Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 07:19 PM

289 posts, read 450,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I think if I were the manager and you brought me proof of your ER stay and a doctor's note saying to stay home Monday, I would waive it.
Yes. This. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 07:40 PM

289 posts, read 450,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
we get five weeks vacation, so we had one gut take every monday off for the 25 weeks. according to company policy, it was legal
Lol! Bad. Ass. But super annoying if you were his co-worker.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:40 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Wow... That's total BS. I'm glad my employer doesn't operate that way. He's extremely generous with PTO and extra time for holidays - we're getting a 4-day weekend for Christmas this year, and this won't be the 1st time he's done that since I've been working there. That's why his turnover rate is very low, to the point where we have employees with 25-48 year tenures. I'm in my 16th year.
LOL.
I work for local government. Turnover is non existent and the benefits are great. We are also getting a four day weekend for Christmas. Christmas Eve is a paid holiday, as long as you work the scheduled day before and after.

Not sure why people are clutching their pearls over this.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:14 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I think if I were the manager and you brought me proof of your ER stay and a doctor's note saying to stay home Monday, I would waive it. But sometimes we are dealing with upper-level HR management and they make the rules.

+1 he was in the ER, not like he was on vacation; however, that's just my opinion. If it's a smaller company they may understand and be flexible. Larger companies not so much, but I would definitely ask as you have a legit excuse!

Old 11-29-2017, 09:19 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
we get five weeks vacation, so we had one gut take every monday off for the 25 weeks. according to company policy, it was legal, but it put everybody else in a bind covering for him. he became number one lay off. Boss say, we really just dont need you

so it it written, that still doesnt make it right. maybe it was written to keep people from laying out. we get paid for day after turkey day, but we have to clock in for one minute. He does that just in case there something that has to be covered. last 33 years, nothing needed to be covered, but we was there just in case

My DH gets 5 weeks of PTO a year. He has been taking every Friday off in the months of November and December for the last 18 years. Always approved and no one ever said a word about it.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
My DH gets 5 weeks of PTO a year. He has been taking every Friday off in the months of November and December for the last 18 years. Always approved and no one ever said a word about it.
That's not the same thing being discussed here.

And what if other people wanted Friday off? Is it fair to give them all to your husband? Maybe no one says anything because it has not been an issue yet.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I think OP would be asking them to change the policy, not to violate it. Even if it's just a change effective for the future, it's still a good thing. If the company is a large 10,000 employee corporation, it's not worth bothering with. If it's an 80 person shop, it's worth bringing it up for sure.

And I don't think it's that standard of a practice, especially in places with combined PTO. There's a big difference between calling in with the sniffles and having an unexpected, documented trip to the emergency room.

Changing policies are not that easy for large companies. Handbooks exist for a reason, so that everyone knows and follows the rules.

I also wonder what the sick leave policy is for this company.

Here you are only required to bring in a doctor's note for the third day or longer of an illness.

OP I have a union so my workplace rules do not apply. But it was this way where I have worked prior to this.

What are you going to do?

Old 11-30-2017, 04:55 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
LOL.
I work for local government. Turnover is non existent and the benefits are great. We are also getting a four day weekend for Christmas. Christmas Eve is a paid holiday, as long as you work the scheduled day before and after.

Not sure why people are clutching their pearls over this.
Christmas is a paid holiday for us REGARDLESS of whether we work the business day before or after. We don't get penalized for the occasional unplanned absence. If something prevents me from going to work the Friday before, I'm still going to get my Holiday Pay for Monday and Tuesday.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:35 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
We accrue 21 days of PTO throughout the year.

I hired in at the end of last August. Basically all of my PTO accrued from the time I hired in until the end of the year went to "pay myself" for the five mandatory days off - Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Black Friday, Christmas, New Year's.

If a holiday falls on a Thursday, as in Thanksgiving, or a Tuesday, like July 4th this year, we have to take the adjacent Friday/Monday too.

If you don't have the PTO, you do not get paid.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:04 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,193,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Talk to whomever you want, but policy is policy. Your payroll dept will override your boss when it comes to payroll policy.
Unless your boss happens to be the CEO or owner of the company. If it's not illegal, payroll will do whatever they say to do. On the quiet of course.

I know because I've worked for one or the other most of my career and I've seen "company policy" stretched, bent, obliterated, exaggerated, suddenly changed, ignored, for a certain individual or on a 1-time bases at the owners/CEO's request. No one in payroll wants to argue with the big boss if they want to keep their job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment