Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 03:01 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,456,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
If you're a man, don't be mad that you can't find a good woman to marry you. And if you decide 10 years from now your priorities change, don't be mad at others your age who have it made.
Come ON - not all women give a flying fig - for a lot of women, being able to take care of themselves is more important!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 03:07 PM

6,465 posts, read 7,808,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foster913 View Post
In the long run whatever you do...chase the cheese and compete fiercely against your peers to eat at a better restaraunt...or sit back and do just well enough and keep to yourself and your own hobbies all the while working on your inner self and finding inner peace....You will die the same. Don't ever let anyone else tell you what to strive for or tell you any thing bad about your life We are floating in space living in a consumer driven system that has brainwashed us since we were sent off to learn our training to be a part of the system set up by those to keep themselves at the top since 1st grade. Only one rule....try to be happy because very very soon none of us will be here and none of your status or money will make any difference. To quote metallica---sad but true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Well said no point in being the richest man in the graveyard.
Problem is that too many use the OP's argument as an excuse to slack off.

I don't care about being the richest but I do want to have a good balance - enough to live comfortably, nice home, have a family, etc. - without worrying about debt. That can be achieved without being tortured. We are indeed floating on a rock in space, I personally want to make my time as good and comfortable as possible. I don't want to live a struggled life and die at 60 in a junky apartment because of poor nutrition. Inner peace can be found while making a good living.

OP, don't make excuses. Try.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:31 PM

21,966 posts, read 13,019,895 times
I think that's quite a healthy attitude. Most young people think they have to have some amazing, high-falootin', fulfilling dream (not job, but) career and are quite unrealistic in their expectations, refusing to settle for anything less. Very refreshing!

Old 11-20-2017, 04:12 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,129,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
I'm in my late 20s and I still don't have a "career plan." I think that I just don't want a career, and that people in the United States put too much emphasis on their career in their lives.

I want to have a job I like, but I don't really care to have a career. I want to LIVE my life and not have it revolve around work.

Thoughts?
You'll get far, and retire comfortably.

Old 11-20-2017, 04:15 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,129,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis View Post
If you can pull it off, do it. You might have to be poor and have a lot related inconveniences in your life. Some people live off of a few thousands a year, live in a van, and travel the world. More power to them.
Sure they can, but they smell and have bad teeth.

Old 11-20-2017, 04:22 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,870,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
Come ON - not all women give a flying fig - for a lot of women, being able to take care of themselves is more important!
Yeah sure... lol and they describe guys who want to have fun and not work as total winners right?

Old 11-20-2017, 04:23 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,798,324 times
Quote:
I'm in my late 20s and I still don't have a "career plan." I think that I just don't want a career, and that people in the United States put too much emphasis on their career in their lives.

I want to have a job I like, but I don't really care to have a career. I want to LIVE my life and not have it revolve around work.

Thoughts?
Too many people do NOT sit down and look 25-40 years in the future either. Some of them are those you see on the side of off ramps. Some are living out of vehicles sleeping at rest areas. It's not that you don't need to have a career, but you DO need a plan for your life.

Or you'll regret everyday after you turn 55.....

Old 11-20-2017, 05:07 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,913,403 times
I have a "career." I have a good income. I don't live to work. If I want to take 2-3 more steps up the career ladder, I'd need to spend a lot more time working. I don't necessarily need that.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:14 PM

6,774 posts, read 5,075,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
OP, life is full of opportunity. You don't need a college degree to make good money ~ in fact I suspect future trends will show better money in "trades" than in most college career paths. You don't need to stick with one line of work to make good money either, I have an in-law who's been a teacher, a portrait /wedding photographer (making $20k per event) and is now about half way through a medical program to be a doctor. Do what you want. Me, I haven't had a paying job in over a decade (wife works 3 days a week) and yet we own a 2,200sq/ft historic house, spent a few weeks in Europe through September, and are lacking absolutely nothing. While my wife has a medical degree, she sees it as a job and has pushed all attempts at "furthering her career" to the side. It's more important that we have time to enjoy life, and having a 4-day weekend every week allows us to do a lot of travel which is how we enjoy life.

So I guess you're suggesting that the OP marry a doctor

Old 11-20-2017, 06:03 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,460,254 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
I've done many different things in my life. Worked on ships, trains, missile systems, cars, heavy machinery, HVAC. I've done it all over the world. I would go to Russia 4 times a year for 14 years doing electrical work on their Metro locomotives. The last place I like to be is chained to a desk. For any amount of money.

I am not rich but i'm not poor either. When it comes to family I am wealthy as can be. My skill set allowed me to create a stable life for my children and they are now doing well. Do what you like and expand on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment