember all the times my friends were out partying and I was prepping for an interview. I sacrificed much early on in life so I could have a great life now.
What did you sacrifice?

Old 09-29-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgoats4sale View Post
What did you sacrifice?
* Social life, while others were out partying, drinking, and getting laid a lot of times I was studying or working
* Material possessions, I worked hard to pay off my loans as quickly as possible and use whatever cash I earned working to minimize student loan debt, even though I went to a costly prestigious university. So I had very inexpensive clothing and ate at the mess halls at school, rarely going out to dinner. I think that's why I enjoy going out to dinner so much now.
* Friends/family, I went across the country to a school far from friends and family, I had to start over.

I had to work so hard for all I got through blood, sweat, and tears. No doubt very few people could have done what I did, so I deserve everything I've earned...

Old 09-29-2016, 08:39 PM

144 posts, read 115,621 times
Quote:
* Social life, while others were out partying, drinking, and getting laid a lot of times I was studying or working
* Material possessions, I worked hard to pay off my loans as quickly as possible and use whatever cash I earned working to minimize student loan debt, even though I went to a costly prestigious university. So I had very inexpensive clothing and ate at the mess halls at school, rarely going out to dinner. I think that's why I enjoy going out to dinner so much now.
* Friends/family, I went across the country to a school far from friends and family, I had to start over.

I had to work so hard for all I got through blood, sweat, and tears. No doubt very few people could have done what I did, so I deserve everything I've earned...
I have not had the fortune to afford college, yet, I'm still saving up.

I have sacrificed as well, soon after high school, I was accepted into many of the colleges I applied for, due to my grades. However they all wanted that 47,000 check that I could not write. I went straight into working, attempting to save some money. I worked 16 hour days sometimes. Unfortunately I was rarely paid in full due to greedy real estate developers. No time for partying or getting laid. No money for material possessions.

You were handed an education. In the form of student loans. On a silver platter. You sat in a room while someone taught you and your peers. I'm stuck by myself scavenging up any information I can find, to teach my self. I truly believe you don't even understand how privileged you are to have eaten at the "mess halls"

Old 09-29-2016, 09:09 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,200,696 times
Quote:

That's the thing, today you can do all the hard work and make all the sacrifices, but since opportunities are so slim and employers are so picky you can end up with nothing for all your work. Just because someone didn't get a job doesn't mean they sat around and did nothing. So much has changed since this last recession. It basically broke the job market and changed paradigms when it comes to hiring.

Old 09-30-2016, 12:23 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,824,088 times
Quote:
What is your plan when your parents get too old to take care of you or worse?
I'm getting close to that point I'm thinking. My plan was to get a job at the pet store (I was determined to get this job since I can literally walk to it. I tried several times) resort or a computer store. It doesn't matter. Any of those three options will do. Maybe then go back to school if I have to and get internship at the same time so I can eventually be a designer.

Plans are useless when people don't want you. I can't control what people do so what's the point? As a result my decisions never work out..doesn't help that I'm a bad decision maker. Thinking so much about my future is what stressed my stomach out and gave me gastritis. I know it was because as I was continuing to struggle to find work I started noticing symptoms. I also tried planning to keep my job coach and tell them they are not being fair to me. They weren't having it. I could literally die of stomach cancer and they'd say "oh well now I don't have to help her"

I guess if it reaches a crucial point, I'll have to go on disability. I actually kept thinking of that but I'm not one to ask for things anyway.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:18 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,121,468 times
It's tough out there. I gotta kee my head up. I don't play video games, but I could understand why some would.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:02 AM

6,227 posts, read 6,950,966 times
We're reaching a point in history and technological development that not every person will have to work, or not work as many hours as in the past. It's very hard for some people to accept this.

There is a much slimmed margin of work that pays a living wage today. It does not surprise me that some would just chose to live off the dole.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:40 AM

22,125 posts, read 13,258,672 times
As long as the dole is so readily available, right. So it shouldn't be. It's also apparently really easy to steal and rob, which is another increasingly popular means of support! Then there's the tried-and-true drug dealing for supplemental income, since there will be so many idle hours to fill during the empty days and welfare plus additional benefits isn't quite enough. I'm telling you: workfare. They can live in barracks and eat in a common dining room (not junk or fast food, either) while on it. No one will starve or go homeless. Or be bored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment