Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2016, 05:55 AM

8,444 posts, read 4,780,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
Playing video games doesn't pay the rent or attract a wife.
They should become software programmers and get paid while they
solve fun problems.
Who says they want a wife? Most of them have probably heard the horror stories of what a wife and the family courts can do to you if she gets bored and decides to leave you. And who says the women in their age group want to be wives? Many of them are waiting til the last minute(biologically speaking) to try to settle down and have a husband and kids nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 06:17 AM

35,256 posts, read 31,612,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Who says they want a wife? Most of them have probably heard the horror stories of what a wife and the family courts can do to you if she gets bored and decides to leave you. And who says the women in their age group want to be wives? Many of them are waiting til the last minute(biologically speaking) to try to settle down and have a husband and kids nowadays.
I've had numerous relationships but only thought I might get married twice. I don't want kids, so that's a deal breaker for a lot of women, and I'd also prefer that my partner didn't have kids, so that rules out most of the around 30 single crowd here. That leaves me with like the under 25 college crowd, but at 30 most of those girls won't give me a second look.

Most of my peers who got married ended up divorced and both the man and woman ended up broke because neither makes enough to run a household independently.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:48 AM

11,080 posts, read 12,554,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
With the way the workplace is in the private sector today, playing video games sounds more fun. The workplace completely sucks today. Its soul draining and pretty much every place is completely mismanaged.

Work used to be an environment people didn't mind going into before
Only in the private sector?

I guess public sector jobs are often basically the same thing as video games. Why do those oppressive private employers keep insisting that employees do work?

Old 09-26-2016, 07:13 AM

6,227 posts, read 6,950,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
It's a shame what society has become. No wonder the west is in decline.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:30 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,767,964 times
Quote:
Kids in the 90s coming out of high school could support a family of 3-4 with a high school education. They could get good paying jobs right out of high school and work their way up to good paying management positions within a few years. They could quit their job and within the week could find a better job. Good luck with that today. College graduates are waiting months sometimes even a year to just land a job that they will probably be under qualified for. Sure there are still blue collar jobs left in the country (Very few) but most aren't unionized jobs (As the companies have done away with them) which in turn means no rights for the workers, terrible pay.

Everything about the workforce today has been negatively impacted.

1. Companies operating on skeleton crews (Despite making record profits). Instead of hiring and getting properly staffed and creating job openings.
2. Wages either stagnating or declining despite higher costs of living over the past 25-30 years
3. Destruction of unions and workers rights
4. Greedier and less qualified people in positions of power negatively impacting EVERY facet of the workplace. (And what do you know. Its not the poor managers who made the terrible decisions that gets the company in the debacles they are in that get let go. Its the workers who didn't directly negatively impact the business)
5. People are now more educated and only saddled with a bunch of debt they can't pay off because there are very few good paying jobs left
Nothing today is better than before in the workplace. Absolutely NOTHING.

Young adults may be less motivated today because they have EVERY right to be. Look at this crumbling country, look at the crumbling infrastructure of both education and the workplace. Its not the young adults that need to be blamed. The boomers who have destroyed this nation are the ones to blame. From the company leaders to the politicians. Everything is their fault. Not the kids who did everything right (Went and got an education, put the effort in, only to realize there is nothing out there for them when they graduate)
How do you know what things were like in the 1980s-1990s? You were not old enough to know anything is going on. Automation hit in the 1980s, in my area the oil field crashed in the early 1980s and the early 1990s, it was not easy and jobs were hard to come by. People who had been with companies for decades were getting laid off and competing with kids for anything in many areas of the country. People were moving from towns they had spent their whole life in, and people sacrificed for their family and careers. There was no such thing as work/life balance, generation X created it after watching our parents work 60 hour weeks for years only to get laid off so a machine could replace them.

Today there are plenty of jobs, and they pay well after you work there for a year or two, it was that way when I came out of school in the 1990s as well, but we were not allowed to live at home until we found something that paid what we wanted and used our degrees. We took whatever job we could find.

I have worked with hundreds of small business owners in the trades, they all complain about not being able to find dependable help. People in their 20s no longer want to work that hard, despite the fact that within 2 years they would be making well above the median wage. It is not just in Colorado either, I have talked to business owners across the country, I have read articles and studies from across the country, the problem is not lack of jobs, it is that all these kids are being over educated and have now decided they are too good for blue collar work, despite that being where the jobs are and where the most money is now if you are not in IT.

I meet people that have graduated college within the last decade, going back to the early parts of the recession, and they are very successful, but they had to move to decent job markets, work hard, deal with living on a very tight budget, just to get their chance and get a head. It has not changed much since the 1990s, except that parents have no enabled their children to play the poor me game and allow them to stay in the basement as long as they wish.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
There are also people who love to do honest work, and have quit very shady jobs. Sales gets a bad rep, but at worst, you have stuff like selling life insurance in a predatory manner where you know nobody needs it. Or recruiting for a for-profit-school, and recruiting soldiers who are brain dead and recovering from combat injuries, or poor people and using "pain points" to guilt them going into a non-accredited school.

Even on the more mellow side, sales isn't as good now with online commerce, and how the internet provides knowledge, which is something sales folks do NOT want their buyers to be informed.
Actually most good sales people have not problem with their buyers being informed, I have always loved it as it usually means I do not have to educate them, just convince them the value is worth the money they need to spend to have it.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
All degree holders, a word to the wise, unless you have a professional degree (law, medical, accounting, teaching) and/or are going for a degree in your field, LEAVE YOUR DEGREE OFF YOUR RESUMÉ/APPLICATION.

I had a hell of a time even getting interviews until I pretended to be as dull and anti-intellectual as the hiring employee.
Could be your attitude was showing? Some of the most interesting and smart people I have ever met did not spend a single day in college, but you have to actually sit down and talk to them and listen to what they have to say and their stories. The reason you have to leave your degree off is not because employers are anti-intellectual, it is due to the fact that they have hired college grads that have this attitude that they are smarter than the guy they work for, and too good for the work. The question I always ask is if you are smarter than them, and too good for the work, why do you want to work for someone you are superior too especially doing work you are too good for? Or is it that you have a false sense of believing you are better than you are, and you should feel lucky that the person you are working for was smart enough to get to a position where they could give you a job.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:25 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,502,162 times
Quote:
The workplace was better before. Back when you could be a high school graduate and support a family. You could jump into a high paying gig at a company making a TON of money right out of college.
You are truly delusional.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:39 AM

16,287 posts, read 32,453,833 times
Quote:
With the way the workplace is in the private sector today, playing video games sounds more fun. The workplace completely sucks today. Its soul draining and pretty much every place is completely mismanaged.

Work used to be an environment people didn't mind going into before
I love my job and hope to be here for many years to come.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:41 AM

1,773 posts, read 1,709,241 times
I would do it if I could actually get away with it. I have enough money saved up financially where I could hold out for 18 to 20 months with no other income. After that, though, the fun would be over and reality would set in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment