Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2017, 12:01 PM

923 posts, read 530,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleNicole View Post
You can do 1000 odd jobs, that is not consistent income.

You can't count on an odd job as an official income. Yes you may make extra money here and there but that is not something to be dependent on.
Sorry, I must have not wrote what I was thinking.

What I'm saying is that if you work a 40 hour week there are plenty of hours in the day and weekend to supplement your income.

You are certainly correct that doing odd jobs as your main source of income can be risky. I was talking more of supplementing your income to make ends meet or for building up savings for when a major/minor expense comes alone unexpectedly.

I do apologize for the disconnect from my brain to my fingers, happens even between my brain and my mouth. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 12:06 PM

529 posts, read 510,750 times
Humble and kind, I don't think whqt youre saying applies to large urban enviroment or anything but the hardcore suburbs. Very few will let you shovel their snow or watch their kids. Snow contractors are big business around here. Most neighbors with townhouses are served by a multiple man crew. *Maybe it's just buddies who got together (small business). Good on them. But that means the Lone snow shoveler has practically no clients. Grouos willing to shovel ALL snow falls for a set fee a season offers a much better deal than the individual. And anyone with able bodied children has the kids shovel for free. We hqve constant snow here though. Places with more spotty snow falls I coukd see a market to make pennies. **I'm not saying there are no ways to earn extra cash here and there, but it is absolutely not as simple as saying LOL I feel like making extra money today doing stuff. I mean, I guess someone coukd just walk or drive to a suburb, ring every doorbell, qnd ask if they need any help with anything they'd be willing to pay. Maybe that woud work. Never tried it and hve no need to. My time is more valuable and I won't wake up one day crying over hiw I wish I'd worked more.

Baby sitting is eh since hiring boys is an unwritten no no. And the simple fact it's dependent on FAMILY getting you started. Adult men will under almost no circumstance baby sit as side income to supper ent their 40 hour work week because no one woukd give them the job. I wouldn't.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:07 PM

268 posts, read 283,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
Sorry, I must have not wrote what I was thinking.

What I'm saying is that if you work a 40 hour week there are plenty of hours in the day and weekend to supplement your income.

You are certainly correct that doing odd jobs as your main source of income can be risky. I was talking more of supplementing your income to make ends meet or for building up savings for when a major/minor expense comes alone unexpectedly.

I do apologize for the disconnect from my brain to my fingers, happens even between my brain and my mouth. lol
I understand but even as supplementing income it can not be dependent on. Everyone has the opportunity to make extra money, sure.....but the main point is, people shouldn't have to supplement their income just to get by. People should be able to work a reg 40 hr work week and at least be able to afford to rent a room and other things as needed.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:00 PM

9,692 posts, read 7,431,034 times
there plenty of jobs that dont pay minimum wages

Old 12-10-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by startingfromscratchagain View Post
Humble and kind, I don't think whqt youre saying applies to large urban enviroment or anything but the hardcore suburbs. Very few will let you shovel their snow or watch their kids. Snow contractors are big business around here. Most neighbors with townhouses are served by a multiple man crew. *Maybe it's just buddies who got together (small business). Good on them. But that means the Lone snow shoveler has practically no clients. Grouos willing to shovel ALL snow falls for a set fee a season offers a much better deal than the individual. And anyone with able bodied children has the kids shovel for free. We hqve constant snow here though. Places with more spotty snow falls I coukd see a market to make pennies. **I'm not saying there are no ways to earn extra cash here and there, but it is absolutely not as simple as saying LOL I feel like making extra money today doing stuff. I mean, I guess someone coukd just walk or drive to a suburb, ring every doorbell, qnd ask if they need any help with anything they'd be willing to pay. Maybe that woud work. Never tried it and hve no need to. My time is more valuable and I won't wake up one day crying over hiw I wish I'd worked more.

Baby sitting is eh since hiring boys is an unwritten no no. And the simple fact it's dependent on FAMILY getting you started. Adult men will under almost no circumstance baby sit as side income to supper ent their 40 hour work week because no one woukd give them the job. I wouldn't.
I can't argue that at all. The area I'm in is not big city. I haven't had any experience in anything larger than about 75k pop.

I should have added that to my posts.

I do apologize. Thanks for the correction.

Wait, I'll baby sit.......but only during commercials during a football game. lol

Old 12-10-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I understand but even as supplementing income it can not be dependent on. Everyone has the opportunity to make extra money, sure.....but the main point is, people shouldn't have to supplement their income just to get by. People should be able to work a reg 40 hr work week and at least be able to afford to rent a room and other things as needed.
As far back as I can remember, people have had to supplement their income to pay for what they couldn't afford. Also, who said 40 hrs is max hours? Min wage goes up, how about the hours in a work week? Lets say 60 hours is now the norm as $15/hr is MW

Old 12-10-2017, 03:38 PM

5,858 posts, read 3,273,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just hanging out View Post
At minimum?

I'm curious.
If minimum wage was raised by $5 (which is about 50% what it is now), what about all those who are making $15 an hour now with college degrees in entry level specialized positions? They won't get a $7.50/hour raise. They will be making the same as those in positions that do not require special skills or education. Is this fair?
I'm very open to hearing differing opinions without getting into an argument.

What do you think YOU'RE worth?
I'd like this to be an open discussion with no attacks or party-blaming (dems/reps)

In the current economy at about $9-10 an hour as minimum wage, I'd say I'm probably worth $21 an hour.. With a specialized masters and a license to practice therapy. Second year out of school.
The average household budget is 63,784 according to: https://www.valuepenguin.com/average-household-budget

Assuming a 40 hour work week one must make $30 per hour to support an average life style.

The wealthy are putting helicopters on their yachts with a pilot on board their ships and they can't afford $15 an hour.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:39 PM

13,027 posts, read 13,928,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
...That being said, I too have some issues with raising minimum wages to $15 - not because I don't think they should be making that much, but because (like you said) it doesn't have any immediate effect on those of us NOT making minimum wages...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
How does someone making $15/hr affect you in the slightest?

Economics teaches us that yes, indeed, raising the minimum wage to $15 from a much lower number increases demand for the above-minimum-wage (low & moderate skill) worker.

See see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Substitute_good

The textbook example is that raising the price of wheat increases the demand for corn, and raising the price of oranges increases the demand for apples.

This substitution effect applies in labor economics as well. Increasing the price of minimum wage (largely unskilled) labor does indeed increase the demand for more highly skilled employees. Employers will substitute higher quality semi-skilled workers for the largely unskilled workforce at some point as the minimum wage goes up.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:53 PM

13,027 posts, read 13,928,203 times
Quote:
If only it were that easy. I've been seeing jobs that pay only $1-$2 dollars more than minimum wage and require a bachelor's degree with experience.
And I've seen secretarial jobs, no degree required, that pay $75,000/year with no overtime.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:57 PM

529 posts, read 510,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Economics teaches us that yes, indeed, raising the minimum wage to $15 from a much lower number increases demand for the above-minimum-wage (low & moderate skill) worker.

See see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Substitute_good

The textbook example is that raising the price of wheat increases the demand for corn, and raising the price of oranges increases the demand for apples.

This substitution effect applies in labor economics as well. Increasing the price of minimum wage (largely unskilled) labor does indeed increase the demand for more highly skilled employees. Employers will substitute higher quality semi-skilled workers for the largely unskilled workforce at some point as the minimum wage goes up.
Even reading that, I still don't think minimum wage shoukd be 15 an hour. I think the whole minimum wage discussion is like treating symptoms and not the disease. Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
And I've seen secretarial jobs, no degree required, that pay $75,000/year with no overtime.
Hard to believe you. The no overtime part is what makes e skeptical. Like, I figure the secretary of the VP of some company or wtv couod easily just be a man or woman who has been at this a long time and has proven their reliability. Hmm. So that person recently hqving moved on, I guess the VP is looking for someone similar. They need good work horse with proven wins, but no overtime can't be true. Just can't. Besides , I believe you'd need 10 years of experience for that at minimum. So even without a degree proper, ya got your education in the school of hard knocks. Unfortunately, i think a lot of position in that style are dying off. At keast where I live you need to get a piece of paper to hang on your wall for every damn thing. Main thing I dislike abut this place. The universal health care is nice though. ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment