Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 09:39 AM

254 posts, read 458,100 times

Advertisements

Second bachelor's degrees are a bad idea for motivated people 99% of the time. Op is right to seek a masters. Masters program will often allow you to take only the parts of the undergrad needed as prerequisite, so you get the masters in fewer classes than a brand new bachelor's. Keep in mind masters if 1/4 of the classes of a bachelor's. So even if you take a lot of leveling classes the masters is faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 09:56 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,558,027 times
Accounting would start the OP on a good career path.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:32 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinson View Post
Second bachelor's degrees are a bad idea for motivated people 99% of the time. Op is right to seek a masters. Masters program will often allow you to take only the parts of the undergrad needed as prerequisite, so you get the masters in fewer classes than a brand new bachelor's. Keep in mind masters if 1/4 of the classes of a bachelor's. So even if you take a lot of leveling classes the masters is faster.
Can't generalize that much with a Masters. Masters in what is important. Example, you can't get into a decent engineering Masters if you don't have the basic undergrad to do engineering.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Can't generalize that much with a Masters. Masters in what is important. Example, you can't get into a decent engineering Masters if you don't have the basic undergrad to do engineering.
This is true. You need the prerequisite undergraduate classes. There is no way around that, but with an actual bachelor's you may end up having to take other classes that aren't related to engineering because of school general requirements. Many schools, but not all, will let you take just the engineering undergrad classes as non-degree seeking student then you apply for the masters. It might mean finishing in 2/3 the time with a masters that it would take to get the bachelors.

This is of course true only for people with some form of bachelor's usually. However, if I had a business degree I wouldn't go for engineering I don't think, but I don't know alot about engineering. I would go comp sci, information systems, statistics, accounting, economic, ie something that cross pollinates alot with the corporate world.

Old 09-24-2017, 03:04 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,752,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by York40 View Post
My Bachelor's degree didn't give me any real skill-set for jobs. What Master's degree would?

I currently have a BBA and it's not very helpful.
Any masters degree....... Jobs look for talent nowadays . The credentials are just the price of admission.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:39 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by York40 View Post
That's what I'm facing right now with my bachelor's degree. The paper isn't enough, and neither are my prior job experiences. So I'm at a loss of what to do or where to go to provide some stability and get the ball rolling on jobs I could start a career on.
Correct, a piece of paper in Business Management is not going to be enough and neither will a Masters if you ARE looking to be in a management role. That's something that needs to be learned on the job and is typically a role you grow into with a company. The paper might get you in the door, but you will still need to work your way up. The only thing that comes to mind is you might have the skills to start your own business of some sort, but again you need more than the piece of paper to get started, you'll also need capital.

When you started college and picked that major, what was your career plan/goal? What did you actually want to do as a career? That's what you need to ask yourself!

Old 09-24-2017, 06:43 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Have you considered the MLIS - Master of Library and Information Science? Sure, I'm biased, but it really is a useful and interesting degree! I had a lot of fun in graduate school, and came out fully armed for a professional library job. Since it's the basic requirement for any public librarian position, you really can get a job straight out of school, then work your way up (to management or different fields of librarianship) if you so desire. I would strongly recommend an internship along the way, though.

And despite popular belief, libraries are still alive and well; and depending on the state/county, usually have plenty of open positions. You won't become a millionaire on our salaries, but at least you'll likely be comfortable and secure. If you are interested, start here: Directory of ALA-Accredited and Candidate Programs in Library and Information Studies | Education & Careers

FYI: It literally doesn't matter what BA/BS you have, as MLIS programs are open to all... some require taking the GRE, while others just have a minimum GPA requirement. And if your undergraduate degree is in business management, you're perfectly set up to become a library manager one day. They actually make good money.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Have you considered the MLIS - Master of Library and Information Science? Sure, I'm biased, but it really is a useful and interesting degree! I had a lot of fun in graduate school, and came out fully armed for a professional library job. Since it's the basic requirement for any public librarian position, you really can get a job straight out of school, then work your way up (to management or different fields of librarianship) if you so desire. I would strongly recommend an internship along the way, though.

And despite popular belief, libraries are still alive and well; and depending on the state/county, usually have plenty of open positions. You won't become a millionaire on our salaries, but at least you'll likely be comfortable and secure. If you are interested, start here: Directory of ALA-Accredited and Candidate Programs in Library and Information Studies | Education & Careers

FYI: It literally doesn't matter what BA/BS you have, as MLIS programs are open to all... some require taking the GRE, while others just have a minimum GPA requirement. And if your undergraduate degree is in business management, you're perfectly set up to become a library manager one day. They actually make good money.
Every option is right for some people, but forbes lists library and info science as the 4th worst masters degree to get for getting a job. Median salary of $50k and lack of available jobs...its behind only music and journalism. Anecdotally, I know 2 people who received this degree more than 5 years ago and have been unable to find a job in the field.

Forbes link: https://www.forbes.com/pictures/fjle.../#1e4354f86726

Basically the best are all in 3 categories: Software/Data/Healthcare.

The worst are mostly liberal arts or just really specialized (sports management, library science, etc).

Old 09-25-2017, 06:46 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,071,862 times
Given the demographics of America, I can see that a Masters in mortician/funeral director/undertaker would be quite helpful.

Just saying.....

Old 09-25-2017, 08:00 AM

973 posts, read 914,379 times
Going off what you have as an undergrad, have you considered an MBA...maybe in strategy consulting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment