Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 11:52 PM

493 posts, read 514,600 times

Advertisements

I'm in my late 20s and I still don't have a "career plan." I think that I just don't want a career, and that people in the United States put too much emphasis on their career in their lives.

I want to have a job I like, but I don't really care to have a career. I want to LIVE my life and not have it revolve around work.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 03:31 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,752,745 times
ok

Old 11-20-2017, 03:51 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,498,910 times
What thought are needed? It's your life. Live how you want but don't blame a "career" for poor life/work balance.

Funny how I know dozens of people with six figure salaries and careers whose lives don't revolve around work.

Old 11-20-2017, 04:36 AM

4,952 posts, read 2,707,183 times
Default What Do You Do?

Do you work?

Old 11-20-2017, 06:30 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,698 times
You will have to accept a life of poverty.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:47 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,280,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
I'm in my late 20s and I still don't have a "career plan." I think that I just don't want a career, and that people in the United States put too much emphasis on their career in their lives.

I want to have a job I like, but I don't really care to have a career. I want to LIVE my life and not have it revolve around work.

Thoughts?
Nothing wrong with that. As long as you are fine with whatever outcome it brings for you.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:50 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,348,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Oh come on. I know a lot of people who make GOOD money and don't necessarily live to work. Me included. You can do well for yourself in what I could call a "job" where you simply do what's required, don't work yourself to death with crazy hours and don't try and move up the corporate chain for more money and more stress.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:15 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,414,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
LOL!!!

OP, life is full of opportunity. You don't need a college degree to make good money ~ in fact I suspect future trends will show better money in "trades" than in most college career paths. You don't need to stick with one line of work to make good money either, I have an in-law who's been a teacher, a portrait /wedding photographer (making $20k per event) and is now about half way through a medical program to be a doctor. Do what you want. Me, I haven't had a paying job in over a decade (wife works 3 days a week) and yet we own a 2,200sq/ft historic house, spent a few weeks in Europe through September, and are lacking absolutely nothing. While my wife has a medical degree, she sees it as a job and has pushed all attempts at "furthering her career" to the side. It's more important that we have time to enjoy life, and having a 4-day weekend every week allows us to do a lot of travel which is how we enjoy life.

So, do what you like. Don't worry about what others think/say as they don't know it all anyway. Half the nay-sayers will simply be jealous that you're taking a path they wish they had, the others are content with theirs but only because that's all they know.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:24 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,925,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post

Thoughts?
That's the way I've always worded my work life. I'm 52 and doing just fine. Not a corporate climber, but stable and making good money. I'm at a company now working no nights, and no weekends (although in past jobs of done a little of that at times). It's out there.

And I'm certainly not living a life of poverty.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:41 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,735,540 times
Differentiate between career, work, passion, and laziness. I have quite a few friends who have never held a traditional job. They work long enough to make some money then head out. Several live in their vans or their pickups. They climb, ski, backpack, travel, write, etc. They have passion and live it every day. While none of them have a traditional career, they pay their own bills and are in no way lazy.

That being said, at some time they will need to build a retirement nest egg to, at a minimum, take care of heath care. They all know this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment