Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2016, 09:24 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,788,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
What's wrong with a bit of moderation? Maybe slightly higher prices, slightly lower than "king's ransom" wages?
Slightly? Compare a Speed Queen Washer/Dryer to a Whatever with the same specs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 09:44 AM

42,867 posts, read 26,350,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Take a look at Union wages in the construction sector and look for a project. You'll actually see a long time span between inception and construction mainly due to those high wages. Companies that don't have to deal with unions will usually have their projects start much earlier by bringing in construction crews from other states.
Unless you can provide some source material for that it is very anecdotal evidence, but isn't the real question Instead of insisting that a carpenter is being paid too much, why aren't we asking WHY employers in other sectors aren't paying more? This is nothing but a race to the bottom with people hating on carpenters, or cops or nurses because they still make a living wage while they don't.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBeachBum View Post
To go to show how firms need to adapt look at CVS the store you mentioned.
Back in the 1960s there was a shoe store chain called Thom McAn that had 1,400 stores. Remember back to school shopping for Catholic School, girls Easter shoes, Mom wore dress shoes with pearls to go shopping, folks wore suits with shoes on planes. And Dad wore suits with shoes every day. Shoes were what we wore. Sneakers and stuff were at best a pair of white Chucks you wore to clean out garage or to play basketball.

By 1996 Thom McAn shgut down its last shoe store. But it did not go out of business. it converted the vast majority of stores to their drug store chain called CVS. It also opened a sneaker store that did not do as well and they closed it down.

It is adapt or die. BTW John Ward Melville (January 5, 1887 - June 5, 1977) was an American philanthropist and businessman active in the "Three Villages" in western Suffolk County, Long Island, New York. He donated 400 acres of land and money to establish the State University of New York at Stony Brook in 1957, which has developed as a major public research institution. Mellville Long Island is named after him. Guess what he is the founder of CVS
I don't quite remember it like that, and I'm 70. Thom McAn sold really crappy shoes, they were the equivalent of Payless shoes today. My parents were not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination but they refused to shop at Thom McAn. My dad always wore Florsheims, my mom wore Capezio flats and my brother and I wore "Buster Browns". My mother did not wear pearls to go shopping, unless we were going shopping in San Francisco she wore Capris and a sweater. My dad wore coveralls to work every day and my brother who graduated from High School in 1956 wore Converse kicks to school

Old 12-06-2016, 10:06 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,431,255 times
Meh- It's the wave of the future, Panera Bread has had them for quite some time.
It's really no different then having self checkout at local grocery stores.

In reality it's to be expected, we as a society have created a new wave of children who are unable to socialize with a fellow human being.

Our kids are sheltered, we don't allow them to explore the world anymore because of the fear of Chester Molester.
Our current babysitters are tablets, cell phones and television.
Moms and Dads too busy trying to support a family.

I could go on and on.
In time, their time your current 5 and 6 year olds will be dealing with machines instead of humans.
That is what we will call progress and be sure we will pay a very steep price in the way we interact with fellow humans.
We were not meant to be solitary creatures, I'm quite certain the rise of depression and other Psycho/social issues will rise greatly.

At least for now we still need folks to prepare the food.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:10 AM

676 posts, read 727,202 times
Like I said before, if the employees only made $1/hr these machines would still be put in place.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:14 AM

10,785 posts, read 5,708,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
And now CVS bought Duane Reade in Canada, so they can avoid taxes here because they call themselves a Canadian company now.
CVS is headquartered in Rhode Island and has a multitude of stores in the US. How are they avoiding US taxes?

Old 12-06-2016, 11:04 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,807,235 times
Massachusetts has one of the highest minimum wages and a Big Mac is about the same price in Massachusetts as it is everywhere else. Don't let the corporate shills fool you. Companies like McD's and WalMart aren't hurting for profits or revenue. Certain organizations should get a break from minimum wage laws such as some non-profits, museums, zoos, etc. but regular companies would have to adhere to the federal level which should be about $12.50/hr.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:53 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,495,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Massachusetts has one of the highest minimum wages and a Big Mac is about the same price in Massachusetts as it is everywhere else. Don't let the corporate shills fool you. Companies like McD's and WalMart aren't hurting for profits or revenue. Certain organizations should get a break from minimum wage laws such as some non-profits, museums, zoos, etc. but regular companies would have to adhere to the federal level which should be about $12.50/hr.
Lot's of focus on the big companies like McD's , but what about the small mom and pops that don't have thousands of shops in China and other countries. McD's has over 2,200 stores in China alone.

It's conceivable that McD's could exist as a company even without their U.S locations.

Take a look at what small mom and pops often bring in after all expenses and you will see many times it's not much more than $15 hr sometimes..especially considering these people sometimes are in their stores 60 hours or more per week.
To disincentive small business this way is a risky move.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Lot's of focus on the big companies like McD's , but what about the small mom and pops that don't have thousands of shops in China and other countries. McD's has over 2,200 stores in China alone.
It's conceivable that McD's could exist as a company even without their U.S locations.
Take a look at what small mom and pops often bring in after all expenses and you will see many times it's not much more than $15 hr sometimes..especially considering these people sometimes are in their stores 60 hours or more per week.
To disincentive small business this way is a risky move.
How many 'mom and pop' stores even have employees? The ones around here are usually run by South Asian immigrants and their extended families are their employees.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:20 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,784,399 times
$15.00 isn't nearly enough to support a family, especially in a metropolitan area. Minimum wage should be at least $25 per hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment