Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 12:12 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,203,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
That's called scope creep. I deal with that on a regular basis. I just calmly and firmly tell them that their request wasn't in the original signed off requirements and that if they want to include this change at the last minute, they'll have to clear it with so and so and push back the expected delivery date by X number of days.

They usually back off or submit the change in an entirely different story.
Agree with this suggestion! OP, consider recommending it to your manager and team now as a way to handle her future requests.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:15 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,311,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Agree with this suggestion! OP, consider recommending it to your manager and team now as a way to handle her future requests.
Works great,
until it gets approved and then I'm told that I have 1 week to add the V8 option

Old 08-11-2017, 01:40 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,776,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'll give you an example to help you understand...

I'm told to design a line of cars,
I'm given all the information where it is stated that the line of cars is going to be 4 and 6 cylinders
after several months of work, we have a line of cars with 4 and 6 cylinders

Now, she needs to get the new line of cars certified and tells me
"Can we add a V8 model? We should try to include as many models as possible in one line
I don't want to have to do two different certificates when all of them could be one line of car
and I already put in my documents that it's going to be 4, 6 and 8 cylinders"

True, we should try to combine as many models as possible into one, but here's the problem
1. It was decided at the beginning it was going to be 4 and 6 cylinders
2. The line of cars has already been designed based on those and other parameters
3. It will take a hell lot of work to include a V8 model
4. Very likely, the 4 cylinder model is going to look ridiculous huge for the small engine is going to have (oversized for the 4 cylinder model)

That's what I have to deal with
Have you considered the fact, that she has probably been given instructions from those above here, to have a V8 model added to the design as a future option. Normally a person that is in her position is doing what she is told to do from higher up the food chain. If the higher ups tell her to add a V8 to the line, she is going to tell you what she needs. This is how it works in the real world. You blame her for such a decision, but that is not the type of decision someone in her position makes on their own.

Her job is working between those up the food chain that makes the decisions, and you that is doing the design. She was not the one that decided you should be designing a line of cars, and she would not be the one that decides an addition or change is going to be needed. She is just the go between.

If she takes it upon herself for you top add a V8 model, and those above her are not wanting such a thing done, she is the one that would be in trouble when she presents it to them. They will want to know why she had such a change made, and why she had your department spend the time and money for something that was not needed or wanted. When she wants something like this, it has been suggested or demanded from those at a much higher income level than her. The brass may at this time not be planning on building a V8 model, but they want to know if such a thing would be possible, in case they later decide to add a V8 model at a later date.

Quote:
Works great,
until it gets approved and then I'm told that I have 1 week to add the V8 option
Exactly what I was talking about above. She is in a position to know they are thinking of adding the V8 option, and attempts to get you to do it so the whole line is possible. Instead you fight it, and then there comes down with a very short time frame to make this addition, which would have worked better if it had been done in the first place.

Last edited by oldtrader; 08-11-2017 at 01:50 PM..

Old 08-11-2017, 01:55 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,879,709 times
Quote:
Works great,
<sigh>. That's tough, and all too common.

It might not work for you, but someone did this to me with some success:

Me: You have 1 week to add the V8 option.

Him: I like to make sure my managers always know the risks, so here are the risks: X, Y, Z. Given those risks, I want you to know we have a 15% chance of adding the V8 option in 1 week, a 50% chance of adding it in 7 work days, and a 90% chance of adding it in 8 work days, and we can commit to delivering it in 9 work days.

Or something like that.

Then, the discussion switched from the number of days to complete the addition of the V8 option to the risks involved and what we all could do to mitigate the risks and deliver the V8 option successfully.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Have you considered the fact, that she has probably been given instructions from those above here, to have a V8 model added to the design as a future option. Normally a person that is in her position is doing what she is told to do from higher up the food chain.
In that case, I would gladly do it
but I know that is coming from her just because she wants to make her job easier

And then everybody else is stuck doing all the hard work adding that V8 option

Old 08-11-2017, 02:29 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,311,645 times
Quote:
Works great,
If your boss is on board with you doing this, then you kind of have to. So suck it up and do it, or find a new job.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:25 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,687,508 times
Quote:
In that case, I would gladly do it
but I know that is coming from her just because she wants to make her job easier

And then everybody else is stuck doing all the hard work adding that V8 option
How does it make HER job easier? She can't add the V8 option either way. She either tells you earlier that the V8 option should be added or you get told later and have a shorter window in which to complete the V8 option because management wants it anyway, and wants it ASAP. I seriously doubt it was her idea to add the V8 option.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
How does it make HER job easier? She can't add the V8 option either way. She either tells you earlier that the V8 option should be added or you get told later and have a shorter window in which to complete the V8 option because management wants it anyway, and wants it ASAP. I seriously doubt it was her idea to add the V8 option.
I explained it,
she doesn't want to do certification of 2 lines
so she pushes combining the 2 lines into one to make her job easier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment