Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2016, 09:18 PM

38,931 posts, read 24,025,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
We get that, it is still unproductive which is the problem. It does nothing to change their situation

It's laziness and they gave up on themselves and blame everyone else. It's what kids do, adults get out of bed and go get things done
I know "adults" that just complain rather than be an agent of change. And I'm not talking Millennials here. They may not play Xbox or Playstation, but they just give up and blame others... Everyone has that loser brother/sister, aunt/uncle or cousin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 09:43 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,200,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
We get that, it is still unproductive which is the problem. It does nothing to change their situation

It's laziness and they gave up on themselves and blame everyone else. It's what kids do, adults get out of bed and go get things done
Plenty of people with mental issues, such as depression, who aren't productive are adults.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:57 PM

5,488 posts, read 4,503,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
I have worked with hundreds of small business owners in the trades, they all complain about not being able to find dependable help. People in their 20s no longer want to work that hard, despite the fact that within 2 years they would be making well above the median wage. It is not just in Colorado either, I have talked to business owners across the country, I have read articles and studies from across the country, the problem is not lack of jobs, it is that all these kids are being over educated and have now decided they are too good for blue collar work, despite that being where the jobs are and where the most money is now if you are not in IT.
I've definitely met folks who were less than ambitious, or in the other extreme, aiming too high.

However, you gotta admit that when someone gets a law degree, physical science, something medical related, computers, engineering, etc., and then has to take a blue collar job like plumbing, carpentry, road construction... it goes against all of the good planning and hard work that folks at C-D adore (as opposed to the people who never bothered to better themselves in the first place). Plus, being in a higher salary bracket doesn't automatically mean they'll be able to do "lesser work". There's no correlation that mental toughness means you can do physical labor. Doesn't mean those folks are qualified for such work either. It's great that you can do stuff like nursing, and know the regulations behind such work, but that doesn't put you ahead of the other applicant who's done work on homes before, or knows her way around lumber.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:14 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,611,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
With the way the workplace is in the private sector today, playing video games sounds more fun. The workplace completely sucks today. Its soul draining and pretty much every place is completely mismanaged.

Work used to be an environment people didn't mind going into before
What kind of made-up fantasy dreamworld are you talking about?
You mean when kids were working dangerous jobs at 10 and 11? When employer-hired thugs would beat and shoot people trying to strike for basic wages? Like when before there was any vacation period, let alone paid vacation? When people worked from dawn until sunset - and then later when the electric light was invented.

yea it was great before.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:01 AM

3,522 posts, read 7,812,548 times
I'll have to admit the job market is a tough place. And it's true, you could break your butt every day, work all the overtime you can, hustle you butt off and come out no farther ahead then the sorry sap that sits on his butt all day and plays video games.... but the chances of making a better life for yourself are far greater than those that do not try.

I understand the allure of video games, I once took a week off of work and played Everquest 14 hours a day for my entire vacation. But I've never let it get in the way of my job. Never did I call out sick to play video games or stay up so late that I couldn't get wake up the next day for work. Video games is an escape, it's really no different then drinking alcohol or taking drugs to escape. True video games aren't as destructive on your body as drugs, but they do not provide benefits to you either.

Personally I don't care if you waste your life playing video games, when your parents your living with die in the future, you'll end up on the street picking through trash to try to survive and you'll have no one to blame but yourself. Women are not attracted to unemployed bums and those that are eventually get fed up with your lazy BS and kick you to the curb.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:55 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,469,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnerthonil View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...m-for-america/

Very interesting article. One thing I wonder though is why it seems primarily a problem for men and why it seems to be something men are much more likely to fall into than women. Thoughts?
Most western men have better spatial acuity* than most western women. This is based on something I read on the BBC eons ago. There was also an online test, and I totally failed it. Probably from when they used to have to hunt. They are probably just better at video games than we are.

That is a shame. Video games are a colossal waste of time, and it seems that a cool skill like that can be used for something that produces more valuable results. Maybe using a forklift?

* I'm not sure if spatial acuity is the right term, but they are better at seeing 3-d shapes as they move and rotate in space.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:44 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,118,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
With the way the workplace is in the private sector today, playing video games sounds more fun. The workplace completely sucks today. Its soul draining and pretty much every place is completely mismanaged.
Anyone who would choose to be unemployed so they could play video games rather than seek gainful employment is nothing short of a total loser, IMHO. Good luck getting a GF with an apathetic attitude like that.

Old 09-27-2016, 02:19 PM

1,109 posts, read 903,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Very strange. When I was 22 I was on fire for work, production and busting butt and knocking down paychecks with the rest of the guys...Now? Scares me to think we may soon have people doing very little and getting a check from thr state or Fed govt.
Gamers represent a segment of the population that will not be working due to middle class jobs being lost offshore. Think of them doing their patriotic duty by not applying for a job that some more worthy person will get. Think of Gamers as the cost of doing business for NAFTA and the Pacific Treaty (I forget what it is called). It sounds Orwellian, but maybe we have reached the stage in society, where some young men are sacrificed (so to speak) to achieve society's goals. No one should be surprised by this article (I was not), but it saddens me all the same....

Old 09-27-2016, 05:29 PM

35,256 posts, read 31,612,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Anyone who would choose to be unemployed so they could play video games rather than seek gainful employment is nothing short of a total loser, IMHO. Good luck getting a GF with an apathetic attitude like that.
I've never known anyone even close to a situation like this.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:33 PM

1,200 posts, read 2,056,618 times
Games, I suppose, are a way to forget your problems, like alcohol or drugs. We tried doing a story on video game obsession last year, but could only find one person who said his inability to stop playing video games affected his work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment