Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2017, 02:35 PM

9,692 posts, read 7,440,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Every worker has a right to a living wage. Adjusted for inflation, that would be about $21/hour today. In this country, people who put in an honest day's labor should be able not only to survive, but to thrive.
no they dont, the labor wage is what the market can afford. If they no way the employer can make a profit at your so called living wages then he must either lower the labor cost or increase the product cost.

Some business, increase the product cost will not work.

so in order to lower labor cost, one must agree to a lower wages or go somewhere else.

you agree to work for a certain amount of money
you agree to work in a safe enviroment

that is all an employer owes you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 02:36 PM

17,818 posts, read 13,608,151 times
Why not?

I think that I am worth $500.00 an hour

Old 12-04-2017, 04:42 PM

923 posts, read 531,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Why not?

I think that I am worth $500.00 an hour
HAHAHAHAHA!!! I had an employee tell me that he was worth $1000/hr(jokingly). I told him I'd pay him $1000/hr.......but I'll count the hours.

Great post, Mike! Made me laugh.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:08 PM

661 posts, read 842,850 times
If we raise the minimum wage it will be a net zero effect on the entry level worker as inflation will raise along with it. It could also make our products more expensive and equate to less exports, that could be another negative.

Raise the cost of employers to do business, they have to raise the costs of their good or services. There is not such things as a free lunch as they say in Economics 101.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:14 PM

20,944 posts, read 8,745,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzalugano View Post
If we raise the minimum wage it will be a net zero effect on the entry level worker as inflation will raise along with it. It could also make our products more expensive and equate to less exports, that could be another negative.

Raise the cost of employers to do business, they have to raise the costs of their good or services. There is not such things as a free lunch as they say in Economics 101.
Of course, Germany and Denmark and other real world example negate your theory, but I don't suppose older minds change that easily.

Or, to put it simpler, the money is there. It is being spent on weapons, on 4X the normal price health care, on jails and being shunted to the very rich.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:45 PM

9,692 posts, read 7,440,070 times
germany and denmark are also going broke

Old 12-04-2017, 07:54 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,125,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
germany and denmark are also going broke
Really? The same Germany whose debt:GDP has been falling for 7 years: https://tradingeconomics.com/germany...nt-debt-to-gdp

The same Germany whose debt to GDP is currently 68.1%, where the USA is at 106.1%?

Maybe Denmark is going broke faster? Hmm. Nope. Debt to GDP is 37.7%.

Maybe those facts show that increasing minimum wage is good for the economy?

Old 12-04-2017, 09:06 PM

6,316 posts, read 6,886,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Really? The same Germany whose debt:GDP has been falling for 7 years: https://tradingeconomics.com/germany...nt-debt-to-gdp

The same Germany whose debt to GDP is currently 68.1%, where the USA is at 106.1%?

Maybe Denmark is going broke faster? Hmm. Nope. Debt to GDP is 37.7%.

Maybe those facts show that increasing minimum wage is good for the economy?
Isn't it interesting how... Germany and Denmark provide all these services and better wages to expense ratios... but have significantly less debt than we do?

It really makes you think

The more money people have, the more they spend. But if you also have too much money, and your needs and wants are met beyond your wildest dreams, then whats left to do with it? Save. So there is a cap on that. You ever have so much of something you don't like it anymore OR it loses its value? Money is no different.

What is the preferable option, to stash money in the Bahamas or buy a slightly more expensive house? Or more food on the table? Or better quality roads and schools (higher tax base)? To me getting the better house, more food, and more school funding is a much better idea, economically, than stashing the money internationally and avoiding taxes.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:13 PM

7,013 posts, read 4,963,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
If you want a living wage, go get an education which will enhance your chances of securing a job that will allow you to do so.

That's not rocket science, folks.
And pay for it how? Specifics, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
If everyone gets a degree it kind of waters down the value of them. It's already happened. I see job postings that require a bachelors paying $12 an hour with no benefits.

But this is what big corporate wants. They want to kill wages in literally every industry from tech to even now I see skilled trades being gutted. If they had their way (and they will) they would require a masters degree for a minimum wage job.

Back when I was younger, (many decades ago) a bachelors degree, in anything would the sure ticket to a middle class job. Now you're lucky if you get the shift manager job at McDicks.
That doesn't have anything to do with watering the degrees down. That's just hiring managers being stupid. My cousin had to have a Bachelor's for the job she does and after 18 years, she still can't figure out why - she says there's nothing she does in her job that couldn't be done by a high school graduate, provided they can read and write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
no they dont, the labor wage is what the market can afford. If they no way the employer can make a profit at your so called living wages then he must either lower the labor cost or increase the product cost.

Some business, increase the product cost will not work.

so in order to lower labor cost, one must agree to a lower wages or go somewhere else.

you agree to work for a certain amount of money
you agree to work in a safe enviroment

that is all an employer owes you
Then please explain to me why many employers think they own their employees, body and soul.

If employers don't owe anything to their employees, why do they think their employees need to be on call for any shift at any time without paying them for it? Why can't employees post what they want online without running a risk of getting fired? What gives the employer the right to look at your health records or your credit score (be grateful they can't ask for your Facebook password anymore)? Why can't employees take a second job without getting permission from their first employer? Why are employees required to come to work in dangerous weather conditions? Why are employees expected to attend meetings and participate in company sanctioned events without pay? Why are employees forced to work when they're sick?

Why do employers expect their employees to put up with threatening customers, back to back shifts, no overtime pay, harassment (sexual and otherwise), and do all that because if they don't, they'll be told to find another job?

Employers expect their employees to put up with all of that, but still don't want to pay a living wage.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:22 PM

436 posts, read 304,649 times
They aren't worth $15 but $16.50 where we live

Min wage should be work geared towards those who choose to live simply, getting by with the bare minimums in life-food, shelter, clothing, and a bare level if medical care.

Otherwise those who want more can strive for more. And those jobs pay more.

When we make min wage jobs as valuable as going on welfare, then there is no reason to work. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment