Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2016, 03:22 PM

7,977 posts, read 5,019,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith5a View Post
Economy sucks. Most jobs out there are paying $11 an hour "to start". Why bother even going to work anymore? After paying gas and all kinds of taxes, you're barely breaking even. I don't blame more people for not wanting to work. Work is no longer very profitable.
Great point. Back if the day $11/hour went pretty far. Today forget it. You're bet off with a part time job because you said you probably even be breaking even with all the bills today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 03:36 PM

16,793 posts, read 8,781,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
With the way the workplace is in the private sector today, playing video games sounds more fun. The workplace completely sucks today. Its soul draining and pretty much every place is completely mismanaged.

Work used to be an environment people didn't mind going into before
When you mentioned soul draining, it reminded me of the movie Office Space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKYivs6ZLZk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
Only for the depressed negative Nancy's
Well for some sure, but who wants to deal with office life that requires you to walk on eggs, worried that anything you might say or think will offend someone.
Saying "nice outfit Janice" can be sexual harassment. Saying "Fred has his act together on the project" can cause a punitive fine because Fred identifies as a woman, and must be referred to in the feminine.

This does not mean I approve of slackers or pajama boys, but dealing with liberal losers who are trying to socially engineer the workplace can be challenging.
That, and if you are a can do person, but there is so much bureaucratic BS that you cant do XYZ because it would step on someones toes really squeezes my adrenals.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:02 PM

35,256 posts, read 31,618,119 times
Quote:
Great point. Back if the day $11/hour went pretty far. Today forget it. You're bet off with a part time job because you said you probably even be breaking even with all the bills today
YOud probably lose your subsidies too

Old 09-26-2016, 05:23 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,768,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith5a View Post
Economy sucks. Most jobs out there are paying $11 an hour "to start". Why bother even going to work anymore? After paying gas and all kinds of taxes, you're barely breaking even. I don't blame more people for not wanting to work. Work is no longer very profitable.
Plenty of blue collar jobs start at $11 an hour, but they also move up the pay quickly to where a guy can be making $15 an hour within a year, and $20 an hour within 2 years, but you have to work and learn. That is what people do not understand, for blue collar jobs your school is working for peanuts while you do the crap nobody wants to do, but for white collar jobs you pay through the nose and hope you have a marketable skill that someone will hire you for. Personally I made more before going back to school, and that is with having a very marketable skill. I have told numerous people that if I had to do it all over again I would have went the blue collar way and built my own business so I did not have to work all that hard by now.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:59 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,250,103 times
Quote:
I can tell you are very young and don't know what you speak of, because those of us from "back in the day" are laughing at your rosy hindsight (to years you never lived). Like us 90s graduates supporting a family of 4 right out of high school, LMAO, that's funny and could only be said by someone who wasn't there!

Old 09-26-2016, 08:01 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,908,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I can tell you are very young and don't know what you speak of, because those of us from "back in the day" are laughing at your rosy hindsight (to years you never lived). Like us 90s graduates supporting a family of 4 right out of high school, LMAO, that's funny and could only be said by someone who wasn't there!

1. Agreed

2. It appears that some young people would rather cop an attitude instead of going out and looking for work....work which might be minimum wage and require them to work their way up.

3. A paycheck is a paycheck, and it beats sitting around, perched on the computer, crabbing about how much money they're not making. If there's anything wrong with that picture it's that not working is more comfortable than it should be. Hunger can be a strong motivator.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:04 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,494,512 times
If someone is willing to support someone who is sitting around playing video games, these guys have No incentive to do anything more.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:18 PM

144 posts, read 115,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Isn't TN's minimum wage 7.25? I know its lower for servers but pretty sure its 7.25 anyone else.

Anyway, yea, its tough, trust me, I know. But what point is it to not find a job at all?
It is 7.25. I am factoring in taxes and withholding. I just took off 15% (how much I get to put in the bank) but they actually take out about 19%

I actually I have a job, I hate it. Entry level retail in which people regularly defecate on the floor. I am extremely lucky and fortunate to have such an opportunity!

What point is it to not find a job at all? There are no jobs. My choices are clean up your piles of xxxx or collect government benefits. Someone said that welfare programs can bring in 850+ a month. Much more than I make now.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:58 PM

38,931 posts, read 24,027,324 times
I think it is their outlet for low wage jobs, unemployment, underemployment and/or horrible bosses, co-workers and customers. I know it is for me sometimes.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:06 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,595,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think it is their outlet for low wage jobs, unemployment, underemployment and/or horrible bosses, co-workers and customers. I know it is for me sometimes.
We get that, it is still unproductive which is the problem. It does nothing to change their situation

It's laziness and they gave up on themselves and blame everyone else. It's what kids do, adults get out of bed and go get things done
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment