Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 08:06 AM

44,382 posts, read 20,102,658 times

Advertisements

Do your other co-workers get along with this person, or does she only rub you the wrong way?

If she annoys everyone, then the problem lies with her. If she gets under your skin only, then you may simply have a personality conflict with her. You say this has been going on for years. If that's the case, then there's not much you can do besides taking the advice of Lieneke and others who suggest you schedule a meeting and sit down with this person and calmly relate your concerns.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:11 AM

18,141 posts, read 25,334,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
Do your other co-workers get along with this person, or does she only rub you the wrong way?

Great question ...
Yes, she annoys most of my co-workers
Even the ones that she doesn't work much with
There was one she got along with great .... later on found out that he, pretty much did whatever she said.

A coworker was our boss for a while (transition period) and now is our coworker again
I lost count of how many times I heard him tell her:
"No, we are not going to do it that way,
it works great for you (make her job easier) but you are going to create a mess if we do it that way"

Old 08-09-2017, 08:14 AM

7,490 posts, read 4,969,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I don't work under her
She takes our finished job and does her work

It's understandable that she would have input
but she shouldn't drive the design with BS requests just to make her job easier
Without knowing more about it, an example that comes to mind is AutoCAD type drawings and associated documentation. If you did the drawings and she did the documentation, then obviously it's necessary for you to produce the drawings in the correct way that she needs for the documentation. Although you may not understand why she needs things done a certain way, that is how she needs it. Since you are part of the team that hands off to her, cooperation seems like the best policy.

If she asks for things one way, changes her mind and wants another way, switches back again or wants something entirely different, then yes, she is the problem. However, if she consistently requests things done a specific way, then wouldn't it be best to simply ask her for a set of written guidelines regarding the requirements for her role and to meet them to the highest degree possible?

I'm curious ... is she a perfectionist, and you are satisfied when the work is acceptable?

Old 08-09-2017, 08:22 AM

Lieneke,
you are right, but that relationship changes depending on the type of work

For one thing, a big percentage of her work is in my "field of work" which she doesn't know about
so you could say that a big part of her work is actually my responsibility.

Your example with Autocad is different, because the drafter usually doesn't do any design
the engineer does 99% of the design and the drafter has 1% input.

In my case is more like 90% my input 10% her input.
And yes, she's a perfectionist .... I think in part, to seem smart, because a lot of times is picky about things that don't matter.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:22 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,444,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_bank View Post
Why wait? At least make list to take with you - for some reason when things are written down on paper, they are taken more seriously.
None of these issues are serious enough to go to HR about. It will make OP seem like a child, a whiner.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:25 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,444,574 times
Quote:
once it's designed, she takes over and gets it "certified"
She's QA, right?

That's why she is telling you how she wants the product. Because she won't sign off on it if it doesn't meet certain standards or specifications.

Perhaps listen to her and do it that way, so she will stop having to tell you about it.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:41 AM

For the people that are on her side ...
Here's one that happened and created a mess

99.99% of the products we sell are .... let's call them "Type A, B and C"
0.01% of the products is "Type D"

We got asked to make a new line of this products
Several of us agreed that we should only include "Type A, B and C" and remove "Type D" (Adding Type D increases the sizes of most parts)
She pushed for "Type D" to be included because
"She wants all the models to be done, so she doesn't have to redo her work later in the future"

It all sounds nice and pretty
Except that including "Type D" affected the equipment we designed because that one model, takes larger parts.
A lot of things had to be oversized, created A LOT of problems that we are still trying to fix.

Why?
Because this person pushed to have "Type D" included that we almost never sell
Now you ask about it, and she'll say that "X person that already left was the one that made that decision"
But I have an email proving that that's not the case.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:59 AM

29,528 posts, read 22,735,060 times
Hr

Old 08-09-2017, 09:05 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,073,972 times
Quote:
For the people that are on her side ...
Here's one that happened and created a mess

99.99% of the products we sell are .... let's call them "Type A, B and C"
0.01% of the products is "Type D"

We got asked to make a new line of this products
Several of us agreed that we should only include "Type A, B and C" and remove "Type D" (Adding Type D increases the sizes of most parts)
She pushed for "Type D" to be included because
"She wants all the models to be done, so she doesn't have to redo her work later in the future"

It all sounds nice and pretty
Except that including "Type D" affected the equipment we designed because that one model, takes larger parts.
A lot of things had to be oversized, created A LOT of problems that we are still trying to fix.

Why?
Because this person pushed to have "Type D" included that we almost never sell
Now you ask about it, and she'll say that "X person that already left was the one that made that decision"
But I have an email proving that that's not the case.
People like your co-worker are like the way they are because the perception is that "she's tough to handle". So, she lives up to that perception. The reality is, she probably just wants to be included and "heard". So, the best way to handle her, would be to approach it from her point of view. Spend some time with her. Not in a patronizing or friendly way, but to actually develop a mutual understanding. Once she see that you're on her side, she will no longer feel as though she needs that wall.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
People like your co-worker are like the way they are because the perception is that "she's tough to handle". So, she lives up to that perception. The reality is, she probably just wants to be included and "heard". So, the best way to handle her, would be to approach it from her point of view. Spend some time with her. Not in a patronizing or friendly way, but to actually develop a mutual understanding. Once she see that you're on her side, she will no longer feel as though she needs that wall.
In a way you are right, but I think it goes farther than that
It's not my opinion that she's concerned about, it's the people above

But I think she tries so hard, that she "steps on people" to give the impression that she wants to give.
I've noticed that to seem smart, she constantly criticizes things .... every now and then I throw it back saying
"Since it's bad ... tell us how to fix it?" .... she got no answer for it.

Similar to the people that tell you "Ford/Chevrolet is a piece of junk"
But they can't tell you exactly why they say that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment