Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 09:13 AM

7 posts, read 38,185 times

Advertisements

I had a job interview on 10/13, almost 3 weeks ago and I aced it. The hiring manager told me I'd start in 3-4 weeks once my drug test and background check were processed and that as long as I reply to all emails his secretary sends me, there won't be any probpems. This Friday will be 3 weeks and I haven't heard back from them yet. No emails or phone calls. I don't do drugs and have a clear record so there shouldn't be any problems with my drug test or background check.

I got a call today from another company who wants to set up an interview with me. This company would probably pay a little less but it's only 20 minutes from my.house as opposed to an hour away.

What should I do? Email his secretary and get an update? What would I say? Ignore the phone call about the new interview and hope to hear back about the first job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 09:22 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Do the interview. Why not? An interview isn't' a commitment.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Do the interview. Why not? An interview isn't' a commitment.
I'm just not sure what to say if they want to hire me and I have this other job lined up. It would be a difference of probably $400 a month and the one I'm waiting on comes with health insurance. The interview I got a call about today is for a local subway restaurant and I'm assuming only minimum wage and no insurance.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:29 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,781,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.daniels View Post
I had a job interview on 10/13, almost 3 weeks ago and I aced it. The hiring manager told me I'd start in 3-4 weeks once my drug test and background check were processed and that as long as I reply to all emails his secretary sends me, there won't be any probpems. This Friday will be 3 weeks and I haven't heard back from them yet. No emails or phone calls. I don't do drugs and have a clear record so there shouldn't be any problems with my drug test or background check.

I got a call today from another company who wants to set up an interview with me. This company would probably pay a little less but it's only 20 minutes from my.house as opposed to an hour away.

What should I do? Email his secretary and get an update? What would I say? Ignore the phone call about the new interview and hope to hear back about the first job?
Go for the interview and don't look back.....(Check your spam folder? I have found some emails I missed there)

Old 10-31-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Go for the interview and don't look back.....(Check your spam folder? I have found some emails I missed there)
I've checked my primary and spam folder everyday. I'm hoping the holdup is just them trying to get everything processed.

Do you have any advice for what to say in an email if after 4 weeks I still haven't heard from them?

Old 10-31-2017, 10:16 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,445,439 times
Quote:
I've checked my primary and spam folder everyday. I'm hoping the holdup is just them trying to get everything processed.

Do you have any advice for what to say in an email if after 4 weeks I still haven't heard from them?
Have you reached out to them???
Depending on how thorough a background check they're doing, along with how large the company is.. I've seen it take well over a month to clear a new employee.
Call them.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:23 AM

29,509 posts, read 22,627,074 times
Go for the interview.

I still see people making the same mistaken assumption time after time in this forum, that is, assuming you have the job without an offer letter in hand.

I don't understand why people keep doing this. A verbal offer is not an offer. An aced interview is not a job offer.

Only AFTER you get an official offer letter in hand can you say you got the job offer.

Never assume anything. Reach out to the other company and ask for an update. Go on the other interview. Why would you not go on an interview on the assumption you will get an offer from the other company? Then if you don't get an offer, you screwed yourself out of another opportunity.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:52 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,252 times
Quote:
I'm just not sure what to say if they want to hire me and I have this other job lined up. It would be a difference of probably $400 a month and the one I'm waiting on comes with health insurance. The interview I got a call about today is for a local subway restaurant and I'm assuming only minimum wage and no insurance.
I doubt that jobs at Subway are that hard to come by and another could show up at any time. Call the first company and ask for an update. But, there's no reason to turn down an interview with the second company.

Health insurance and $400 a month are nothing to sneeze at. Now, the hour commute might be.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:58 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post

Health insurance and $400 a month are nothing to sneeze at. Now, the hour commute might be.
The health insurance alone is worth the hour commute, hands down.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:11 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
hey go ahead and go to the other interview and let them know that they are in competition with another company for your person and skills . I have done this several times and always , always hands down got the job . now is 400 a month is what they are paying ? is this a legit company or just something you got in your email box and you replied to it ? sounds like a scam . sorry but I would do the other job interview hands down . After 3-4 weeks I would say forget that it aint happening . It sounds like you never had a firm offer .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment