Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2016, 06:59 PM

42,880 posts, read 26,460,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothere1 View Post
-If you flood the markets with a steep minimum wage, purchasing power for all will be reduced. Inflation will set in, it is how it works. Look at high minimum wage areas verse low minimum wage areas. Therefore, there needs to be more constructive way of going about this than just continually playing the pawn.
No, that's not the way it works...

https://economicrt.org/publication/e...f-los-angeles/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 07:31 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,684,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Then don't have kids with a deadbeat, find someone with an ambition to at least provide for themselves. It is not that easy to avoid paying, but you can't get anything from someone who doesn't work, and go to prison once in a while.

And there are a lot of benefits for single mums apart from food stamps. Take a look at this chart and see for yourself. And this chart do not include local benefits that you might get.
You do realize that people change, right? My father was in med school when my parents got married. He left soon after he got married. Changed a great deal. And their marriage went south years later.

The current benefits didn't exist when I was a child. The food stamps my mother received were for me not her. Also many women don't qualify based on their income. Child care expenses are outrageous. Rent is high in many areas. And just because someone qualifies today doesn't mean they will next year.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:37 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,684,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
As the talk increased of $15 HR Walmart in Irvine put in 20 self check out at that same time cause and effect folks.
WalMart has had self checkout in some stores for 10 YEARS! This is NOT new!

Old 12-03-2016, 08:46 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,093,219 times
As soon as Walmart increased their starting salaries recently, they started to close certain plants.
I suspect it wasn't a coincidence. A lot of unfair press by the liberal media probably forced them to take this step.

Walmart might be able to pay too much, but smaller companies can't afford to pay $15/hr for simple work.
It's a very dumb policy in the end as jobs will be lost. The benefits don't outweigh the negatives.

The Obama administration has blessed Ford transfer of car production to Mexico, even encouraging it. The Auto Unions have supported the Ford plan, without any disagreement. It's not in the US's best interest to loose these jobs or auto workers, but the Democrat party and Auto Union struck a deal that is anti-American. They always do!

Old 12-03-2016, 09:10 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,463,807 times
This is inevitable. For all the shrieking over the past few years about how the unemployment rate doesn't show a decreased labor participation rate, that is truly the new normal. We simply don't need as large a workforce as we used to due to technology. It is also culture-driven since we Millennials tend to prefer dealing with computers over people (not a diss on Millennials, just the truth.)

McDonald's tends to be an innovator in the industry -- if they are doing this now, expect the rest of the industry to follow.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:35 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,093,219 times
Quote:
We simply don't need as large a workforce as we used to due to technology.
So Millennials are all supposed to be computer programmers?

Technology did not attempt to replace those Ford and Carrier jobs, but Ford and Carrier wanted to use cheaper labor. Mexicans work for less than $15/hr and they are stealing jobs from the US, left and right.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:37 PM

30,291 posts, read 11,940,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
The Trump team just persuaded Carrier to stay in the US and instantly saved 1000 good paying jobs. It only took a phone call that Obama would never make.

Mr. Trump should talk to McDonalds, it wouldn't hurt!
You can't tell companies how to many people they need to hire. The feds should have some say so in what is imported into this country and if a tariff is needed. If this encourages companies to stay here that is different.

The future is automation in many industries. The days of unskilled labor are coming to an end. I am all for job training where it is needed for the future.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:40 PM

34,157 posts, read 17,241,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
WalMart has had self checkout in some stores for 10 YEARS! This is NOT new!

True, but I have noticed new stores open with more self checkout, fewer live cashiers. Existing ones are remodeling to accommodate that, too.

That is not unrelated. WM monitors labor costs religiously.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:53 PM

30,291 posts, read 11,940,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
So Millennials are all supposed to be computer programmers?

Technology did not attempt to replace those Ford and Carrier jobs, but Ford and Carrier wanted to use cheaper labor. Mexicans work for less than $15/hr and they are stealing jobs from the US, left and right.
Manufacturing jobs are different than food service jobs. Its not the Mexicans who are stealing the jobs but the feds creating trade deals that have allowed companies to move to Mexico. Minimum wage in Mexico is currently about $4.25 per day, not hour but day.

https://www.littler.com/publication-...imum-wage-2016

I live about an hour from the Mexican border. I know people who have families that work in the factories that used to be in the US. They work 6 days a week and make about $100 a week if they are lucky. There are people who migrate up from the southern part of Mexico where there are few jobs and are happy to get a paycheck. The companies who moved to Mexico screwed the American workers and are now screwing the Mexican workers with sub standard pay.

NAFTA was touted as a way of ending illegal immigration because Mexicans would have these great jobs and never need to move here. In 1993 Bush 1, Carter, Bob Kemp and Donald Trump spoke at a rally in California. Trump was the only one speaking out against NAFTA back then. Since Reagan granted amnesty and NAFTA was adopted we have 11 million more illegals and the only ones who have benefited are the companies who moved to Mexico.

From the Lodi Sentinel 1993:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,7925486&hl=en

Old 12-03-2016, 10:01 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,527,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
True, but I have noticed new stores open with more self checkout, fewer live cashiers. Existing ones are remodeling to accommodate that, too.

That is not unrelated. WM monitors labor costs religiously.
That is my point exactly they responded to conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment