Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 09:43 AM

9,853 posts, read 13,719,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

I know. I have to learn Spanish living here, but damn, its really hard. Why didn't we learn another language in elementary school in the U.S.? By junior high, its too late....in retirement, its REALLY too late.
I started Spanish in 7th grade and am fluent today. No, it's not hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 09:51 AM

11,200 posts, read 9,100,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I started Spanish in 7th grade and am fluent today. No, it's not hard.
It's usually very easy for kids to learn a second language. This is why it's best to start your kids early with learning a new language.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
It's usually very easy for kids to learn a second language. This is why it's best to start your kids early with learning a new language.
My point was to the quote I quoted. "By junior high it's too late."

Old 05-23-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
My point was to the quote I quoted. "By junior high it's too late."
Not necessarily. My native tongue is Spanish. I learned English when i was 6-7. I learned French and Portuguese during high school and college. (although French and Portuguese are romance languages and are somewhat interchangeable)

IF you learn a 2nd language during a young age your brain is more prone to be able to learn more languages in the future.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Not necessarily. My native tongue is Spanish. I learned English when i was 6-7. I learned French and Portuguese during high school and college. (although French and Portuguese are romance languages and are somewhat interchangeable)

IF you learn a 2nd language during a young age your brain is more prone to be able to learn more languages in the future.
yes. The brain is able to absorb language far better at a younger age. My point was, don't just stop or say "I can't do it" because you're 12-13 or assume your kids won't be able to learn another lanuage at that age. That would be ridiculous.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:40 AM

88,667 posts, read 84,959,578 times
You can learn languages at an older age, but you learn differently. The brain works differently, and no, you will not learn was well as a child does. But you can learn to some extent.

My priest (born in Italy, in the US since his 20s, which is when he learned English) recently took on learning some Portuguese in order to offer a service to the Brazilian immigrant community in our area. He is not fluent and never will be, but he learned enough Portuguese to perform the communion service in their language. He is 74 years old. He has a Brazilian parishioner translate his sermon, though.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:25 AM

2,998 posts, read 3,110,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
There are a LOT of Spanish speakers in my area, and I can tell you from experience, learning Spanish numbers on Sesame Street is NOT going to help you understand what they are saying.

It's not like watching a Spanish soap opera or game show on Univision where they enunciate each word clearly; they speak crazy fast with absolutely no break between words, so you don't even know where one word ends and the next begins. And I know Spanish numbers and basic vocabulary, and can do a passable job reading a Spanish newspaper.
You must live in an area with a large number of Caribbean Spanish Speakers, from places like Cuba, Dominican Republic, and Puerto Rico? They are THE WORST when it comes to trying to understand their spoken Spanish. A lot of native Spanish speakers from other parts of Latin America can't even understand them.

It also doesn't help those most of the low wage, Spanish speaking immigrants who come over to the US aren't very educated anyway, which also affects their speech and how well others can understand them.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
You must live in an area with a large number of Caribbean Spanish Speakers, from places like Cuba, Dominican Republic, and Puerto Rico? They are THE WORST when it comes to trying to understand their spoken Spanish. A lot of native Spanish speakers from other parts of Latin America can't even understand them.

It also doesn't help those most of the low wage, Spanish speaking immigrants who come over to the US aren't very educated anyway, which also affects their speech and how well others can understand them.
Who dare you? (I am Dominican)

Old 05-23-2017, 11:53 AM

2,998 posts, read 3,110,573 times
Quote:
Who dare you? (I am Dominican)
Hey, man, it is what it is. A lot of native English speakers can't understand Scottish people either, so...

Old 05-23-2017, 12:01 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,869,535 times
I woud take the opportunity to learn "kitchen Spanglish".
But, that is me.
I am currently learning Portuguese (100+ hours) just for a 3 week vacation to Portugal.
Learning another language also helps strengthen your English vocabulary.

Here is a free course
https://www.memrise.com/course/10016...taurant-words/

Last edited by davebarnes; 05-23-2017 at 12:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment