Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 05:26 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,037,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
+1.
-10 Aussie workers get 4 weeks minimumPTO plus 13 holidays, and our country's QoL puts america's live to-work-to-make-the-greedy-1%-richer, culture to shame.

We do just fine here, profits are still made, companies thrive, and we do it all while treating the workers like human beings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 05:31 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,037,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
This being said, instead of France, you need to look at Russia, China, N Korea, Cuba or Venezuela
How about Australia??

More workers rights= more workers have a chance to succeed.
Nah- most of you "screw the worker" types couldn't cut it in a country where the playing field is more level. Only in 'Murica where it's tilted towards the privileged few that exploit those that actually DO work, can those types survive. Best stay where the deck is rigged in your favor

Old 11-25-2017, 05:42 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,332,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Legally, you are technically correct, but the same can be said for New Years, July 4th, Thanksgiving and Christmas. No company has to close or provide holiday pay on this, or any other day.

Many choose to observe it as a paid day off, the exceptions being retail and essential services, such as police, hospitals and the like.

Why do you have a problem with holidays, and seemingly sneer at France, China and the like?
If it's a red number on the calendar, I get it off with pay. Friday is not. The others you mentioned are.... Along with MLK, Labor, Memorial, Columbus, and Dead Presidents days. Did I forget anything? Veterans Day.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:50 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,956,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Friday is NOT a holiday.

If you want tons of time off, move to France
My employer always remains closed on the day after Thanksgiving.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:56 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
As does mine

Sounds like some haters on this thread.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:03 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,701,292 times
The last company I worked for I was in non-union, but 80% of the company was repped by Unions. I got Friday as a company holiday since the Union people got it.
However, when I worked for a bank I always worked on that Friday. Banks can't be closed 4 days in a row.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:08 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,555,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
The last company I worked for I was in non-union, but 80% of the company was repped by Unions. I got Friday as a company holiday since the Union people got it.
However, when I worked for a bank I always worked on that Friday. Banks can't be closed 4 days in a row.
That's the problem with Right to Work. You are also entitled to the benefits the union negotiates on behalf of it's dues paying members, by law. It is still burdensome nonetheless for the union to be required to represent non-members. If they do not, they can be sued under the fair representation clause.

Quote:
Right to fair representation. You have a right to be represented by your union fairly, in good faith, and without discrimination. Your union has the duty to represent all employees - whether members of the union or not-fairly, in good faith, and without discrimination.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:44 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,772,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
As does mine
Mine was closed, too.

So was one of my adult son's place of employment.

And also one of my other adult son's place of employment.

The only son who had to work Friday (AND Thursday) was the one who lives in Europe.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:27 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,701,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
That's the problem with Right to Work. You are also entitled to the benefits the union negotiates on behalf of it's dues paying members, by law. It is still burdensome nonetheless for the union to be required to represent non-members. If they do not, they can be sued under the fair representation clause.
I was in management, not eligible for the union. We got some of their benefits, but not all and not the union support if there was an employment issue.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:47 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Friday after Thanksgiving isn't a holiday. No need for a day off. If you get it off, consider yourself lucky.

Why on earth would you still be bloated on Friday? A turkey isn't a single serving. I don't understand why people eat until they're sickly for 2 days. Just because it's a holiday doesn't mean one needs to eat everything in sight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment