Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 06:57 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,408,055 times

Advertisements

im 55, work for the same company 33 years, i dont have a career, I have a job, I hated it the first day, and i still hate it, but im good at it, the company not that bad, the job sucks. but it pays the bills
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 07:35 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,256,648 times
People's definitions of "career" and "job" seem to be all over the map.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:55 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,515,594 times
What is a job vs a career?

I'm an Xray tech, my husband is a dispatcher for a major airline. Do we have jobs or careers?

Old 11-21-2017, 04:01 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,060,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
I'm in my late 20s and I still don't have a "career plan." I think that I just don't want a career, and that people in the United States put too much emphasis on their career in their lives.

I want to have a job I like, but I don't really care to have a career. I want to LIVE my life and not have it revolve around work.

Thoughts?

You might already be too old to have a career. Most people with careers have already put a lot of things in motion by the time they were 28. Like deciding on a purpose, college or technical school preparation, internships, etc. In 2 years you'll be 30, and in 10 more you will be a middle-aged 40. Too late then as you start the process of disintegration. This is your time, and trust me it will go fast.

The term career shouldn't scare you as it appears to. It just means finding something you love to do, preparing to do it professionally, and then finding someone willing to pay you to do it. It's not a negative, it's the best thing in the world.

A "job" is OK, but it's usually a dead end. A career is open ended, with improvements and possibilities and benefits that expand with experience. It's a source of money, but it's also a source of pride. It's a good thing. It's better than a job. A life well lived includes a career. A life avoided includes "jobs".

Reconsider your position, the clock is ticking. You have way less time than you think.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:18 AM

811 posts, read 623,572 times
Ya gotta love these people who light firecrackers and run away.
Reminds me of an arsonist who stands in the shadows and watches his handywork.

What makes any of you think the OP is serious? Or does that even matter around here?

Old 11-21-2017, 06:20 AM

95 posts, read 89,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
Ya gotta love these people who light firecrackers and run away.
Reminds me of an arsonist who stands in the shadows and watches his handywork.

What makes any of you think the OP is serious? Or does that even matter around here?
A good topic is a good topic. This is a forum where people get to discuss topics so what's the difference. I don't think the OP is trolling in any way. Many people feel that way.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:12 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,667,132 times
I don’t have a career I have a job. I also make 6 figures, have a healthy retirement fund, a defined pension plan and will have full medical insurance in retirement. I also clock out at the end of my shift and go home and enjoy the really important things in life.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:20 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,667,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
You might already be too old to have a career. Most people with careers have already put a lot of things in motion by the time they were 28. Like deciding on a purpose, college or technical school preparation, internships, etc. In 2 years you'll be 30, and in 10 more you will be a middle-aged 40. Too late then as you start the process of disintegration. This is your time, and trust me it will go fast.

The term career shouldn't scare you as it appears to. It just means finding something you love to do, preparing to do it professionally, and then finding someone willing to pay you to do it. It's not a negative, it's the best thing in the world.

A "job" is OK, but it's usually a dead end. A career is open ended, with improvements and possibilities and benefits that expand with experience. It's a source of money, but it's also a source of pride. It's a good thing. It's better than a job. A life well lived includes a career. A life avoided includes "jobs".

Reconsider your position, the clock is ticking. You have way less time than you think.
Depends on the job, I have a job that pays 6 figures, has a defined pension plan that includes medical insurance for life, plus a matching 401k, 5 figure bonuses, absolutely free medical, dental, vision insurance for family coverage and at the end of my day I go home and enjoy the really important things in my life. No stress of a career I clock out and I’m done for the day.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:26 AM

3,263 posts, read 3,781,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
LOL!!!

OP, life is full of opportunity. You don't need a college degree to make good money ~ in fact I suspect future trends will show better money in "trades" than in most college career paths. You don't need to stick with one line of work to make good money either, I have an in-law who's been a teacher, a portrait /wedding photographer (making $20k per event) and is now about half way through a medical program to be a doctor. Do what you want. Me, I haven't had a paying job in over a decade (wife works 3 days a week) and yet we own a 2,200sq/ft historic house, spent a few weeks in Europe through September, and are lacking absolutely nothing. While my wife has a medical degree, she sees it as a job and has pushed all attempts at "furthering her career" to the side. It's more important that we have time to enjoy life, and having a 4-day weekend every week allows us to do a lot of travel which is how we enjoy life.

So, do what you like. Don't worry about what others think/say as they don't know it all anyway. Half the nay-sayers will simply be jealous that you're taking a path they wish they had, the others are content with theirs but only because that's all they know.

Anyone else think this is BS? 20k for a wedding photographer? I realize wedding photographers are insanely expensive and imo, one of the biggest racquets out there. But $20,000? You're trying to tell me that your in-law can work 3 weddings and make more money than the average american household earns a year?

Not buying it.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:37 AM

6,465 posts, read 7,812,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
What is a job vs a career?

I'm an Xray tech, my husband is a dispatcher for a major airline. Do we have jobs or careers?
A career is something you build. It's a specific field that you stay in with the goal of learning more about and developing yourself. It can be gray and can be wide or narrow. For example, one can say that you have a career in healthcare - this would be especially so if you become lead Xray tech or become a nurse, or hospital administrator. You would be taking the skills you have and building on them and developing yourself. A career is about depth and growth. A job is not. Much of it is a mindset - if there are two plumbers, one can consider him/herself to have a job and the other can consider it a career. The one who considers it a career is looking to learn and develop their skills. The other is looking to put in a days work.

IMO, a career is more fulfilling.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment