Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 03:11 PM

13,289 posts, read 8,499,258 times

Advertisements

Retail,no such thing as holiday off. Before,during,after. Thank God I am out of that debacle of a place!
Worked medical yrs back. No biggie to work those holidays. Our patients deserved someone to care,their families sure as tarnation's didn't.

My network job had way better time off company wide. Loved getting extended weekend. Or paid to not come in because of road conditions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 03:56 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,589,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Friday is NOT a holiday.

If you want tons of time off, move to France
It totally depends on the company you work for. In my company - it is a company holiday. They ask for volunteers to come in.

I used to be one of them until they quit offering any kind of financial incentive for doing so.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:55 PM

5,513 posts, read 4,490,857 times
I generally enjoy working the day after Thanksgiving. I almost never visit family because both the roadways and airways are an extra hassle around that time (when it's driving, it's much more worth it to visit the week before or after, and use a vacation day to get that extra time. I find such a tradeoff to be worth it... one vacation day to avoid traffic), so I'm generally by myself anyways. Working 8 hours saves me that much that would've been used up by PTO, and I'm adding more to my PTO bank too!

Old 11-26-2017, 10:06 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,668,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Who says that we do not?

Our company actually lists this day on our holiday calendar, so while it may not be a holiday to you, to my company's HR, it counts. Sorry.
I wasn't quoting you. I quoted the OP.

Look on a calendar. Black Friday isn't an official holiday. Some companies may consider it a holiday, but many don't. What's next? Christmas Eve? New Year's Eve? Day after Christmas? Day after New Year's Day? Day before Easter? Day after Easter?

Old 11-26-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatbox View Post
Some people take this time of year to enjoy the fruits of their labor.
One can eat and not eat until they're bloated for a couple of days.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
We have become a country full of blind lemmings. So easily exploited, manipulated, brainwashed and abused. Its sad. Do you see many bloated execs working holidays or good Fridays? Its almost like a big "rah rah" speech these days and people are proud of themselves for working holidays just to put more money in the guys who take off's pockets.
Depends where you work. Many executives do work holidays, day before holidays, and day after holidays. Good Friday? I don't know of anyone who gets Good Friday off except some schools.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:37 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,731,934 times
Unless you work in the emergency services, a restaurant or retail, if your company makes you work the day after Thanksgiving, you work for a lousy company.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:04 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,377,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Look on a calendar. Black Friday isn't an official holiday. Some companies may consider it a holiday, but many don't. What's next? Christmas Eve? New Year's Eve? Day after Christmas? Day after New Year's Day? Day before Easter? Day after Easter?
Why does it bother you what days a company chooses to have off?

Anyway, I was off the day after Thanksgiving but I worked Thanksgiving. I was only off Friday because I'm off Fridays/Mondays when I work the weekend. My husband's company isn't even based in America and they gave them Friday off.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:26 AM

10,928 posts, read 7,460,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I wasn't quoting you. I quoted the OP.

I think many companies are closed the day before Easter; it's always a Saturday.

I used to work at UC Berkeley. They closed down at noon on Christmas Eve and reopened January 2nd. We could take the time without pay or use vacation days, but they didn't want us around the campus.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:39 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,133,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
Unless you work in the emergency services, a restaurant or retail, if your company makes you work the day after Thanksgiving, you work for a lousy company.
This generalization is ridiculous. Should all non-emergency services just be shut down on that day? Should ships remain undocked? Should all TV and radio just shut down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment