Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 07:49 AM

6,595 posts, read 11,316,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
https://www.fastcompany.com/3052926/...hat-we-learned

Why Workers May Not Benefit From Unlimited Vacation Policies | Fortune.com

So only 1% of companies in the US have unlimited PTO. If it was such a good concept, why don't more companies offer it? Many companies simply don't have that kind of staffing luxury to allow those who usually take advantage of these things to truly take unlimited time off, while shifting the work load onto their co-workers without any ounce of shame.
I believe companies that offer maternity leave are also in the minority - does that mean it's a bad idea? The reality is that this benefit, like anything else, doesn't work for all organizations due to culture, cost, nature of business, etc. It's simply an option that can work. By the same token not everyone will want to work under this type of environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
That's a nice thought and may work for some jobs that can be run in the background anytime, but how is this going to work for jobs that directly serve the public when there's a constant flow of people in and out? Especially if there are times when a person (or a critical mass of people) has to be on staff when a person walks in the door? I'm not disagreeing with the concept. It sounds really nice, but it won't work as ideally for some jobs.

The same thing would apply for "unlimited" time off. If it's unlimited, what happens when everyone decides they want to take the same day off? Who loses their "unlimited" privilege?
Isn't that an issue that happens regardless if you had "unlimited" vacation or not? People scheduling the same time off? Last place I worked, November/December was always a concern because of the holidays as well as people trying to burn excess vacation. Not having an accrual system can help alleviate some of this since there is nothing to lose. Of course, it's still not going to solve the holiday crunch or other issues related to coverage, deadlines, etc.

I don't see it as a "gimmick". Unlimited doesn't mean you no longer have to work. It simply means they are not limiting you to a set number of days. Thus, it's potentially a few less things to plan around. But of course, you are still there to do a job. And not performing will still have you meeting with you manager - regardless of how vacation benefit is handled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 08:04 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,591,946 times
I've always had generous PTO but never unlimited. However if I did I would only take it when I felt like I could. I may take a two or three week vacation like I do now but I would let my team know 6 months or more in advance. We do this where I work and it's not a big deal. No one looks down at you for doing it. I wouldn't want a culture where this was frowned upon as it makes me a far more effective employee when I get that break every year to 18 months or so.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:45 AM

35,133 posts, read 31,425,459 times
This almost always means you cannot get it approved.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:26 AM

13,723 posts, read 12,483,548 times
I'm curious, as to how this would work in industries with specific labor needs? IE, in a hospital setting, in a laboratory, in a factory or warehouse...I guess its no different, you have to schedule everything in advance anyway in that situation to make sure they have coverage.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:49 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
That's because people get hung up on the term "unlimited." Does anyone really believe you could take "as much leave as you want?" What it means is, you don't have a leave bank, and my suspicion is no one is really keeping track. Instead, the focus is on the job getting done. It's a real paradigm shift. As long as people have the old model stuck in their head, they'll keep getting hung up on the terminology.

If I told you you could come in whenever you want, do you really believe you don't have to come in at all - or, worry about actually being able to get the job done?

If you go to an "all you can eat," restaurant, does anyone really believe there aren't expectations on how much you "really" eat. Trust me, there are. I've actually seen someone get ask d to leave. lol
''

Good point. Of course it doesn't mean you don't have to show up and you get paid but people who are clock watchers and not motivated by getting the work done can't seem to wrap their heads around the concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I'm curious, as to how this would work in industries with specific labor needs? IE, in a hospital setting, in a laboratory, in a factory or warehouse...I guess its no different, you have to schedule everything in advance anyway in that situation to make sure they have coverage.
And on the other hand, in some cases, the job itself does include clock watching, or at the very least, physical coverage during specified times. I think you could do unlimited theoretically but it would involve a lot more micromanaging of time out of the office to make sure there is coverage. So maybe there isn't a hard cap on the number of days you can take, but it's far more likely you'd be refused a request along the way, if others are already scheduled to be out that day.

Complete flexibility is rare in any job, but there are definitely different work environments that make fewer limits and more flexibility a better fit.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:01 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,066,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
From what I've heard, many companies that offer unlimited vacation also make it difficult to take it, and people end up taking less time off than defined plans. I don't think it's something I would want. I know how much PTO I get and feel zero guilt about using it all, because it's a part of my compensation.
Yup, this is true in my experience. Not a fan.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:08 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,066,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
And the problem with this is? It is still a workplace, so if you're missing so much time that it impacts your ability to do the job, shouldn't management say something?

I think the manager who took more time off than their employees would be the exception rather than the rule. You're right though, I think the employer comes out ahead of the game for most employees.
In my experience (large tech/media company...well known), it creates a psychological game between team members and management that results in gross under-utilization of PTO in general. That, and a lowered morale in many cases when people sense different acceptability levels when others take PTO vs. themselves.

Also, with the size of many departments and the complex nature of the work being done it's pretty impossible to silo what "your work" is that needs to get done before taking PTO, so rarely can one feel "done" and free to go.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:55 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,567,982 times
We have unlimited sick days but rarely are they abused. we do keep track of what we call "patterns" so an employee who calls out every Saturday (7 day a week operation) will find himself in HR.
I've been here 23 years and no one abuses the policy. we love it because people are not forced to come into work sick and getting the entire place sick.

I have unlimited sick days and was out 3 times last year.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:08 PM

1,120 posts, read 1,214,272 times
Unlimited is marketing bs. What it is really is no earned leave. It's a scheme to intimidate employees to use less leave because of unclear expectations. With earned leave, at least you can get paid for the time you didn't use.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:12 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,423,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Seems like a way to play favorites. Everyone should be given a fixed number of hours per year to avoid problems where some people get special treatment, for example hot women who sleep with the boss, etc.
Yeah...or the lazy son or son-in-law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment