Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 09:06 AM

666 posts, read 649,566 times

Advertisements

We used to have this rule at my job but it was enforced at supervisor discretion. They had the power to make a judgement call and still make employees eligible for the pay on a case by case basis. Had nothing to do with the payroll dept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 09:49 AM

11,765 posts, read 14,725,824 times
Of course the employer has the discretion to apply this or not.

I can see why some employers adopt a rule like this: they don't want employees to fake a sick day in order to extend a holiday. It doesn't really make sense if you have a system of combined time off, because there is no incentive to call a particular day a sick day instead of a vacation day. It also doesn't make sense if the employee has a documented medical reason, like the ER discharge summary.

I don't think I've ever worked for an employer that had this level of distrust for its employees, but there is no denying that an employer has the discretion to set its policies and enforce those policies as it sees fit.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:55 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,302,870 times
If you worked here, you wouldn't get paid.

Scheduled days off are fine - but not unscheduled (or unexcused) absences. I was on leave all last week and still received my holiday pay. If I called out Monday, I lost them and would have had to use leave.

I don't know what you expect them to do - if they break the rules for you, they have to break them for everyone.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:20 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,806,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I don't know what you expect them to do - if they break the rules for you, they have to break them for everyone.
This. ^^^ I doubt you'll be successful in obtaining an exception. Personally I wouldn't even ask.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:40 AM

6,601 posts, read 9,035,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
It doesn't really make sense if you have a system of combined time off, because there is no incentive to call a particular day a sick day instead of a vacation day. It also doesn't make sense if the employee has a documented medical reason, like the ER discharge summary.

I don't think I've ever worked for an employer that had this level of distrust for its employees, but there is no denying that an employer has the discretion to set its policies and enforce those policies as it sees fit.
Quote:
If you worked here, you wouldn't get paid.

Scheduled days off are fine - but not unscheduled (or unexcused) absences. I was on leave all last week and still received my holiday pay. If I called out Monday, I lost them and would have had to use leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
This. ^^^ I doubt you'll be successful in obtaining an exception. Personally I wouldn't even ask.
OP, how large is your company? Did they recently switch from categorized time off (vacation, sick, personal) to a combined "PTO" bank?

If it's a small enough company, it's worth bringing up. This scenario may be something they hadn't considered when creating/updating the policy. If you don't ask, then they may never even realize that their policy played out like this.

In any case, Jack is absolutely right. This employer isn't garnering any loyalty by being stingy like this.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:45 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,302,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post

In any case, Jack is absolutely right. This employer isn't garnering any loyalty by being stingy like this.

Ummm, this is standard practice at many companies, it has been for every company I have worked for.

I've never worked for a small company, though.

Either way, exceptions are not generally made in regards to payroll/HR as it opens the company up to litigation. No, holiday pay is not a right by law, but I do believe there is a mandate to apply company policy equally. The OP is asking them to violate that.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:48 PM

6,601 posts, read 9,035,939 times
Quote:
Ummm, this is standard practice at many companies, it has been for every company I have worked for.

I've never worked for a small company, though.

Either way, exceptions are not generally made in regards to payroll/HR as it opens the company up to litigation. No, holiday pay is not a right by law, but I do believe there is a mandate to apply company policy equally. The OP is asking them to violate that.
I think OP would be asking them to change the policy, not to violate it. Even if it's just a change effective for the future, it's still a good thing. If the company is a large 10,000 employee corporation, it's not worth bothering with. If it's an 80 person shop, it's worth bringing it up for sure.

And I don't think it's that standard of a practice, especially in places with combined PTO. There's a big difference between calling in with the sniffles and having an unexpected, documented trip to the emergency room.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:05 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,348,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box*of*rain View Post
Ok cool. That's what I needed to hear. I think I might talk to someone tomorrow to see if I can at least get one of those days paid.
Appreciate it, old fed.
Terrible idea, you will come across like a whining drama queen. The holiday pay you are losing can only be a few hundred bucks maximum. Is your job security and reputation worth that?

Old 11-29-2017, 01:27 PM

407 posts, read 372,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Terrible idea, you will come across like a whining drama queen. The holiday pay you are losing can only be a few hundred bucks maximum. Is your job security and reputation worth that?
Well, for some, a few hundred bucks can be the difference between covering your bills for the month or not. So while only the OP can know how the company will react to the question, if it's phrased delicately enough, I don't think it hurts to ask if an exception can be made.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:35 PM

20,779 posts, read 20,117,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box*of*rain View Post
Rule at my job is you must be at work the day before and the day after the holiday to get paid. I understand that. I know that. Fine.

However, is this 100% black and white or can exceptions be made? I was at the ER Sunday night and didn't come to work on Monday. Came in today with a doctor's note but they don't care. So now I lost holiday pay plus Monday's pay. Just curious if these rules are made to be broken or if it's a law or whatever.

And please don't be nasty with your response. I'm asking because I am curious and want to know if you've ever experienced something like this where an exception was made.

Thanks in advance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
OP, how large is your company? Did they recently switch from categorized time off (vacation, sick, personal) to a combined "PTO" bank?

If it's a small enough company, it's worth bringing up. This scenario may be something they hadn't considered when creating/updating the policy. If you don't ask, then they may never even realize that their policy played out like this.

he already did ask. I would not press the issue since they clearly expressed no sympathy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment