Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 06:33 PM

11,200 posts, read 9,100,281 times

Advertisements

Is it really unlimited PAID time off?? i know company that have unlimited time off but not paid.

I work for a company that offers 22 paid vacation days, 5 sick days. I planned out my vacation early in the year and i still have 12 days left over. I sometimes link my vacation days with federal holidays. Next year, i will not.

If i were you i would just offer 16 paid vacation days for workers for workers with 0 to 2 years then increase it by 4 paid vacation afterwards. Cap it at 32 to 36 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 06:54 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,107,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
https://www.fastcompany.com/3052926/...hat-we-learned

Why Workers May Not Benefit From Unlimited Vacation Policies | Fortune.com

So only 1% of companies in the US have unlimited PTO. If it was such a good concept, why don't more companies offer it? Many companies simply don't have that kind of staffing luxury to allow those who usually take advantage of these things to truly take unlimited time off, while shifting the work load onto their co-workers without any ounce of shame.
Sure they do! Twenty years ago. standard work culture dictated workers needed to be in their seats M-F from 8 -5. It didn't matter if they were productive or not. Now, we allow flexible work schedules, and find out people are more productive, when we allow them to work a schedule that fits their unique lifestyle and biorhythm. Then we figured out that people would still be productive, even if {gasp} their boss wasn't there watching them.

The same applies to PTO. Most people's initial reaction is to assume abuse will be rampant, but the reality is far different. MOST people take pride in their work, and wouldn't take any more time off than they normally would. Personally, I NEVER use all of my accrued time off, and I dare say most workers don't. The only time PTO comes into play is when the employee is getting ready to retire, and is looking to cash out.

Prudent employers recognize this, and just take the whole issue off the table. They let their employees know they trust them, by giving them maximum flexibility. On the other hand, they save thousands (even millions) of dollars in cash payouts.

Someone mentioned the employee who took six weeks off for her wedding. So what? The real question is, we're there arrangements made for getting her work done. Will there be abuses? Sure, and they get handled on a case by case basis, just like they currently are. Managers have one additional tool at their disposal - peer pressure. That's not really a factor when you take the "entitlement" mentality away.

The biggest issue would be workaholic employees who now have an excuse to NEVER take leave.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:08 PM

6,134 posts, read 4,622,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Sure they do! Twenty years ago. standard work culture dictated workers needed to be in their seats M-F from 8 -5. It didn't matter if they were productive or not. Now, we allow flexible work schedules, and find out people are more productive, when we allow them to work a schedule that fits their unique lifestyle and biorhythm. Then we figured out that people would still be productive, even if {gasp} their boss wasn't there watching them. .
That's a nice thought and may work for some jobs that can be run in the background anytime, but how is this going to work for jobs that directly serve the public when there's a constant flow of people in and out? Especially if there are times when a person (or a critical mass of people) has to be on staff when a person walks in the door? I'm not disagreeing with the concept. It sounds really nice, but it won't work as ideally for some jobs.

The same thing would apply for "unlimited" time off. If it's unlimited, what happens when everyone decides they want to take the same day off? Who loses their "unlimited" privilege?

Old 07-31-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
That's a nice thought and may work for some jobs that can be run in the background anytime, but how is this going to work for jobs that directly serve the public when there's a constant flow of people in and out? Especially if there are times when a person (or a critical mass of people) has to be on staff when a person walks in the door? I'm not disagreeing with the concept. It sounds really nice, but it won't work as ideally for some jobs.

The same thing would apply for "unlimited" time off. If it's unlimited, what happens when everyone decides they want to take the same day off? Who loses their "unlimited" privilege?
Yep, and alternative work schedules and flexible workplaces don't work for all jobs either. We're talking conceptual, not absolutes.

Who loses out when we have PTO banks and everyone wants to take the same time off. Who is the odd man out? No different. In fact, it's probably easier to manage, since no one is in jeopardy of "losing leave."

Old 07-31-2017, 07:34 PM

510 posts, read 501,200 times
I tend to find any gimmick like this doesn't benefit the employee per se, but rather the employer. Like, sure, there isn't a cut-off, but your absence will be noted and your manager will have his/her own vacation days quota even if they don't announce it. When you take off too much, you get to have that old meeting which starts off with..."so we've noticed you've been missing a lot of work recently"....

Old 07-31-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taluffen View Post
I tend to find any gimmick like this doesn't benefit the employee per se, but rather the employer. Like, sure, there isn't a cut-off, but your absence will be noted and your manager will have his/her own vacation days quota even if they don't announce it. When you take off too much, you get to have that old meeting which starts off with..."so we've noticed you've been missing a lot of work recently"....
And the problem with this is? It is still a workplace, so if you're missing so much time that it impacts your ability to do the job, shouldn't management say something?

I think the manager who took more time off than their employees would be the exception rather than the rule. You're right though, I think the employer comes out ahead of the game for most employees.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:23 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,184,979 times
I worked at a company that gave you 15 personal use PTO days to start and then unlimited illness related PTO days. Few, if any, abused it. Everyone understood that you were gauged and promoted based on performance and would self-regulate -- I worked there for 4.5 years and never took a sick day. Treat professionals like respected adults and they'll usually reciprocate.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:11 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,016,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post

Someone mentioned the employee who took six weeks off for her wedding. So what? The real question is, we're there arrangements made for getting her work done.
Um, no; her work suffered for it. That's why a policy/guideline was put in place.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:23 PM

8,501 posts, read 6,916,225 times
My daughter works for an insurance company that offers unlimited PTO. In reality it's just a gimmick to enhance recruitment of prospective employees. Like a lot of companies the environment is fast paced, high workload, with a significant amount of travel time that always starts on a weekend and requires much more than the traditional 40 hour week. No one could actually take "unlimited time" and meet performance deadlines and evaluations.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
My daughter works for an insurance company that offers unlimited PTO. In reality it's just a gimmick to enhance recruitment of prospective employees. Like a lot of companies the environment is fast paced, high workload, with a significant amount of travel time that always starts on a weekend and requires much more than the traditional 40 hour week. No one could actually take "unlimited time" and meet performance deadlines and evaluations.
That's because people get hung up on the term "unlimited." Does anyone really believe you could take "as much leave as you want?" What it means is, you don't have a leave bank, and my suspicion is no one is really keeping track. Instead, the focus is on the job getting done. It's a real paradigm shift. As long as people have the old model stuck in their head, they'll keep getting hung up on the terminology.

If I told you you could come in whenever you want, do you really believe you don't have to come in at all - or, worry about actually being able to get the job done?

If you go to an "all you can eat," restaurant, does anyone really believe there aren't expectations on how much you "really" eat. Trust me, there are. I've actually seen someone get ask d to leave. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment